• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best year XJ.....best bang for the buck.

OBD2 doesn't like to be upgraded too far, it will give you codes. OBD1 will not throw codes just for adding a high flow cat like the OBD2 will, just one example.

There is not a lot of performance upgrades for the RENIX since it only lasted for 3 years.

???

Care to elaborate on this? Not too loud, I don't want my 96 with numerous mods to hear you. :chef:

There is not a lot of performance upgrades for the RENIX since it only lasted for 3 years.

You're so full of <POOPIE> your eyes are brown.

My renix runs a JET ECM, Mopar Performance distributor advanced 2*, MSD ignition, 60mm throttle body (8mm over stock) with a borla 2.5" header with 2.5" mandrel bent downpipe, and 2.5" to the tailpipe including hi-flow cat and flowmaster.

What does HO get for performance upgrades that renix doesnt?

And you are of course aware that renix lasted 4, not 3, years on the XJ, as well a full run on Eagle and Renault cars.

Renix is a great engine. With every generation there are always more options opening up due to technology enhancements. The setback for 99+ 4.0s was because of Emission Standards and the redesign of the head making it not as strong as earlier heads. However, because of those standards, we have a great intake manifold to swap into earlier 4.0s

I have no super chip and I have not altered my computer module. However, with the "old style" modifications. I have done (listed below) I am sure, very sure, except for redoing the valves and seats, I have better performance than that of a chip or software upgrade.

My eyes a blue:looney:

My renix runs a JET ECM, Mopar Performance distributor advanced 2*, MSD ignition, 60mm throttle body (8mm over stock) with a borla 2.5" header with 2.5" mandrel bent downpipe, and 2.5" to the tailpipe including hi-flow cat and flowmaster.

I've done some of that to mine, header, downtube, high flow cat and Flowie. I knew the bored TB was out there but I haven't picked one up. I WANT that dizzy, is it still available? Some of this stuff is getting hard to source.

And you are of course aware that renix lasted 4, not 3, years on the XJ, as well a full run on Eagle and Renault cars.

My bad! Math was wrong but yes I was aware that RENIX was on AMC-Eagle-Renault, I was a Tech for them during that period.

As far as "performance upgrading" the OBD2, Yes it can be done its just more finicky and will throw codes, RENIX and OBD1 will not. There are ways to get around any issue but I just hate dealing with issues.

when i was looking for my xj i wanted a post 91 so i could have the high output in 94 they changed it to a one key system which i prefer for convenience i ended up finding a 96 xj that was the first year for the obd 2 which i really liked for plug in engine check the guy said he was looking for a daily driver and trail rig i would recommend a pre 97 i love my 96 and have been very happy with it

I have a 96 and have been happy with it, though some of the systems are a sort of a bastard child... for instance have fun with the fuel pump if you ever have to replace it. gauge sender is completely different from the 95-down AND the 97-up.

Also, thanks for searching and replying to an existing thread instead of creating yet another "what year is the best" thread! If anyone yells at you for thread necromancy ignore it :thumbsup:

There are some good deals out there for sure.

I picked up a 1999 Sport 2 door, 150,000, 4.0, auto. The early 99 had the good head, you can tell the difference because they have a distributor, late 99 had the trouble prone head and distributorless ignition. Atleast that's how I understand it.

$800 bucks on CL, needed both front axle hub bearings so for less than $1000 plus it cleaned up pretty nice.

Also had an 88 Renix 4.0 BA/10, ran great and had over 250,000 on it before was rolled and totaled. The 5spd got exceptional MPG. Never gave me any trouble but was also left stock, nevers towed a trailer and was mainly a DD.

Always carry, have the tools and know how to change out the Crank postion sensor though!!

What does HO get for performance upgrades that renix doesnt?

Did you have to change over several sensors to run the JET ECM or is it a direct fit? This is an entire ECU replacment right? and not a piggy back chip?

any year xj that you feel comfortable workin on alongside the road/on the trail! lol
no, i'm not jokin. almost everyone of us has been there.

as for "creature comforts" my 89 xj is a "limited" with the leather electric seats (only driver seat works now), but they are very worn out (will Grand seats be a direct bolt in?)
she has the D-30 front end, D35 in the back with a (jy) 242j t-case, aw-4 (auto)tranny and of course the 4.0 i6 (not HO).

keep your eyes open & pockets (wallet) closed until ya find one that is still in decent shape (street leagl) and doesn't need a ton of work just to get it on the road.

at this time she has over 264k on the odometer & "mostly" all original parts.
had to replace the worn out swaybars when i got her, fixed the locked drivers door, replace the r.f. axle u-joint, (almost) the whole exhaust (from the cross-member back), and finaly the t-case. next will/needs to be new shoes for her.

Back