• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tools/parts do you pack for offroading?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
heading out to rausche this weekend, first time I've managed to get my truck offroad in years. I'm packing the essential recovery equipment (winch, hi-lift, tree saver, snatch, etc) tools (assortment of ratchets, breaker bars, pliers, etc) and fluids.

What's on your checklist?

Along with the basics, I like to carry a few specialty items such as the socket for the front axle nuts, 12 point socket for the hub bolts, etc... I also carry some wire and electrical connectors and crimpers. Oh, don't forget a BFH. It is amazing what you can fix with that one tool.

When I'm going to a race, I have 2 toolboxes and 2 big totes for all my tools. That list is very long.

toolbag_zpsyskeut9d.jpg

I also carry a ziplock bag with one of every sensor, a pair of spare hubs, and many times spare axles. I also carry extra fluids and serp belt.

i carry all tools I think I may need to do common jobs, like a good ratchet/socket set, a set of metric & SAE combination wrenches, a set of torx sockets, and of course a 13mm 12 point socket & 36mm socket for hub removal.

Other than that, spare fluids and spare axle shafts.

I'm in Pa, about 1 1/2 hours away from RC and was considering going this weekend as well. Not to hijack your thread, or invite myself, but what day will you be there? Just wanted you to know in case you needed anything or forgot to pack a tool, or part that there's a fellow NAXJA member in the area. I'm trying to clear things to go Sat. Pm me if you want to exchange numbers. If I don't here back have a fun, safe trip.

I'm heading out from NY-- Friday night, meeting up with a guide at 8:30am, just doing a half day.

Gotcha. Still, I'll be close enough if you have a major issue. Have a great time and if you need anything let me know.

thanks bro!

HA... I definitely over-packed. I'm carrying a full three-drawer "carry" tool chest with a full sae/metric set, a full set of vice grips, every imaginable hose (a spare upper lower hose, ps hoses, etc), spare serpentine, spare u-joints (despite the fact I've never *actually* replaced them), hose clamps, full set of fluids, and a bunch of other crap.

And of course, as I'm shutting everything down last night, I decide to test the on board air. instantly blows a fuse (had installed far too low of a amp fuse). and of course, it's the only type of fuse I don't have -- I moved the battery to the back a while back, and installed a power distrubution block, and have those big azz fuses.

AND, just for shits and giggles, checked my tire iron, and of course it's the wrong size (I'm a chevy guy).

so, after packing all this crap, the two things I'm MOST likely to need - air and a tire iron -- were a fail. Wonder what other obvious thing I'm missing.

Fuel. Don't forget to fill up! Lol

I also pack an extra air filter. I went through the tubes at the Badlands and soaked my filter. Took me forever to figure that out. I usually save the old one when I service the jeep for this very reason now.

When I get home from Phoenix I'll have to pull it all out and stop a picture of it.

Lessee...screen name "Devildog"... location "MCAS Miramar"... The story "It's a trap. There's two of them." comes to mind.

Better warn the sniper.

:eyes:

LOL. Out here for Marine Week Phoenix. I'll be back next week. I was about to start listing stuff off but realized I'd forget stuff I have in there. But I have heard of the I-10 issue.

This is my day trip wheeling setup. Tools don't really change much between this and my multiday packup. Just added stuff for camping and what not go in.

20lb CO2 tank. And the black bin hold my tools. The soft bag on top is cooking/emergency overnight gear. Stuff gets added to that when I do planned overnights. But I'll just post about the tool box.
12032274_10207973150592739_3500554130729818779_n.jpg

12011156_10207973150952748_4961847853076298190_n.jpg

11863389_10207973151272756_7997173295858976559_n.jpg

Top to bottom left to right
12046729_10207973151672766_4452457521630673213_n.jpg

-15ft Goodyear air hose and Campbell Hausfield inflator/gauge

-30 ft 30,000 lb tow strap

-"Mobile Power" jumper pack with built in 400 watt inverter, 12v outlet, and compressor. The small bag ontop of it contains all the power adpaters. You can charge a vehicle though it's power port or I can hook it to my Jeep when running to charge it back up when running the trails so it's fully charged for camp site use.

-Stanley Wal Mart tool kit. Has so far had most of what I need to work on the Jeep especially with the weird Metric/standard hardware the XJ has had over the model years.

-Chicago Electric (Harbor Freight) Drop light powered by Jumper pack

-Tire worm tools and valve core remover kit with spare valve cores and spare valve stems

-General Purpose First Aid Kit. A smaller "blowout/immediate action" kit is in my day bag which goes with me at all times.

-50cal Ammo can with snatch block, shackles, tree saver strap, and a spare axle shaft u-joint and drive shaft u-joint. I really want to add a ball joint press to this getup to make u-joint changes way easier.

-Breaker bar and long extension that won't fit in my tool kit

-Craftsman 12V LiIon drill. Usually carry the charger with me on multiday trips and run it off the inverter if I have to.

-Electrical parts kit with various connectors fuses, test light, spools of red and black wire, a cheap multimeter, and a spare Crank position sensor.

-Winch Control

-1lb Rubber mallet. A 3 lb mini sledge usually goes with this as well but I've only got one right now so it's in my shop tool box.

-Food for emergency overnight stays. A TOTM (downsized MRE) and a can of random soup from the cupboard.

-Fiberfix wrap. This is the same stuff the use to make casts with now. Very easy to use and is very strong. I've used it to fix broken shift and brake levers on motorcycles after they've been dropped.

-Set of TiN drill bits

-Speakers for Iphone.

-Tool kit bag which has it's own break down below.

12011265_10207973151952773_960744404506949909_n.jpg

This tool bag rides in the plastic box and carries all of the misc stuff that doesn't have it's own case/bag ect.

-Soldering Iron and solder

-one spool of .20 safetywire and one spool of .40 safety wire. My .32 roll is lost to the gods somewhere. Need to order a new spool.

-Electrical/crimping pliers

-Magic Eraser. Not sure why I carry this in the Jeep. Really need to move that to my shop tool box.

-Tape Measure..........for measuring suffs

-various socket adapters

-Quick Steel and electrical tape

-Safety Wire pliers.

-Large and Small vice grips.

-Zip Tie gun

-Attachment to turn a 2 liter bottle into a makeshift shower. Works pretty good actually.

Back