• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding drop brackets

Are you running drop bracket braces also? If not, I would reccomend getting some installed first. I actually welded my braces to the frame stiffeners for a while before I cut them off and went to a long arm. I personally wouldn't reccomend welding the brackets themselves to the original buckets but, that's just my .02

I agree. At some point, I might be interested in losing them for long arms. In the meanwhile, they seem pretty sturdy.

Well, I'm like IGOCOMMANDO. I have frame stiffeners and the braces. If anything, I'd weld the braces to the stiffeners, but not the db's to the stock pockets.

Well, I think if you have the 4 bolts per side, you won't have any issues. I wheeled the heck out of mine and they are pretty beat but, never a problem. The braces stop the rearward movement of the axle so, its more of a compression issue as opposed to torsional issue. They just basically act as stops. Welding shouldn't hurt them though if you'd feel safer. And, DEFTWILLP, you aren't like me. You're better looking....:cheers:

Aw you're just saying that because my picture shows me wearing a volleyball on my head.

For what it's worth, I certainly expect that my dropbrackets will outlive my XJ.

Welding them on would make em a LOT harder to swap onto the next rig...

Robert

thats what i was wondering. the two drop bracket parts (bracket+stiffener). Id like to weld those together but not weld to the stock bracket or frame.

I aree I would weld just the brackes to the Jeep and leave the actual drop bracket itself bolt on. I don't think it really needs to be welded as it the loads are actually pushing it into the Jeep. Also if you ever need to take it out it is quite feasable to expect to be able to make new braces if you damage them cutting them out. Not so with the drop bracket.

I welded the drop brackets to the braces and then decided to run a couple beads around the exposed areas of the stock pocket...fast forwrd one year later and I purchased the TNT Y-link kit...it was a lot of grinder and cut off whell time to get those drop brackets off..but they did come off in usable shape and another member has them now and is still wheeling the bag off of them as well....moral to the story is dont weld them on, they are rigid/sturdy enough the way that they were designed.

Back