• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welded diff on dd??

None so far! Yes it will push a little in corners(let off the gas!) and yes you will see more tire wear(it depends on what tire your running), and yes it will chirp on very tight corners, but I've driven quite a bit and it's worth it off road. I just put 400 miles this weekend on a trip to Badlands(wheeled the hell out of it) and am good to go more! It all depends on what you can put up with. I run no sway bars with a 3" lift and I'm fine because I don't drive like I'm driving a Porsche.

You'll get really sick of it after a few months. Every time you pull into a parking spot, gas pump, driveway, etc., you'll start to hear (and see) dollar signs scuffing across the pavement. Yeah, it does great offroad, except for steep off-camber stuff, and it's cheap, but so is an Aussie Locker. I have had a welded rear in my TJ (8.8) for about 5 years, and I never even drive it unless I'm going 'wheelin, due entirely to the excessive tire wear. I never drove it as a daily driver with it welded, and I never could have without getting really tired of it, really fast. Tires are cheap, right?

I run a mini spool. When I only occasionally daily drove it a couple miles to work and back it was no big deal. Now I drive it on business trips of around 500 mi total once or twice a month and daily drive 20-30 mi its really killing my tires. About 6-9 months tire life with rotation at this rate. I love my mini spool (D44) and its fantastic off road and very predictable in ice, snow and rain. No bad habits at all. The tire wear is getting to me though. Tire wear is the only down side I can see. BTW since I run 31's I can buy three or four sets of rears on what I saved over buying a Detroit and paying someone to install it, more if you compare it to a selectable.

John

nosigma said:
I run a mini spool. When I only occasionally daily drove it a couple miles to work and back it was no big deal. Now I drive it on business trips of around 500 mi total once or twice a month and daily drive 20-30 mi its really killing my tires. About 6-9 months tire life with rotation at this rate. I love my mini spool (D44) and its fantastic off road and very predictable in ice, snow and rain. No bad habits at all. The tire wear is getting to me though. Tire wear is the only down side I can see. BTW since I run 31's I can buy three or four sets of rears on what I saved over buying a Detroit and paying someone to install it, more if you compare it to a selectable.

John

well put

nosigma said:
I run a mini spool. ... BTW since I run 31's I can buy three or four sets of rears on what I saved over buying a Detroit and paying someone to install it, more if you compare it to a selectable.

John

Apples to oranges. You did not buy a spool, you bought a mini-spool. Compare your mini-spool to an aussie or lockrite and do your locker vs tire math again.

I welded my 29 spline 8.25 to get me through till I can swap the axle. The spiders were chipped anyway, so I figured why not.

I would HATE to have to DD it. You will eat through tires like there's no tomorrow. Just moving mine around in my driveway, it chirps tires, and you can feel it bind up. It works great off-road though!

Worse yet, you run the risk of it breaking going 55 down the highway causing your axle to lock up and possibly kill yourself or others!

That's my greatest fear, so mine will ride on a trailer to any trail more than a few miles away.

So basically....don't weld it if it's a DD! Save for the "soon to be released" aussie ;)

Here is two questions for you,

Do you ever drive your rig to work in 4 low on dry clean payment?

Also if you had a selectable locker would you lock it on your daily drive?

Answer of cousre to both of these questions is no.

The reason is that you have a lot more traction on dry pavement. You do not need a locker/4 Low on dry payment to get the traction you need. Also all that extra traction can cause extreme stress on yout drivetrain.

I have had buddies who daily drove their rigs with welded diffs. All of them are not doing it anymore. For reasons of tire wear and one thier diff blew up while on an on-ramp to get on the freeway.

It's great to have all that free traction on the trail, but unless you trailer your rig, you have to get to the trail somehow. All that extra traveling makes your rig less reliable on the trail and most likely will fail when you need it the most.

Do yourself a favor an look at a lunchbox locker, it really does make a difference in strength and tire wear over a welded diff.

Personally, I would advise against welding a diff in a daily driver. It completely changes the way the rear will work on the street. Tire wear will be bad,you will be very unstable on wet or dirty pavement. The stress on the axles and every other part of the driveline will weaken parts making breakage more likely. I suggest a lunchbox locker like a lockright or Aussie is coming out with a locker for the 8.25. I am running Aussie in front and lockright in rear. No tire wear issues and works just like a spool when I need it to.

Back