• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is platiguage?

xjbubba said:
My advise, is don't buy a used engine without doing a compression check on it. I would not install a used engine unless my engine was not rebuild-able;IE, busted crank, busted block--something bad that would cast doubt on the basic foundation of the engine. The used engine you install may have worse problems than the one you're removing.

ok thanx, i will definately stick with what i have, and see how far i can go with it.

ok, i have another option

i was told by the shop manager he could get me a remanufactured short block from jasper. for $600

he said its best to spend a few more moola's and get a good engine

what do you think about getting the short block then puting everything i have back onto tthe new short block, i may even get a new cylinder head (reman) for $200 to go with it

so if i was to get a shortblock what would be the wisest things to do with the rest of the engine???

To tell you the truth, I couldn't say if that's a reasonable price. Seems low. Go on line and see what a rebuild "kit" costs: new pistons, rings, bearings, crank & gaskets, new cam and lifters. On top of that would be complete gasket set and machine work on block--"boiled", cylinders bored/honed, rods checked, mains line bored. If your head is not cracked (have magnafluxed), then new valve springs/seal and a valve job should cost less than a rebuilt head--you already have the head. There is a lot of "logistics" to getting a good rebuilt engine at the least cost. A lot of areas to get "screwed" if you don't under stand what's neccesary. Sometimes, a crate engine from Chrysler (talking about a 4.0) is the best deal.

xjbubba said:
To tell you the truth, I couldn't say if that's a reasonable price. Seems low. Go on line and see what a rebuild "kit" costs: new pistons, rings, bearings, crank & gaskets, new cam and lifters. On top of that would be complete gasket set and machine work on block--"boiled", cylinders bored/honed, rods checked, mains line bored. If your head is not cracked (have magnafluxed), then new valve springs/seal and a valve job should cost less than a rebuilt head--you already have the head. There is a lot of "logistics" to getting a good rebuilt engine at the least cost. A lot of areas to get "screwed" if you don't under stand what's neccesary. Sometimes, a crate engine from Chrysler (talking about a 4.0) is the best deal.

so you're saying that i should go with a complete crate engine from chrysler???
the engine(or head) i would get would probably be from "rebuilt-jeep-engines.com"

they have a long block for about $1100, that is also where i priced the cylinder head from. Do you know anything about this company? Do you think it's worth the $1100 for a reman long block?

If i were to go the crate engine route, where should i look? Has anyone put a crate engine in their rig? How much am i looking at?

The choice between rebuilding your engine yourself, having a local mechanic do it for you, or purchasing a long block from a reputable dealer would be based on any number of considerations. I can't accurately assess what's best for you. I'm a "do-it-yourself" kind of guy, so for me the question would be do I have the time and a place to do the work? Can I go without my Jeep for approximately six weeks? Are there any automotive machine shops close to where I'd be doing the work, Etc.?; a good rebuild requires specialized machining. The quick way, and the most expensive way, is to take your Jeep to shop who you can trust to do the job right, whether that be to rebuild the engine or just swap it out for another engine already rebuilt. I mentioned Chrysler as a source for the crate engine. From them, you'd get new everything. You by a rebuild, who knows? If considering a rebuild from "rebuilt jeep-engines.com", or any other source, you need to search for reputation, guarantee, Etc., to get a handle on whether you can trust them. I'm sure there are sources for new Jeep engines that would be cheaper than a local dealer; you need to search. Knowing my skill-level, experience, shop & tool availability, and TIME, I'd rebuild the engine you have, if the block is good, and the head is not cracked. I say replacement 4.0's (re manufactured) advertised in "Essentials For Jeep Vehicles"--I believe the company is Quadratec--with a price range between $1600 and $1800. The engine supplier was listed as ATK, and they offered a 3-year, 60,000 mile warranty.
If your block and head is basically sound, you can rebuild yours for a whole lot less, if you have the time & skill.

xjbubba said:
The choice between rebuilding your engine yourself, having a local mechanic do it for you, or purchasing a long block from a reputable dealer would be based on any number of considerations. I can't accurately assess what's best for you. I'm a "do-it-yourself" kind of guy, so for me the question would be do I have the time and a place to do the work? Can I go without my Jeep for approximately six weeks? Are there any automotive machine shops close to where I'd be doing the work, Etc.?; a good rebuild requires specialized machining. The quick way, and the most expensive way, is to take your Jeep to shop who you can trust to do the job right, whether that be to rebuild the engine or just swap it out for another engine already rebuilt. I mentioned Chrysler as a source for the crate engine. From them, you'd get new everything. You by a rebuild, who knows? If considering a rebuild from "rebuilt jeep-engines.com", or any other source, you need to search for reputation, guarantee, Etc., to get a handle on whether you can trust them. I'm sure there are sources for new Jeep engines that would be cheaper than a local dealer; you need to search. Knowing my skill-level, experience, shop & tool availability, and TIME, I'd rebuild the engine you have, if the block is good, and the head is not cracked. I say replacement 4.0's (re manufactured) advertised in "Essentials For Jeep Vehicles"--I believe the company is Quadratec--with a price range between $1600 and $1800. The engine supplier was listed as ATK, and they offered a 3-year, 60,000 mile warranty.
If your block and head is basically sound, you can rebuild yours for a whole lot less, if you have the time & skill.

ok sounds good, i guess i can just pull my engine and rebuild it because i'll be doing this with a very good mechanic and i have a backup car to drive, so all should be good.

Yeah i really like my jeep and would like to keep it longer, but i want to put the right things into it so it can be my DD.

Rebuilding sounds like the ticket for me as longas, like you said, my block and head are ok.

Back