• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is cat back exauhst system

It's a muffler and pipe exhaust setup, that installs aft of the catalytic convertor.

420.....hehe.....

Seriously, the name says it all....CAT(catalytic converter) BACK the rest of the exhaust after the CAT. This includes the muffler and the pipe running back over the rear end housing and out the back of the jeep(tailpipe). Good luck.

Don't know why.
The exhaust is more or less connected to the unibody, NOT the suspension.
With a lift, you're actually making more room for exhaust pipe.

SteelblueSteve said:
I hope you weren't told you need the cat back system because you're lifting your Cherokee, that would just be B.S.

x2. I'd hate to see anyone get ripped off like that. You do not need a cat back exhaust if you are lifting.

thats perposterous (sp?) i might shoot an email and ask why?? like OT said there will be more room plus after lifting a few cherokees nothing will interfere with any of the pipes anyways... it is a good idea to get a new kit so you can tuck the pipes for more clearance, etc... its like using a condom on birth control...no need

I checked out Rough Country's site and looked at the 4.5 and 6.5 lift kits and didn't see anything about a cat back system. If it is there it's just wrong. Check out any other of the many companies that make lifts for XJ's and none of them will say you'll need a cat back system. If you're going to lift that high to get bigger tires on you'll want to do a lot of things to get more power to your wheels, like regear or get better breathing for your engine which may include a cat back system but to say "it's needed" is not true.

gnarwall said:
I think using ship terms should be the new trends when talking about Jeeps. We'll name it after 420 boy.
When i tranferred into this hobby from racing sailboats I brought the termnology with me. After the first " No No !! My Right!!!!" I declared that was the end of that.

When you have several boats that weigh as much as a house a few inches apart all fighting to be in the best spot to round the bouy, you gain a great appreciation for clarity of the terms. port is port no matter where you stand or face. same goes for starboard, fore, and aft. this clarity is just as appreciated when docking the same vessels in a crossbreeze.

When shouting over the wind(or the roar of an unmuffled small block chevy) port and starboard are easily differentiable. So now the buddies I wheel with and spotters that ride along with us use the nautical terms. the people who complain the first time quickly come round to undertanding the reason for the rule.

And by the way, the cat is on the starboard side of an XJ. Right?

xjbubba said:
And by the way, the cat is on the starboard side of an XJ. Right?
;-)

all three of mine are/were. i have two 89 4.0 aw4 242 and an 87 2.5ish ax4 231

it's been a while since the 87 had a cat.

the only reason you would need to change the exhaust would be if you are doing a coilover conversion

Back