• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Went to the strip

I going to try and make it to the strip this year with something. My jeep by then will have a spool in the rear so I should have no traction problem but could also put in full time to I guess.

The only thing I messed with so far was newest model sebring it was all black with lots of chrome. Stay with the whole time. Another thing about the v8 is I break the speed limit in overdrive with a head wind and going up a hill. The old 4.0 I had could keep speed on the level ground.

5.2poweredxj said:
Another thing about the v8 is I break the speed limit in overdrive with a head wind and going up a hill. The old 4.0 I had could keep speed on the level ground.

Out in Colorado, my stroked XJ pulled triple digit speeds up a 6% grade at 7,000 feet elevation. I know it doesn't matter, but oh well. Anyways, if you go to Rock Falls drag strip south of Eau Claire, let me know.

BlueCuda said:
Did you buy chance see what this ran?

DSC09879.jpg

He has a shop downtown I used to deliver to all the time, great guy. Also a good place to take anything to be worked on if you needed it.

Did the owner of this car go to Union HS in Tulsa? There was a guy that had nearly that exact same car at my HS, but sans blower. I can't remember for my life what his name was, but seems like he kicked some ass at the high school shootout drags. He would be about 35-36 years old now....

I don't know. I think the owner of the car is in his mid 40s or so but I could be wrong. I know he has had this car at least 8-10 years IIRC.

jeepinwi said:
Anyways, if you go to Rock Falls drag strip south of Eau Claire, let me know.

I will when I go. I just don't know which day to go there. Should I go during the muscle car days or the tunner days? I'm thinking the muscle car days.

Dr. Dyno ran 15.39 @ 91.1 mph with only bolt on mods and a few things removed. I can't find it on his site, but I'm pretty sure he ran low to mid 14's at around 95mph after he built his stroker. Dino?

This is pretty damn good for a 3500lb brick...

Beej said:
Dr. Dyno ran 15.39 @ 91.1 mph with only bolt on mods and a few things removed. I can't find it on his site, but I'm pretty sure he ran low to mid 14's at around 95mph after he built his stroker. Dino?

This is pretty damn good for a 3500lb brick...
Thats with a 5 speed and some smaller tires. I remember him saying 27.4". Makes sense with bolt-ons but a 15.4 isn't crazy with those factors.

I've dreamed of finding an old 2wd 2 door like streetpirate and making a slick sleeper. Lower it an inch or two, strip the interior, seats, roofrack and any skids. Take out the glass on the sides and rear window and replace with lexan or plexi. See if I could drop 500lbs in total through various means. Build a poor man's stroker and run a Tbird S/C at around 7psi. You'd have a 2800lb 360hp torque monster. An AW4 could handle that nicely with a spooled rear end. Theoretically you'd have a runner in the mid to low 12's and would leave angry ricers and a few T/A's and Mustangs in your wake.

Ahh, dare to dream.

Too bad I have a new baby and my wife would surgically remove my balls if I brought it up over dinner...

:D

My Dream street XJ? 87-90 Waggy, grand cherokee AWD t-case, LS1, 4L60E. Everything as stock appearing on the outside as can be. Worst case scenario figure 100-200lbs over stock since the LS1 in aluminum. Should go mid-high 13s with a stock LS1. Converter, gears, cam etc could open up some very good ETs with the traction of AWD.

My other jeep dream is an FSJ Grand Waggy on a 3/4 ton cummins dodge frame. That would be one hell of a tow rig with the pimp style of the grand wagoneer :D.

Best I can tell I'm already fairly deep into the fifteen's just based off the cars I've raced, beat, and lost to and by how much. Not to sound like a dick but I really don't see how you guys have such slow et's. But I'm goin to the strip when it opens in just a couple weeks then I'll know for sure :D

I have been out of drag racing since getting rid of my modified VW, but after putting smaller tires on my Jeep for daily duties and reading this sub-forum I am getting the speed bug again. Maybe I can get the wife to let me buy a 2wd XJ.

I've been suprised at the amount of aftermarket support for the 4oh. I mean, a high performance aluminum head? You can't even get an aftermarket performance head for a new mustang lol. And as far as pistons and valve-train you can pretty much build away to your heart's desire.

PurpleCherokee said:
Best I can tell I'm already fairly deep into the fifteen's just based off the cars I've raced, beat, and lost to and by how much. Not to sound like a dick but I really don't see how you guys have such slow et's. But I'm goin to the strip when it opens in just a couple weeks then I'll know for sure :D
Thats what I thought too. Careful what you read in motor trend / car + driver.

Beej said:
I've dreamed of finding an old 2wd 2 door like streetpirate and making a slick sleeper. Lower it an inch or two, strip the interior, seats, roofrack and any skids. Take out the glass on the sides and rear window and replace with lexan or plexi. See if I could drop 500lbs in total through various means. Build a poor man's stroker and run a Tbird S/C at around 7psi. You'd have a 2800lb 360hp torque monster. An AW4 could handle that nicely with a spooled rear end. Theoretically you'd have a runner in the mid to low 12's and would leave angry ricers and a few T/A's and Mustangs in your wake.

Ahh, dare to dream.

Too bad I have a new baby and my wife would surgically remove my balls if I brought it up over dinner...

www.prostreetjeep.com

Last edited:
BBeach said:
Thats what I thought too. Careful what you read in motor trend / car + driver.
Lol trust me, I don't trust car & driver any farther than I can throw them (and to quote ferris bueller... "well, with your bad knee Ed, you shouldn't throw anybody"). But what I do know is that a pretty much beat the brakes off a new v-6 mustang BEFORE my new motor and headers. The mustang did have three guys in it though.

GrimmJeeper said:
Sure its pretty, but in my view, the V8 makes it lame.

I want an inline six rocket. My dream build is a dream but its actually doable realistically on a budget. If I were to dream big, or to use the same kind of budget these guys have, I'd be shooting for a 15psi 450hp 11 second inline six crusher...

Dont forget how far a 1/4 mile is too. Most street races shouldn't go past 60ish mph (just messing around kinda thing) whereas on the strip you'll be going a bit faster (usually where most cars pass the jeeps). Trust me. I remember beating grand ams and integras, even an srt-4 off the line to be taken over halfway down the track (except the srt4 haha).

Some people think it's only a dream for the ol 4oh to be a total rocket but if you build it just like you'd build any other performance engine it's totally possible to get some serious HP and torque out of it NA and on pump gas. You throw a turbo on that and you've got a really hot inline 6 :D

And I agree about Jeeps being handicapped at higher speeds but I'm sayin I put over a length on him to 60 so even if he catches up it'll still be a damn good race. In other words my et would be pretty close to his. I just used it to guesstimate my 1/4 mile et.

Last edited:
PurpleCherokee said:

So, will the truth come out? Will you post your slow ass time? Or will you only post a good time. Not to be a dick ;)

I set the bar low, my heavy ass jeep will be lucky to see a 16.00 even with the stroker. I am realistic in the fact its a heavy, non aerodynamic, station wagon with big heavy tires. :doh:

Back