• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weld a D30 with Manual Hubs?

Hellboy006

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys my brother has a 2000 XJ with Warn manual hubs on the front (installed by the previous owner). From what Ive read this is a pretty much pointless upgrade for the little D30 which is stock other than having 4.56 gears.
Here is my question: I know welding the front diff without the manual hubs wouldn't be the best idea, but since it does have the warn hubs the axles would only be under strain when they were locked in right?
Im not exactly sure that I know how it all works but in my mind it works like this..

When not in 4 wheel drive (I have the part-time only t-case btw) & the hubs unlocked, the front drive shaft, diff & front axles should just sit there & not even spin right? (Undetectable on the street)

But then when I put it in 4 wheel drive & lock the hubs in Ill have true lock up front correct?

Since this is a DD we want street manners but I want to be able to turn all 4 tires in the mud/gravel.. What I eventually want is a locked front (that i can disconnect with the hubs) & a limited slip in the rear.
I just thought maybe we could save some money by welding the front instead of buying a locker for it.
Thanks! :wierd:

do not weld the front diff - EVER!

even on a only off road vehicle only it sucks turning the front end.

since this is a dd AND the previous owner installed the 1300 dollar or so warn hub conversion just get a aussie, spartan or lockright and be done with it. Install is a since and you will reap the benefits of a auto locker while being street-able... pus it is easy on the wallet at 250 + or -

never weld a front or spool a front - it stinks!

Thanks for all the good info, looks like we will be going with an auto locker.. 300- isn't bad. Forgive my ignorance to the subject but isn't a 100% locking diff basically the same as a welded diff? I mean the end result is the same thing when the diff is engaged right?

Hey guys my brother has a 2000 XJ with Warn manual hubs on the front (installed by the previous owner). From what Ive read this is a pretty much pointless upgrade for the little D30 which is stock other than having 4.56 gears.

Far from pointless. But you claimed you were ignorant on the subject so it's understandable that you don't see the pros.

So what IS the point of having manual hubs without a locker up front? Other than bumping your gas mileage up like 1 mpg maybe...

If you have a really short front driveline(like with an AX15 and AtlasII), don't want to rotate your knuckes, relocate your coil buckets, and control arm mounts, then running hubs is a very good way to get rid of on road driveline vibes. There's a big compromise between caster and driveline angle. If your rig is a daily driver you want your caster bang on and locking hubs will alow you to do that without worrying about front drive line angles(to a certain point).

Ah... I see, maybe that's the reason the previous owner installed them, the front end definitely has some issues that I would like to discuss with you guys. But I should probably start a new thread for that. :laugh3:

So what IS the point of having manual hubs without a locker up front? Other than bumping your gas mileage up like 1 mpg maybe...

2 wheel low. No bind on steering and low gear trail riding.
You have 30 spline stub shafts and can upgrade your inners.
If you break a front axle, you just unlock and keep riding.
It gets rid of the unit bearing to serviceable bearings.

Far from useless.

Ok I see now, I was thinking auto lockers like Aussie & Lock-Right went from either 100% locked to fully open like a "selectable" diff. But I guess they're more like a helical limited slip differential right? I'm pretty sure we've decided to go with Aussie lockers front & rear, they seem to be the same quality as the Lock-Right units (if not better) & I can get the Aussie set for about 100$ less.

Ok I see now, I was thinking auto lockers like Aussie & Lock-Right went from either 100% locked to fully open like a "selectable" diff. But I guess they're more like a helical limited slip differential right? I'm pretty sure we've decided to go with Aussie lockers front & rear, they seem to be the same quality as the Lock-Right units (if not better) & I can get the Aussie set for about 100$ less.

Back