• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Was trying to change serp belt and broke stuff

ZoranZ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all...

Been a while since I've been on here, haven't had any issues with the old XJ until I decided to be brave and change my serpentine belt on my 99 XJ Sport 4.0. Pretty simple enough right? Well, the 4 simple screws to remove the electric fan and the fan guard were all rusted and stripped. So here's my problems.

1. Couldn't remove the screw for the electric fan closer to radiator cap (drivers side), plastic broke while removing. The screw is stripped so I'm going to have to drill it out. I"ll probably epoxy a piece of plastic to the fan and drill a new hole to hold it in place. The other screw and plastic is intact. There's not much movement from the drivers side anyway. That or I could just drill another hole somewhere where the plastic is ok.

2. While removing the fan I didn't disconnect the hose that goes from the radiator to the reservoir and broke the little plastic piece the hose attaches to. Does that mean I need to buy a new radiator to fix that? (see photobucket link for pictures)

The good news is, once I broke, I mean removed everything I was able to get to the pulley and loosened it up so I should be able to get the serpentine belt in there in the morning. Just sort of SOL right now with the pieces I broke until someone gives me some info, tips.

http://s358.photobucket.com/user/zoranzam/library/99%20XJ%2040%20%20serpentine%20problems

Thanks in advance folks!

it looks like there may be enough meat on the radiator that maybe you, or someone can carefully thread some npt threads to the inside of the attachment for a barbed fitting, dont let any plastic enter the radiator. those plastic fittings can be a bear, hoses have an amazing amount of force in their grip. a small screw driver from behind is the best way to remove a hose i have found. just work it around the inside at the end of the hose till you can freely remove the hose, if you have to use force, it's not free,

my screws broke as well, and it does not take long for the plastic pulley on the power steering pump to wear out the back of the fan. and also the pulley on the power steering pump itself, so what ever you do to repair it make sure it will hold. i used some self tapping sheet metal screws to repair mine at one point,

in the meantime do yourself a favor get yourself a deep offset 15 millimeter wrench to get to the idler pulley bolt, this will allow you to comfortable loosen and tighten up your idler pulley, that and a 15 millimeter socket and an extension/ratchet, 2 minutes tops to swap one.you do not have to take anything apart and no scraping your knuckles across the fan blade. it is handy in a few other spots as well and should be a part of your jeep tool arsenal. also keep your belt as a spare in your jeep if it is still usable, it will never break if you have a spare ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have a socket and wrench. once I broke everything I was able to loosen the idler pulley with a bunch of PB blast. Also the (forget what it's called) part that allows up and down movement of the pulley for tension.

Just want to make sure I put this back in right, do I tighten the pulley first go for tension then pulley? Sorry, but of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

Happy New Year!

you install the belt, then use the bolt to tighten the tensioner. Then you lock down the puley with the center bolt.

be sure not to overtighten, or you will eat alternator bearings.

That plstic nipple does not hold pressure, but it does need to be airtight so the radiator will draw coolant back from the overflow bottle and not air. Get the piece out of the hose. Clean everything well with brake cleaner.
http://www.zoro.com/j-b-weld-epoxy-...folEQiik28-O4GrYE20EnxoCF27w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
reattach with that. It will stick and hold.

That screw just goes into a speedy nut. Way easier to just cut the head off with a grinder than to drill it out. Drill a pilot hole on the tab that's left on the fan. Use some plumbing strap and a sheetmetal screw to recreate the tab to bolt it to the core support.

Back