• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best year XJ.....best bang for the buck.

Please post pictures of the GF so we can better evaluate how to keep her butt warm.

Thanks.

:spin1: I was thinking that too, especially for the butt warmer option. Come on, you guys had to see this coming.

I have a 2000, it is nice but the head f'ed me already. I would suggest 94 -99. 94 started to get bigger u-joints in front axle, 99 was last year for LP dana30. Also, the later models have a 29 spline Chry co 8.25 rear axle (I think 96 and later). ABS models have the weaker dana 35 rear axle.

FYI: I got a 12v electric blanket for my wife to use in the winter months because I like the temp a little cooler. Ebay has them reasonably priced.

I was gonna say, you can get heated seat pads for like 30 bucks or less on ebay.

I went with 97-99 when I started looking and ended up with a 99. I like it because the interior is the most modern they had and it doesn't look outdated ten years later.

So far, I'm liking it. Mine replaced my barebones Isuzu pickup. It's not luxurious like the Grand Cherokee, but it's servicible. I like simple, utilitarian vehicles, so this is about as luxurious as I need. When they're in good shape (good suspension and all that) I think they ride just fine.

If you like to work on your own vehicles, these things are great.

And tried and true, a week after you buy yours, one will show up fully loaded, 1000 dollars cheaper, and 50k miles less because some old lady died.

I don't understand why 00-01s are so bad? What does a low-pinion front-end do? I have an 01 XJ and I think it's pretty slick except for the doggone squealing I can't get rid of.

Yeah seriously...

My '01 is nearing 227k and has yet to have any major problems that I didn't personally cause. Did I put all 227k on it? No...but I have all the service records from day 1. The only things ever replaced were wear/tear items.

'96 to '98 before they changed the Head in '99. I am very partial to '96s. Structurally better than previous years. Has OBD II. Doesn't have the weak Head of '99+. Fuel Pump $200s cheaper and is easier to service than '97+ XJs. Easy to Modify everything. High Pinion D30. Nothing beats a '96.

Drawback: Most came with the 27 Spline C8.25 Rear. Later '96s came with the 29 Spine Axles when they were out of 27s.

Okay.... I admit it! I just Love my '96 XJ and you should too. LOL

jeeptip012-1.jpg

pictures204.jpg

jeeptip033.jpg

this one is for sale for 4000. It was tiped but you cant tell anymore... The last image is the area where the damage was. Its a 87 with 170XXX on it. The clutch just went out also

If by the Vin you happen to be 186,463 or later in a '96 XJ... chances are you have the best XJ ever manufactured! IMHO. Maybe not so humble. LOL

How do people put such high miles on somewhat new vehicles? I drive like 8k miles a year... if that =/

Some people live in an area that is not Urbanized like Montana. In many states you can drive for miles and miles before reaching a destination. High mileage vehicles that travel on highway rather than city streets last longer when it comes to mileage on said vehicle.

How do people put such high miles on somewhat new vehicles? I drive like 8k miles a year... if that =/

Mine spent quite a few years of it's life as a corporate lease. The bad is tons of miles were put on it (currently at like 250K), but there was also a corporate maintenance contract. There are very very few non mopar wear item parts on my Jeep.

Ya, I guess some people do live further out and have to travel... but it's still a crapload of miles. Especially when I see like 04's with 200+ for sale on Craigslist still asking $10K+ for their ride...

I've got a 96 now... but it doesn't have the 8.25 in the rear... it's got a Dana 44 =)

AJ, what's been done to the 87' to make it worth $4,000 out of curiousity.

RE 3.5 in lift, rock crawler 15in rims, Locker in the rear with all new bearings and seals, 30 up front with all new bearings and seals, Custom front bumper with XRC-8 winch, Off road lights, custom paint, bfg M/t tires, brand new alternator, Exhaust, custom stereo, Spare axles, spare steering assy, another 30 axle housing with out the vac, disco that has been cleaned throughly and painted and has all new seals and bearings, Then i also have a spare block that needs to be rebuilt that will go with it and then an automatic that will go with the deal also, and another hatch.

Back