• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what have you raced?

raced my son on his bmx bike down the street.......won the first one but sandbagged the 2nd and 3rd race.....cause he's only 6.

BTW, my stock Accord VTEC V-6 will easily smoke my XJ.........

seanR said:

How the hell did I get drug into this, I'm not a ricer or anything. I asked a question on how to quiet down my exhaust since my flowmaster was loud they way it was exiting. I got a different tip put on it and its much quieter now.

This link:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36603

tchase said:
OK, first off if you beat that neon either; a) the neon was not modified at all and was a sohc auto, or b) you've done some serious performance mods to your jeep. I own a 1991 XJ with 4.0 HO and 4.10's and a stock 1997 dohc 5spd neon. I have always been impressed with the power of the XJ and it will give a 5.0 mustang a damn good run, but the neon will blow the doors off it everytime.

Tony
I agree, I gave the 5.0 a good run till i hit 3rd- but neons are pretty fast,- besides neon is not in the import catagory to me-
neon-> dodge -> chrysler <- Jeep <- XJ

Steele said:
WTF??? who the hell races a Jeep of any sort, are they made for speed?, guess that's news to me, I figure the slower the better, but I suppose we'll see a thread soon asking how to put fart cans on an xj and what type of suspension drop did u do.... lol
I think its prettydamn hillarious when a jeep with 3" of lift and 31's can do circles around a honda- why? b/c we can and it just makes those ricers look more like crap-

Osprey413 said:
I think I've beaten almost every car and truck in Tyler. Except for the various porsche's, the skyline, the supped up Evo, and the two Supra TT's. Everything else doesn't have a change. The cops even recognize my Jeep because no matter how hard they try, the most they can pull me over for is driving with my PIAA lights on. (I like to pass cops on the road just to **** them off).
Wasn't that you about a month ago, asking about buying a new Jeep or swapping your stuff over because the cops knew your vehicle too well? I still maintain that it sounds like the driver, and not the Jeep...

When I had my '84 XJ equipped with a weber carb I raced an 80's Dodge Omni that made funny noises and smelled bad. I won.

Now, whenever one of those little ricer things wants to race my current XJ I just threaten to drive up on their trunk. Typicaly, they'll leave me alone after that.

Yucca-Man said:
Wasn't that you about a month ago, asking about buying a new Jeep or swapping your stuff over because the cops knew your vehicle too well? I still maintain that it sounds like the driver, and not the Jeep...

it was not him yucca, but I think they were born about the same time...1986.

Kinda says it all doesn't it? :shocked:

red91inWA said:
it was not him yucca, but I think they were born about the same time...1986.

Kinda says it all doesn't it? :shocked:

Kids these days, I tell ya'... :eyes:

Mine generally beats up on little Hondas and other such 4 bangers. I don't about the gut who says Neons are faster than his Jeep, but a guy in a brand new SXT tried to beat me at three lights and lost all 3 times. I'll challenge a Ferrari anyday, just to hear the sound of his engine. Them things sound sweet. Mind you, I don't go out looking for races or get stupid with it, just when I know someone is gonna try and beat me at the light so they can cut me off or if they think they're too cool.

BlackSport96 said:
I'll challenge a Ferrari anyday, just to hear the sound of his engine. Them things sound sweet.
Thats funny, I do the same thing. I did it the other day to a C6 just so I could hear the engine and watch him take off. He didn't fall for it though.

(1993 2wd XJ AW4)

The imports with the coffee can and not-so-hot drivers. Did get a 'stang once but only cause he gave me a head start and gave me too much. *grin* Oh and it was a 6 banger. St Louis seems to like those ugly things ('stangs) and most don't seem to be stock. In other words, they gonna eat yer butt alive. I could run either of the two big block Ford trucks sitting outside tho. Of course they dudes who own them insist on doing their own wrenching and they aint no mechs. Takes 'em block and half to get over 40mph but hey, they sound good.

