• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what broke when you did your lift?

If I had to touch it, it broke.

Many, many, of my bolts and nuts are the same size now. As I replaced I upgraded the bolts to a singular size to make trail repars easier. Yes, it makes for some fun drilling to enlarge some stuff to fit a bigger bolt.

I broke lower sway bar bolts, PITA, Those bolts are pressed in there, drilled those suckers out.

I only broke one rear leaf spring bolt, but I didn't do control arms. I also caught my jeep on fire using a torch and PB blaster at the same time, but it ended up getting the bolt out.

Wifes 89 sold new in and spent all it's life in southern AZ. Everything comes apart like it just came off the assembly line. My 94 is an AZ jeep to, but the PO used it to haul jet skis to the lake. Looks rust free but every time I put a wrench to the bottom side. SNAP!! I should be a co-owner in PB Blaster for all I've spent on it.
The only thing I didn't break doing my lift was rear spring bolts. After reading all the horror stories I left the main leaf bolted in and built my packs hanging under the jeep.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't break doing my lift was rear spring bolts. After reading all the horror stories I left the main leaf bolted in and built my packs hanging under the jeep.

I did the same thing. For the life of me I don't know why more people don't just leave the mains on, especially when building bastard packs.

To get on topic, I broke my junkyard leaf packs. Didn't take much, I didn't notice the hairline cracks in the leaves when i bought the packs and when I took them apart they just fell apart. Ended up buying and using Quadratec HD packs. I've been real cautious at the salvage yard ever since.

To get on topic, I broke my junkyard leaf packs. Didn't take much, I didn't notice the hairline cracks in the leaves when i bought the packs and when I took them apart they just fell apart. Ended up buying and using Quadratec HD packs. I've been real cautious at the salvage yard ever since.

YIKES!!! I might have to tear mine down on the spot next time

Old thread, eh?

Only bolts I broke were 2 of the 4 upper shock bolts. Jeep already had a 3" lift on it when I bought it, so I figured I'd be good in that sense. Wrong.

I also cracked a socket right in half when I first tried to take off the front leaf spring bolts. Breaker bar with a cheater bar on it and bam. Guess I needed more PB blaster.

Well, two weeks of prep with PB blast and 7-8 hours of instal and the only thing we broke was a 1965 dodge truck and a sweat. We torched out the rear leaf pack and snagged a set of helper spring so we could get a good heigth out of the add a leaf. We did a 3 inch rough country lift on my 96 XJ and wow that was work. After I watched a video on youtube.com of them doing this kit install and 6 minutes later they were done I sure had a huge ego. This came to a crashing hault after removing the front springs and not having a spring compressor. But two atv ratchet starps and a huge prybar bam done. Four of the hours down and ready to start the rear. I was really careful after all the reading on the leaf spring bolt issues. All said and done was very cool to look at what we did. This project was completed in a shop with no A/C power none the less. Got to love 2-3 foot breaker bars. Now on the hunt for tires.

Back