• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What tires to get

I have just purchased a set of the TRXUS tires and they drive good on the road and are not very loud
offroad they grip very good,I think these are one of the best tires for on/off road in a MT tire
and they are low cost

DeadSquirrel said:
i get the idea that most people on this site have trxus mts and they seem pretty good. is there anything bad about them?

Only bad thing i could say about them is you probably wont see 40000 miles out of them...a guy i work with has 35's on his blazer and has almost 20000 on his and their maybe 1/4 tread left. Depends alot on how you drive, how often you rotate them and what pressures you run too...but honestly, if you get more than 30000 miles out of them, i think youll be lucky.

I'm on my 3rd set of TrXus MTs- first set was 31s the others were/are 33s.These are on my DD-trail rig and I averaged about 2yrs/30,000 mi on the first 2 sets.

PoSxJ said:
If you want your tires to last long don't get Procomps.

thats funny cuz ive had my 31" ProComp MTs for 2.5 years and 23,000 miles on them. all street driving too with the exception of a lil mudding here and there. they have about 3/8" - 1/2" tread left on them. Id say they are wearing very well.

although my next tire will be the TrXus MTs.

I've got about 6500 miles on my TrXus MT's now and they are not worn at all. They ROCK in the snow, great on the rocks and trails and quiet on road, and the price is great. I run a 255/85/16. When these are gone I will go to a 285/75/16. I think this will be the last tire I buy unless something strange happens to them.
Shawn

Pro-Comps and Coopers are Firestone/Bridgestone sub groups...they both wear well and work well....but nuthin' short of boggers is better than TSLs in the mud...period...I ran Coops for 2 years...then switched to TSLs...I can get easily thru spots the Coops would get stuck in. The TSL bias is cheap...but not quiet and is prone to flat spots when cold....but has strong sidewalls..the Pro-Comps and Coops are much more expensive (at least around here)...but are radial and work better on the road.

DeadSquirrel said:
has anyone heard anything about the dunlop mud rovers? I heard that they were good but never see them on very many vehicles.
i have them on my 89 xj but have only put about 175miles on them. i can tell you this they are a hellofa lot quiter than the bfg mt's. the only time i hear anything is when im almost stopped or just taking off from a stop.

okay with experience with both the trxxus and the BFG, done 2 sets on each tire. Both tires work excellent offroad. trxxus tires are very heavy, and take a lot of weight to balance them, making it harder to balance right, and can cause shimmy at freeway speeds etc. once balanced they work pretty well on the streets, the siping and soft compound makes them a pretty good tire to use in the rain. The BFG are also amazing tires. much lighter tire, and balance with VERY little weights. since the compound is a little harder, they will last longer. sidewalls are pretty strong, haven't had a problem with either tires on the sidewall. Trxxus is cheaper, but the BFG is a better made tire. traction offroad is very close and the light weight of the BFG's are a slight advantage. Both tires you have to watch air pressure and rotate tires frequently to maximize tire life. Neither tire makes too much road noise but i would say the trxxus are a little louder because of the larger lugs.

I would have to disagree with the above post. I have ran both tires and the trxus out performs the bfg's by far. The softer compound and siping really help on the wet stuff.

Trxus do great on road and are quieter than bfg's IMO

DeadSquirrel said:
has anyone heard anything about the dunlop mud rovers? I heard that they were good but never see them on very many vehicles.

Ive got them in 33x12.50 on my XJ...their a GREAT tire, excellent traction in the ice/snow, very agressive tread does great in the mud and on the rocks. My only complaint about them is that they are a little noisey at highway speeds...probably moreso than your average mud terrain due to the more agressive tread, but their still very tollerable. Cant beat the tire for the price really.
Suspension2.jpg

I think they look great too.

Wal mart has good mt for cheap. I have had mine for a year now and they are aggressive and have never failed yet. and there is always a walmart around to fix em or replace in case of emergency. these tires are supposedly made by bfg for walmart...

I thought I liked Maxis Radial Mudders but I have changed my mind. After about a year they have gotten much louder and rougher on the road. They still do well offroad, but my 32's only measure 29" on the XJ. BIG TIME BUMMER. I can't air down much because I don't even have good GC when they are fully inflated.

I had a set of tsl's before I switched to bfg's. They got me throuh everything, but I wouldn't recommend them for a dd. They wear really fast. I think you'll be happy with either the bfg mud terrians or the trxus, both are made by good companies. You could also go with the bfg a/ts if you spend most of your time one the road. Personally I wouldn't go cheap on tires, a good set of tires makes a lot of difference. My buddy had a cheap set of m/ts and he couldn't make it through anything, he's new bfg a/ts make it through more then his other ones ever did.

DeadSquirrel said:
where is the best place to buy tires? and is it better to go with the 15x8 or 15x10 for a 33x12.5 (6.25" lift)

Find somewhere online that has the tires you want for cheap, print out a quote and take it to discount tire...they will match and sometimes beat the price of ANY competitor.

I have run a lot of different tires, and MT/R's were my favorite, until I threw on a set of Trxus MT's. I had a set of 34's and just removed them about a six weeks ago for another set of 34's. The first set came off just under 50,000 miles, and I kept two of them for spares because they weren't quite to the wear bars yet. I also got a set of 31's for my wife's ZJ at the same time. I have been extremely impressed with these tires, and once the full widths go under the XJ, some 37's are going on as well. All my jeeps are daily driver's with a lot of highway time. I'm not the most faithful when it comes to rotating tires, but keeping your junk aligned has got to be the most important thing you can do. Being out of alignment will wear down any tire in a big hurry. You can see pictures of my junk in the customer rigs section of my site: www.rocklizardfabrications.com

As mentioned, they are heavy and difficult to balance, but putting them on aluminum instead of steel rims helps alot. The onroad qualities have really sold me on the Trxus. They are quiet (get louder as they wear down, of course), do awesome on the rocks, kick butt in the mud, but their handling in the wet, snow, and ice are their biggest plus. They have a lot of siping, more comparible to an AT than any other MT. These are the only tires I feel comfortable driving on the highway in wet conditions close to speed limits.

GirlScout1 said:
Then you might want to consider an AT. Getting 40k out of a MT (at least usable tread) is asking alot.
Not if you rotate them correctly. JIM.

where to buy

Sears will beat any price on any tire they sell. Just bring a printed estimate or ad. I just got a 30x9.50 BFG AT installed for $115 with mounting, lifetime balance, and warranty. Mail order prices must include shipping.

Back