• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld locker

I don't see how you are really able to turn on the street with a welded front jmop? To turn, one wheel has to be traveling faster than the other, and when the spiders are welded, that makes them travel at the same speed. I know when I broke my spider gears in my front, they would mesh a certain way and lock up. I unintentially drove off the road 3 times going 20 trying to get back to the trailers, because the front locked and I lost my steering ability.

Begster said:
I don't see how you are really able to turn on the street with a welded front jmop? To turn, one wheel has to be traveling faster than the other, and when the spiders are welded, that makes them travel at the same speed. I know when I broke my spider gears in my front, they would mesh a certain way and lock up. I unintentially drove off the road 3 times going 20 trying to get back to the trailers, because the front locked and I lost my steering ability.

umm... 1988 have a vac. dis connect on the axle. so when not in 4 the front will be un locked.

read

the

whole

thread

before

asking

questions

that

have

already

been

answered.

Unless you are asking if someone has ADD, your post is a bit ambiguous.

redjeep3 said:
yeah is an 88 so there is a vac dico. so thats not a big deal. it dose not hit the street to much, i have a older honda i drive 38 miles to and from work every day. the jeep is in the street to and from wheeling and sat. night to dukes bar...
isnt a mini spool the same thing?
what will brake if i wled it, and nothing will brake if i spool it???

Stop going to the bar. in a month you can probably save up enough $$$ to buy an aussie or some form of LB...
you spool it, your gonna break it. even in the Portland mudd. especially since most disco axles have 260 joints. 760 shafts for a disco axle are a bit more obscure to find.
watch how fast you break a joint... especially on anything bigger than 31"s.

a welded front with a cable axle disco would allow you to unlock the front whenever turning is a priority
you will have problems turning otherwise despite the terrain
I have a friend I wheel with who has 40s and a welded front(it's a mud truck)
it is a pain to unlock hubs every time you want to turn around but the traction is worth it
with a cble system you could lock and unlock from the drivers seat so it would be selectable in a sense but the same side would allways be driving(could be a negative-or not)I say do it and carry spare parts but understand that there are limitations and stock axles should break regularly locked with 33s anyway with traction anyway with any locker (the axle shafts are smaller than my daughters wrists)

Lock rights are cheap and will unlock on the road. But if you only have a choice between open and welded then weld it up! Just weld up between the spiders so you can get it apart later. You won't break any more than with any locker or spool but you will have a hard time turning and stress the unibody and steering all the time. Just remember that the front end is going to break if you floor it while turning hard or flooring it and bouncing up rocks or roots. It will also be hard to turn when stoped or moving real slow. It's a big change and will take time to get used to it but you will love the off-road traction.

You guy's really need to stop giving such B.S. advice. NEVER,NEVER,NEVER fully lock a front end,UNLESS it is trail rig only. I don't care if it's a vac disco or not, don't do it. A 30 is POS anyway why push it? If ya gotta keep the 30 do a lunchbox and be done. If it's a trailer qween, do a spoon and be done. Just have plenty of spare parts O/H.

ia green96 said:
You guy's really need to stop giving such B.S. advice. NEVER,NEVER,NEVER fully lock a front end,UNLESS it is trail rig only. I don't care if it's a vac disco or not, don't do it. A 30 is POS anyway why push it? If ya gotta keep the 30 do a lunchbox and be done. If it's a trailer qween, do a spoon and be done. Just have plenty of spare parts O/H.

Wow man, take a chill. Like you said it's just a D30, you can get an entire axle out of a u-pull for less then replacement shafts for any other axle. I ran a D30 welded for a while so from personal expierience bring extra shafts cuz you will proably break every time you go out, I did. I'd still rather run a welded front then an open one.

That all sounds great!Now put it in 4wd,I saw a guy get "bloody" knuckles one day at the switchbacks on the "Silver Bell Loop".I have an ARB in front and I can definately tell when I forget to turn it off after negotiating just a rock!

Back