• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what type of locker?

Ramsey said:
what kind of locker or slip can go in an 8.25 without having to have the gears reset
Lock Rite

i know some things on Andy at CarloinaRockShop so regear is not much $.

2offroad said:

In that case if all proceeds from the bike transaction are meant to go towards the jeep, that will give you r&P front and rear and Detroit F&R and maybe even have some $$ leftover!

2offroad said:

You blackmailing Andy?? Hmm, that's an interesting tactic, I'll have to try it! :D

Ary

blackmail is such a ugly word.

i prefer extortion.

All of the limited slips are full carrier replacement, so you are resetting the gears. The "lunchbox lockers" don't require reset, and the best of those would probably be the No-Slip by Powertrax.

I'm not sure I'd trust the 8.25 on 33/35" tires for hardcore use without replacing the carrier...but that's up to you. The 8.25 drums are worthless with big tires, so if you plan on keeping that axle, factor in the cost of a disc conversion kit.

Your best axle bet is a Toyota 8". Clearance of a D35 with the strength to handle 35's. The 8.8 is a big pumpkin for 33's...you're gonna drag that thing in the rocks.

Nay

What is the Toyota 8" bolt pattern?

Safari Ary said:

And with all the money you save you can start on a front Waggy 44 with the same bolt pattern. 4.88's & a Detroit for $550? Damn. Was that just the third member? Even so, you can get a housing for $100.

Why this swap isn't hotter is beyond me. 1" better diff clearance than an 8.8 is a major deal.

Nay

kid4lyf said:
I'm running a rear Detroit and front ARB and I love it. I would absolutely NOT ever go with a front full time locker. When I'm locked in front the handling is miserable, and that's with 32s. I'll spend a day at the Badlands and use the front a couple seconds at a time, when needed, and then shut it off. 95% of my trail time is spent with the front unlocked. If you don't like ARB go with one of the other selectable lockers out there.
Kid, and ARB is not a locker, it is a selectable full spool, and that is why your handling is miserable when locked. Have you ever had an auto locker?? With an auto locker, as long as torque is not being applied to the pinion, the front wheels should freewheel through turns (i.e. when costing through a turn rather than powering through it.)

Dan

Well with an auto locker in the front, wouldn't it just be noticable in 4wd? I've heard that the noslip is invisible in 2wd...

the toy axle is out because of the bolt pattern. still wondering if the rear disc are worth $500. the C8.25 will hold up for me and 33"
thinking f & r regear to 4.10, Detroits f&r Terra 2 low and AA SYE about $1700 in parts labor i can do. still the rear disc pops to mind.
either the 8.8 with disc or transfercase mods?

2offroad said:
the toy axle is out because of the bolt pattern. still wondering if the rear disc are worth $500. the C8.25 will hold up for me and 33"
thinking f & r regear to 4.10, Detroits f&r Terra 2 low and AA SYE about $1700 in parts labor i can do. still the rear disc pops to mind.
either the 8.8 with disc or transfercase mods?

A 29 spline 8.25 is plenty for 33's. I believe you can adapt it for ZJ disc brakes and keep conversion costs under $200. Yes, it is worth the money.

An 8.8 with factory 4.10's and factory discs is a much better bet, IMO. Find a D30 with 4.10's (4 cyl XJ) and you save the gear costs, too.

Nay

I have a d-30 front, Chry.8.25 rear in a 2000XJ, I have had both locked with a Lock-Rite in front, No-Slip in the rear for about 2 years now. It is my daily driver; all seasons, all conditions, wheel it hard, and have absolutely NO complaints about the set up. I installed both myself; easy to do, in expensive, works great!! By the way I run 265/75R16's, no problems there either.
matt

Deepest gears for the 8.8 is 5.13, just to correct Woody's SPOBI. ;)

CRASH

Try 6.14 from Yukon for the lowest 8.8 gearset possible.

and with the $1500
you could do detroits, gears and minimum install kits with enough left over to probably pay most of the install fee, depending on who does the install.
and I think Ketjar would agree to the detroits. you could save a few $$$ by going with ezlockers front and rear. then you might have enough to do an SYE and CV shaft.

Rawbrown said:
Try 6.14 from Yukon for the lowest 8.8 gearset possible.

and with the $1500
you could do detroits, gears and minimum install kits with enough left over to probably pay most of the install fee, depending on who does the install.
and I think Ketjar would agree to the detroits. you could save a few $$$ by going with ezlockers front and rear. then you might have enough to do an SYE and CV shaft.
Yup..... I love them on the street so far :D and if you figure the cost of a new carrier up front (gotta get a new one) it gets you even closer to a full case locker. And rear... well might as well upgrade. Get in touch with Ryan (RawBrown) and talk to him as he sells the stuff.

i'll tell you tomorrow after i get mine installed in the front(lock rite)

Back