A correctly driven manual Neon is a fast little sucker actually. The two things make a difference tho. If the driver doesn't know his car, it's either an easy thump or a push. In my experience. Aint 'fraid of much on da bike tho. Now the work van....everyone whomps my butt including that little old lady in her powered cart.

Had a deer pass the XJ the other night, that count? Cruizin' at 30 and that thing went past me at a decent clip still. Didn't know they could run that fast.

Sarge

the kids neon was an automatic that he tried to drive like a manual. i dont know how much he has in it but everyone says its fast and he put alot of money in to it. he wasnt even close. alot of ricers go to my school so i do race from light to light with em. few jeeps but there all piles except for one grand cherokee on 20's hood scoops alot of chrome stuff very ugly. but yea racing is just fun just to see the look on there faces.

Osprey413 said:
The cops even recognize my Jeep because no matter how hard they try, the most they can pull me over for is driving with my PIAA lights on. (I like to pass cops on the road just to **** them off).

i just hope you dont have any NAXJA stickers or anything associating yourself with our organization on your rig.... :twak: :wstupid:

Let's see...

I took EVOC three times while I was in the Air Farce - in an 88 Caprice Classic, a 91 Crown Vic, and in an 89 XJ in police trim. Fun course.

I've taken two high-speed driving courses, again courtesy of USAF.

I have also had the opportunity to enjoy driving the Autobahn on various occasions from 1990 to 1995 (not a road I'd really take an XJ on - it's too well maintained and you just WANT to drive something fast!)

As far as Neons go, one of my boys has two of them (1996SOHC/AT and 1995 SOHC/5-sp) and they can do quite well. The 95 has a K&N cold air intake kit, and he was going to build the thing up some until he moved to Hawai'i. I still have the Neon Performance Mods book, and there's some promising stuff going on in there - for a Japanese car, there's a lot of potential without having to look or sound like a damn fool.

I don't understand how those "Whale tail" spoilers are supposed to be useful - they look like beach towel racks to me. There's no accounting for tastes.

Generally, when I win in my XJ it's not because it's a better vehicle (it usually isn't, for what I'm doing then) but because I'm dealing with some boy racer who just doesn't know the capabilities of his ride. I know his AND mine very well, and that is why I win. Once I start out moving over him, surprised does the rest.

Do I make a habit of racing? No. Partly because there's no thrill to it for me - any monkey can mash down a gas pedal and go straight forward. My idea of racing would be like the old Cannonball Run - cross-country, get there any way you can and the fastest way possible. The winning team shall be the first team that wins.

What have I raced? I don't keep track. Will I brag on it? This is as close as I've gotten. Again, I know what my vehicle is designed to do and designed NOT to do. Both very important...

5-90

I can honestly say i beat a corvette off the line and then by the next light it must have been doing 80 mph while i was doing 30mph. I have raced and beat hondas, neons, couple of my eclpise off the line. But my buddies with the trucks are still shocked by how well it does off road.

About once a week or so, some youngster will pull up next to me at a stoplight. Take a look and say to himself, everybody in town has beat me, I´ll try this big red thing next to me.
Almost instant replay every time, he´ll take off in a cloud of smoke (front tires spinning) and look to see if I´m going, decide I´m not, then back off a bit, because I´m starting out fairly slowly, as soon as I get it into motion and close to peak torque, I give it the pedal. Hi Ho and away we go in a cloud of soot (I idle mine way too much), my old XJ takes off like a rocket in the right RPM band. With the wifes HO, I don´t even bother, I just enjoy seeing them, in my cloud of soot. :patriot:

bocaj said:
the old ford i was refering to was a 69 f250 with a 390 an edel brock carb and k&n air filter.

Well that's a fairly stout old Ford you blew off. I've got a 65 Plymouth that has an old world V8 like that Ford.

What year and model XJ do ya have ? ... what color is the exterior & interior ?

Back