• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Poll

What water pump brand did you bolt on?

• OEM Jeep

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • ASC/Airtex

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • GMB

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Flowkooler

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • C.A.T Pep

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A1 Cardone

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Hesco

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • House brand, Autozone, Advance, Carquest, Napa

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • other

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
The impeller degrades from "cavitation erosion", not so much from galvanic corrosion. tiny bubbles...
quote]

I would agree with this also, but part of Hesco's water pump design is anti-cavitation. If you look at their impeller it is shaped way different than a stock impeller that acts like a paddle instead of a pump. I have witnessed aluminum props on boats errode from cavitaion, but in this application I think the impeller will outlast the bearing.
waterpump.jpg

Indeed, the impeller did outlast the bearings. I just replaced a Hesco pump, the bearings were toast but the impeller is still good. I got 5 years out of this pump and another Heco just went in :cheers:

My factory pump on my 99 was still working fine when I replaced it recently after 11 years and 140k as I was replacing my radiator.

I stay away from ANYTHING "Airtex" like the plague. It is often a low price point option though at many parts stores, so it gets purchased.

I can't tell you how many Airtex components I've replaced for premature failure.

Other .... but whatever brand is in a USMW box sold through rugged ridge is what I got.

x2 on remanned water pumps. Used aluminum castings are for the smelter.

Some of the names in the poll are redundant, just rebrands. There are at least 10 other name brands not list here.

I'd like to draw the "family tree of parts" lines, not just for water pumps, but for the other common replacement parts.

That would be a handy thing ;)

Surprised it hasnt already been done considering how long XJs and most of the aftermarket suppliers have been around.

........... Aluminum is the second worst impeller material, next to plastic. This is a race part.

Riveting a disc to the impeller will increase the "efficiency" of the pump by nth %, and double the price. Might make nice grinding noises as an added bonus.

Remanned pumps are often crap, since they are already reject castings. You might get a good one, but its unlikely. Not worth the experiment.

The impeller degrades from "cavitation erosion", not so much from galvanic corrosion. The cavitation pits cause more bubbles and so on.

Granted, on a low-rpm engine, an aluminum impeller will last a while..............

One of the reasons our 2.5's and 4.0's last so long is they are steel, block and head. When you put an aluminum head on a steel block you have the two materials expanding as they heat up and cool off at different rates, result is usually head gasket failure. The heads literally wear the gasket out from movement. I'm not a big fan of aluminum engines either, too soft IMO.
As far as aluminum pump housings go, they really are not big enough for this to be a problem and the tolerances are not that tight like a head to block fit. Also the pressures are not there in a water pump, you are talking 18lbs of pressure vs 100+ pounds per cylinder times 4 or 6.

X 2 ....... Which also makes replacing an aluminium radiator for a copper/brass one in an XJ - a real good move .... as it further reduces the vehicles alloy corrosion and electrolysis issues ... making coolant, corrosion additives fussiness, less critical.

Alloy is only used for manufacturing cheapness .... not consumer benefit .... ;)

Was quite a to do, amongst coolant manufacturers back in the 70's working out what extras were needed in the mix to prolong life expectancy of the newly introduced alloy bits.

Both 4.0's have a new NAPA pump and each has about 40K on it with no problems.

Replaced the stocker in my '99 with a GMB while swapping in a new radiator and other related parts. Could have just left the old one in there. It was dirty on the outside, but still looked like new on the inside and the bearings still felt nice and smooth. How come nobody can make an aftermarket pump that lasts 10+ years?

I used a Advance Auto Parts one as it was still under a "Lifetime Warranty" from the previous owner, as was the fan clutch. Hooray for saving receipts for over 5 years! I did try to "upgrade" to an American made one but they just don't offer any.

I have always considered 4 years as about the life of a WP on a daily driver that is well maintained.

Setting the drive belt tension too high will shorten WP and other belt driven accessories/idlers lives.

Hesco WP and high flow thermostat housing. OEM Thermostat.

Replaced 2 high flow thermostats in one winter.

They wouldn't close completely and I could never get temps anywhere near 195 degrees.

Back