• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What "modern" engine to use?

Lincoln said:
Maybe I'm still dreaming of yesteryear, but I would go with a Dodge 5.9 if you could talk me out of the 6. The year I decided to get an XJ ('93) I went wheeling with an XJ running 35's and a 360 dodge. I was drooling and haven't stopped.....Does anyone know if Ray Pili is still around. I think his was a 318.....I like the older v-8's better. The Ford 5.8 and Dodge 5.9 feel like they have a much better low end torque which I think is more fun driving on the street.

This may just be a figment of my imagination, but the Chrysler "LA" family of engines (318-360-400) are pretty "hot blooded" just like that 4.0 XJ. I have one of them in a powerwagon, it doesn't overheat at all w/ that big 3 core but throws off an insane amount of heat, like youre driving next to a furnace. Other owners I have talked to concur that these "are a good motor but seem to run hot," not good for the XJ (or mj) but can be done and the ZJs did use them. I don't know if hes planning on modifying the trucks radiator setup. I agree though, lotta low end torque, esp. w/ low gears.

This is just me regurgitating what I've heard but the owners of 5.0 xjs here seem to sing their praises- and claim no overheating problems w/ that motor.

ZachMan said:
2JZ-GTE out of a 93-98 MKIV Supra......

These engines stock can handle 900rwhp and with just the stock TT setup you can make 450rwhp with a few mods. Theu are a bullitproof as they come. Best part is its an inline 6 and only 3.0L, so you have room unlike alot of other engines.

Also a plus, Guess what auto tranny Supras use? Thats right AW4 auto tranny. You can go to a place called BoostLogic and they can rebuild a stock AW4 to handle up to 700rwhp and they will change the shift points too.

So you could actually have an engine every bit as reliable as the 4.0L, still be an inline 6, be even smaller than the 4.0, is light weight, Can handle up to 900rwhp with stock internals, can make 450 rwhp off the stock twin turbos AND bolts to the AW4. What more could you ask for?

Downside...its pricey.

I am doing this one day though.

1993 MKIV 2JZ-GTE thats BPU (Basic performance mods)

DSC00339.jpg

Stay TT because the first turbo spools fast and early in the RPMs and the second kicks in at around 3500 rpms. While if you go single turbo it can make well over 1000rwhp, but the bigger turbo you go the higher the rpms for it to kick in. Just get a boost controller and a few other things and you'll be seeing 400+rwhp easy. You can buy used spare factory turbos with low miles for as cheap as $300 a set.

They also make a 2JZ-GE, which is the non-turbo (220 hp) version in all kinds of Lexus (IS300, GS300, and others) car and a few Toyotas.

Too bad the Mk4 motors are like GOLD, and next to a New Hemi in price.

A old 7MGTE motor could be had pretty cheap......Mk3 supra motor.

I still think if he's got a bare engine bay, a GM350 is the best bet. Cheap, easy to make power, and rock solid.

I like the 4.2 new Chevy I 6 with 275 hp and 275 ft lb. I've been considering this for a while to replace a noisy tired old renix in my MJ. It gets good milage and has good power for a light XJ/MJ. Finding one to swap in could be tough though.

slowrider said:
I like the 4.2 new Chevy I 6 with 275 hp and 275 ft lb. I've been considering this for a while to replace a noisy tired old renix in my MJ. It gets good milage and has good power for a light XJ/MJ. Finding one to swap in could be tough though.

LOL those are peppy motors, A co worker got one of the first TrailBlazers, a SWB 2wd... I drove it a few times,(supervised & un) and it was fun. She only got 15-16mpg though. My boss' mom traded in her 95 Impala SS on a '04 swb 2wd. She gets 15-16 mpg too. If one could buy a rolled one to score motor, tranny & all the tidbits?

I like the idea of the shortstars and their modern variants since those are bound to be wrecked out & available too...

That Supra I-6 TT Mmm yes... that was my 2d favorite car in the old-school Need for Speed game. Better have some stout driveline to back up the twist.

Last edited:
Jeff,

How about a GM LS-1 set-up to run on propane? No wiring, GM or Edelbrock make a carburetor manifold, and i believe MSD sells an ignition controller to throw sparks without the computer. Little wiring and you can still run upside down.

I'd go stroker 4.0l or new Hemi (it's lighter than a small block CHevy, and probably lighter than a 4.0l too. I'd avoid one of the traditional SBC's and early 700r4's, unless you get good rebuilt ones. Dad's had an '86 700r4 self destruct shortly after 160K (and our van's '87 was in the process of coming apart when it wiring caught fire), and has seen SBC's start to die after 125k (same van was barely running when the fire happened.) If no the 4.0l or Hemi, I'd try a 318 or if you can get your hands on it, 340 Chrysler.

Pete M said:
What's your budget? Wiring skills? Fab skills? It's hard to look beyond the late model Chevy engines because of the aftermarket support.
advanceadapters.com
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

Budget is pretty much non existant, but what the hell, it's only money. :) Keep the choices reasonable and keep in mind that I want reliability, ease of working on, good part availability, ease of fitting, light weight etc. Wireing skills are top notch as are fab skills although I don't want to toot my own horn because I'm certainly not an expert. I am very detail oriented though and when I build something, I like to get it working and looking nice. I don't think I want to mess with aftermarket goodies too much. I would rather install a complete system that works well in whatever it came in and adapt it to the MJ. I really don't know engines very well at all, but so far, the Ford Triton suggestion seems pretty interesting to me (although I'm not sure of that engines features nor how long it's been out there.) I'm not even familiar with the Shortstar etc. engines that some folks have thrown out. Feel free to edumacate this dummy! Jeff

Turbo Diesel , Cummings 3.9 L (4cyl) Close To 400lbs Tq And Over 200hp

Yes, slow throttle response is SUCH a benefit when going over backwards and stab of throttle in reverse is needed.

Plus, think of how much fun it would be to SHOUT 10 feet over to your spotter for direction.

I thoroughly investigated putting one in an XJ. 1. they don't fit well at all, 2. an XJ cooling system would NEVER keep up with 4.09 liters of TDI power. Have you actually ever measured or worked with a Cummins motor?

I love diesels..................................................................in my tow rig.

CRASH

I can understand the desire to get creative, but someone tell me how a Chevy 5.7 fails to meet the criterea? The Ford 5.0L would be my next choice. I almost got my hands on a low mileage 5.0 out of a 95 Mustang Cobra. Man that would have been sweet! :D
Jeep on!
--Pete

I'm kinda jazzed about the idea of a AMC 360 attached to a AW4.

Sure, it's been done, it's not a "modern" engine, and it'll take some work to add at least TBI FI but I like the idea just for the retro "jeepness" of it.

Root Moose said:
I'm kinda jazzed about the idea of a AMC 360 attached to a AW4.

Sure, it's been done, it's not a "modern" engine, and it'll take some work to add at least TBI FI but I like the idea just for the retro "jeepness" of it.

John Jacobs just fit a 401 in an XJ. Cool project, even though the powerplant is somewhat archaic!

See Speed and Performance Forum.

Back