• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else could it be..?

xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
1987 XJ Wagoneer.. Replaced the hub twice. Replaced almost all of the TRE's and I have new ball joints on the way.

What else could be causing the play in my passenger wheel..?

u-joints?

Are you familiar with the front Diff on this baby..? I think it's a Dana 30. The transfer case is an NP 242. I believe that means it's a non-vacuum disconnect.

Do I have to worry about pulling the axles out? In order to change the U-Joints..?

Bent wheel?

Unbalanced tire?

Ball Joints(my first thought)?

Warped brake rotor?

Alignment?

Anyone else?

Matt

EDIT: the axles will just slip right out - nothing retaining them in the diff ;)

Bent wheel?

I have switched the wheels (rotated the tires) with no difference

Unbalanced tire?

Would I still feel the wobble at "9 and 3" with the front wheels raised?

Ball Joints(my first thought)?

On the way..

Warped brake rotor?

9 and 3..?

Alignment?

I'll do that after the new track bar is installed.

How far down did you tighten the big nut in the middle of the hub? (The axle nut) That has to be TIGHT (about 175 ft-lbs). I only mention this because I did it too loose once when I thought it was like a conventional hub a long time ago...

Shy of that...I vote for Ball joints.

im not sure about xj boxes but on some steering boxes there is a set screw with a lock bot that put force on the gears to set the free play if your box is worn a bit you may be able to adj. that bolt but i would check you fsm of other book first

GSequoia said:
How far down did you tighten the big nut in the middle of the hub? (The axle nut) That has to be TIGHT (about 175 ft-lbs). I only mention this because I did it too loose once when I thought it was like a conventional hub a long time ago...

Shy of that...I vote for Ball joints.

Is it possible to tighten that axle nut too much..?!?

GSequoia said:
Well, 175 ft-lbs is VERY tight....I don't see you tightening it too much more (unless you're one of these shaved gorilla types!).

So, you're saying it is possible to over torque that axle bolt..? If the above conditions are realized..?

I am going to do the Ball Joints and steering box adjustment this weekend. Along with a new (Rusty's w/ bracket) track bar.

Rest assured, this post will be BTT soon enough..!

I don't know enough about it to speak with authority, but in theory I think one could mess up the hub by putting a LOT of torque on that bolt (much more than 175), I just don't see that happening unless you have one hell've an impact wrench and use that to tighten the bolt with.

have you had someone else move the wheel while you were looking under the jeep??

if your movement is at 3 and 9 chances are that it's in your steering drag link, but the driver sides doesn't move? :dunno: look as someone moves the wheel or take a large prybar and try to move your joints

if it were your ball joint, it would move at 12 and 6.

Edit: your u-joints wouldn't make your wheel/hub move if they were bad, just the axle shaft.

Back