• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Do you have to stand on the brake peddle like you lost the power assist?

My master cylinder was doing the same thing. Got one for a 99 Durango and now it stops better than the wifes WJ, granted the brakes are huge on the 9 inches. Also invest in a good pressure bleeder like this.
mvp-0108_w.jpg

You will be glad you did. Bleed the whole system in less than 10 minutes plus you can find any leaks.

Yes I have to like almost stand on the pedal to stop unless I pump it. I really wish I could get one of those pressure bleeders. Gonna get new master and booster see if that fixes the problem.

It may be the diaphragm is shot and now there is no power assist, or a vacuum leak like Mike mentioned.

I don't hear any vacuum leaks. When I pump it it actually builds some pressure too. Picking up master this weekend and gonna see if I can't salvage any front hard lines

I pulled David's T-Case apart and looked everything over, then I called Tera-Flex and had a lengthy discussion with their tech guy. Determination is that its just the planetary making some extra noise because its getting sloppy from age. Its a 5 gear planetary, I got in 2007/2008 but its probably seen a lot of miles. I know I was daily driving and almost weekly wheeling both Jeeps I had it in, and who knows how the next (?) amount of owners took care of it or drove it. So its basically juyst got a lot of miles on it and subsequently is making noise now. T-F's guy said that you can only expect to see 50,000 - 60,000 miles out of these things due to the nature of the 4:1 and how the planetary is sppinning so much faster than a stock one. But hey, only 600$ plus shipping back and forth and T-F will replace the annular gear and planetary for you. :D

I don't hear any vacuum leaks. When I pump it it actually builds some pressure too. Picking up master this weekend and gonna see if I can't salvage any front hard lines

Mine did that on the 89. The hose that comes off it and heads to (dont remember) was messed up. replaced that and the nipple it attached too and brakes were good again

I didn't catch what year model that was but if it is the dual diaphram booster, make sure it is sealed to the MC or you can have problems.

I pulled David's T-Case apart and looked everything over, then I called Tera-Flex and had a lengthy discussion with their tech guy. Determination is that its just the planetary making some extra noise because its getting sloppy from age. Its a 5 gear planetary, I got in 2007/2008 but its probably seen a lot of miles. I know I was daily driving and almost weekly wheeling both Jeeps I had it in, and who knows how the next (?) amount of owners took care of it or drove it. So its basically juyst got a lot of miles on it and subsequently is making noise now. T-F's guy said that you can only expect to see 50,000 - 60,000 miles out of these things due to the nature of the 4:1 and how the planetary is sppinning so much faster than a stock one. But hey, only 600$ plus shipping back and forth and T-F will replace the annular gear and planetary for you. :D
So its just noisy, or will it fail?

Well its a Tera-Low so its going to fail, eventually. I think he'll be fine for quite a while, esppecially as him and his dad seem to take things fairly easy. The problem is its noisy all the time and its his daily driver. I told him to see if Josh would be willing to let him return it for a refund, but if not to just run it until it breaks and keep the stereo turned up so he doesn;t have to listen to the damn thing. At least that way he might get his money out of it. He definitely seemed pretty bummed and not very happy with his purchase. I think though that if he can live with the noise he'll definitely be happy with it once he hits the trails. At least for as long as it lasts before it grenades itself in typical Tera-Low action. :dunno:

Hopefully Josh won't stick David with that crappy t-case.... Not exactly cool to sell a part you didn't test first. I'm guessing then that the rig it came out of wasn't running or at least able to drive off a trailer into the shop where it was dismantled because it's hard to believe no one noticed that noise before David got it......

My biggest issue with the Tera-Low kit is the super loud whine you get in 4low. I've never heard that in any other setup. I know its mainly because its using a planetary where D300's, Atlas, and similar aren't but still. I'll stick with my welded and adapted 231/D300 double setup over another Tera-Low 231. When that thing fails I'll probably fork out the cash for an Atlas or maybe a Stak. Of course I'm also thinking of doing a V8 swap with an automatic and if thats the case it'll probably be a 203/205 combo for me.

the tera 4:1 in truggy is atleast 10 years old and noisy as hell in 4lo dont hear nadda in 2hi cause I gots hubs :D

Radio? WTF is a radio? My Jeeps don't have no stinking radios.

Thats what I told David to do, turn up the radio and deal with the noise. Chances are it'll last him several years and then he can either send it off to be rebuilt for 600$ (and still only be into it for the full price of the Ter-Low kit and SYE anyways) or just junk it and go with something different.

Hopefully Josh won't stick David with that crappy t-case.... Not exactly cool to sell a part you didn't test first. I'm guessing then that the rig it came out of wasn't running or at least able to drive off a trailer into the shop where it was dismantled because it's hard to believe no one noticed that noise before David got it......
the thing was a bucket. everything on it sounded like shit. obly people driving it were owner and josh, so dunno

Back