• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to do, NP242

A/C guy

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guy's. I am brand new to the jeep world and just bought a 99 xj sport. I ordered a rubicon express 5.5 long arm kit and need to know what to do with my transfer case. ive seen oodels of things for the NP231. I dont know what my options are. ive heard of hack and tap, but is that it?

Thanks, A/C guy

Lots of guys run the 242 with a hack'n'tap with great success. Your success will all depend on the quality of the installation. That is the only option for the 242. Your other option is to swap in a 231 with a slip-yoke eliminator. You can pick up a 231 for less than $100 if you look around.

I wanted the full-time option the 242 offers so I swapped out my 231 for the 242 and will probably be running a hack'n'tap on it.

thats about it for the 242. tom woods sells a kit that has the output shaft already cut and tapped for you. and being you have the later 242 is a little better. the early 242 are just the hack and yap. even the tom woods ones are just a hack and tap for the early 242s. that said, a'lot of people have run the hack and tap with great success, so don't discount it too much.

I just ordered my HnT from Iron Rock Offroad. I'll let you know what it's like when I install in a week or two.

Seeing as I live where it snows in the winter there is no way I want to give up my 242 with full time 4WD!

not to crash anyones parade but why would you rather have your t case kick in and out of 4 wheel drive when it thinks you need it than have it locked in 4 wheel all the time i live where the winters are snow and ice and i feel more safe with it in 4 wheel high part time i just think that the t case going in and out is good but its not going to kick back in at the moment and can cause something serious

not to crash anyones parade but why would you rather have your t case kick in and out of 4 wheel drive when it thinks you need it than have it locked in 4 wheel all the time i live where the winters are snow and ice and i feel more safe with it in 4 wheel high part time i just think that the t case going in and out is good but its not going to kick back in at the moment and can cause something serious

Have you ever used a 242? I ran mine in fulltime through all kinds of conditions, from dry pavement to snow and ice. I never felt it kicking in and out of four wheel drive. The only time I ever felt anything was when turning on a hard dry surface at full steering lock.

The case does not "kick in and out of 4 wheel drive". It is in 4wd all the time.

I kinda like the option that it gives me. it still has the 4 wheel part time. wich i do mostly use. but in light snow conditions it can come in handy. By the way, THANKS for all your info. The lift kit will be here in a couple of days and I want to be prepared.

what size tires are you gonna run on that kit?

ive got the tom woods on my 242, love it so far. espcially for the winter driving here in CO. no complaints yet, im on 33's soon to be 35's

I run a 242 with a Chevy yoke as a hack "n" tap. I been running it for 4 + years with no issues. I also run a front drive shaft in the rear.

Take a look at this thread...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75385
Ive got the same setup on mine as well. Works well and i trust it much more than the RE hack and tap. Plus if you ever drop a driveline you can always use the exact same one for repairs...which is a front one.

I installed the Tom Woods (TW) kit in my 1999 242 case. In my opinion, the TW kit is the only way to go for the late model 242 case. The shaft is my shorter after TW modifies the outout shaft.

FYI, the Tom Woods machined shaft is a stock shaft that is machined but it is not fair to call it a hack and tap IMHO. The TW shaft is shorter than a do it yourself hack and tap. He machines the splines further up the shaft than the shaft originally came with. That gives you a shorter output shaft which gives you a better angle to the rear end. In addition, the output bearing is closer to the output yoke for better support.

mainshaftsty231oevsmod.jpg

See the attached PIC for comparison

I installed the Tom Woods (TW) kit in my 1999 242 case. In my opinion, the TW kit is the only way to go for the late model 242 case. The shaft is my shorter after TW modifies the outout shaft.

FYI, the Tom Woods machined shaft is a stock shaft that is machined but it is not fair to call it a hack and tap IMHO. The TW shaft is shorter than a do it yourself hack and tap. He machines the splines further up the shaft than the shaft originally came with. That gives you a shorter output shaft which gives you a better angle to the rear end. In addition, the output bearing is closer to the output yoke for better support.

mainshaftsty231oevsmod.jpg

See the attached PIC for comparison

this is the way to go if you have the late model 242. unfortunately i have the early model 242 and that shaft is not able to be resplined to make it shorter like the late models. so basically the only thing you can do is a hack and tap. even the tom woods ones are just a hack and tap, but they use a lathe to cut it instead of a grinder while still installed.

Whats up guy's. I am brand new to the jeep world and just bought a 99 xj sport. I ordered a rubicon express 5.5 long arm kit and need to know what to do with my transfer case. ive seen oodels of things for the NP231. I dont know what my options are. ive heard of hack and tap, but is that it?

Thanks, A/C guy

I'll trade you T-cases...I have a NP231 in my 98 XJ with a little less than 85k miles.

Back