• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what trails are on your "must do" list?

XJEEPER said:
Great stocker backtire wheelie shot, nice one of Mil's backside too.......I hope he comes to the 25th event.

Should I post Mil's cell number so everyone can call him to make sure he comes? :D

or just PM me. :)

Must do trails for me:

Always,

Moab Rim
Rusty Nail

This year,

Coyote
Porcupine Rim

DrMoab said:
What rig are you bringing?

I'm bringing the buggy. Actually, I'd love to bring the XJ and do a bunch of cool scenic trails that I haven't done before, and have something to drive around town in. But, we're doing a Best of the West reunion so we're going to be doing some playing. I'll drop the camper in the campground and tow the rig around. It should be fun coming back down Prittchet. :D

Goatman said:
I'm bringing the buggy. Actually, I'd love to bring the XJ and do a bunch of cool scenic trails that I haven't done before, and have something to drive around town in. But, we're doing a Best of the West reunion so we're going to be doing some playing. I'll drop the camper in the campground and tow the rig around. It should be fun coming back down Prittchet. :D

.....what did you wheel at BOTW before you built the buggy? :D

:laugh3:

Well I have a pretty decent fear of heights, what are the trails that take you rather close to the edge of some decent drop offs so I know what to avoid.

Thanks for the link

Barney said:
1. Hells Revenge
2. PS-GS-GBR
3. Moab Rim
4. Steel Bender
5. Kane Creek (never done)
I'm liking Barney's answer....

But you have to add the (never done) to all trails in Utah. So as I read more about some trails, more could be added, some deleted.....

And may very according to my wifes pulse rate after the first day.... It will be her first wheeling trip.....

Kejtar said:
Then make sure Moab Rim is on the last day :D
But I really want to do it. So, I was kinda thinking it should be the first day.... Just in case she she says no more..... Then I can say that I did it......

IntrepidXJ said:
.....what did you wheel at BOTW before you built the buggy? :D

:laugh3:

True..........but once you pass over to the dark side, you can't ever go back. :D :D

Don't know that it has an official name, and its not "Moab" per say, but I started a trail from Goblin Valley westward toward the north end of Capitol Reef NP. It skirts along the south end of the San Rafael Swell and fords Muddy Creek. Didn't make it very far due to summer heat and a car sick son but would be alot of fun in Fall or Spring. There are some great hiking possibilities along the way like Little Wild Horse Canyon. I could see spending a couple three days in the area.

Burgers at Ray's Tavern in Green River on the way back to Moab.

mtmike said:
What trails are suitable for someone with open/open and 30x9.50s? Also what is the best Moab guide book that you guys recommend?
I will have my front recovery points on in the next week or two and I already have a hitch in the rear (properly mounted with nutstrips). I've got all the other requirements of fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and CB covered. Unfortunately I don't have the money to do a whole lot more before then. This will probably be my best chance to get to Moab and I would just like to know which trails I can do without trashing my rig and/or becoming a hindrance to the rest of the people on the trail.

Trails I ran at stock height, 235's, open/open in 2006:

Tusher Canyon (near Mill Canyon), Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau (starting at Dewey Bridge), Hidden Canyon. No problems whatsoever as long as you are a decent driver and know when to use momentum and not to use speed. Take "ribs" running across the road at an angle to keep at least one wheel on top of them at all times. Disco front swaybars are very helpful.

Rod Knee said:
Don't know that it has an official name, and its not "Moab" per say, but I started a trail from Goblin Valley westward toward the north end of Capitol Reef NP. It skirts along the south end of the San Rafael Swell and fords Muddy Creek. Didn't make it very far due to summer heat and a car sick son but would be alot of fun in Fall or Spring. There are some great hiking possibilities along the way like Little Wild Horse Canyon. I could see spending a couple three days in the area.

Burgers at Ray's Tavern in Green River on the way back to Moab.

That is a decent drive, and I need to go back and hike those canyons but it is a little bit out of the way from Moab. It would be ok on the way in or out if you are going past that general direction for those seeking some extra adventure while traveling. There are great burgers to be had in Hanksville after finishing that trail as well.
LseScrws06_01.jpg

Looks like Morrison Formation your'e traveling through there, xjblue. I'll bet its nasty when wet. I recall some graded parts of the road like that starting out heading west and then getting onto a 4wd only part about half way to Muddy Creek.

Rod Knee said:
Don't know that it has an official name, and its not "Moab" per say, but I started a trail from Goblin Valley westward toward the north end of Capitol Reef NP. . . . .

Good chance that's the "Wild Horse Mesa Trail". Ends up going past Factory Butte down to Route 24 (west of Hanksville). Great ride!

Actually, the whole San Rafael Swell - Capitol Reef - and Maze section of Canyonlands is a really nice section of Utah with plenty of stunning areas and trails to explore. I never seem to have enough time to do it justice - one of the best campsites I ever had was at Cathedral Valley in the N.P.

Which is why I'm probably headed to the 25th celebration of few days early, so I can spend some more time west of the Green and Colorado before I come back to Moab for the "official" festivities.

MG

Rod Knee said:
Trails I ran at stock height, 235's, open/open in 2006:

Tusher Canyon (near Mill Canyon), Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau (starting at Dewey Bridge), Hidden Canyon. No problems whatsoever as long as you are a decent driver and know when to use momentum and not to use speed. Take "ribs" running across the road at an angle to keep at least one wheel on top of them at all times. Disco front swaybars are very helpful.

Good to know - seeing as I'm also open/open with 30s (and front sway disco).

Mike in NJ said:
Good chance that's the "Wild Horse Mesa Trail". Ends up going past Factory Butte down to Route 24 (west of Hanksville). Great ride!

Actually, the whole San Rafael Swell - Capitol Reef - and Maze section of Canyonlands is a really nice section of Utah with plenty of stunning areas and trails to explore. I never seem to have enough time to do it justice - one of the best campsites I ever had was at Cathedral Valley in the N.P.

Which is why I'm probably headed to the 25th celebration of few days early, so I can spend some more time west of the Green and Colorado before I come back to Moab for the "official" festivities.

MG

Canoeing the Green is a blast too! Did Mineral Bottom to the Green/CO confluence a couple years ago. An XJ and a canoe are a great combo to take to Utah.

Back