• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Was it a mistake to swap my 242 for a 231 transfer case?

No doubt that there are strong versions of the 242. For that matter there are HD versions of the 231 as well. The OP wanted to know if he made a mistake swapping out his stock Jeep 242, which, as we already know, is not the same as a Dodge 242. I think he gained strength but only because he now has a 32 spline output shaft. Im sure fulltime can be useful but it wouldnt be reason for me to change t-cases. If I were shopping for another XJ, I would be more inclined to get a 231, even for a dd just because the aftermarket is better.

Ray H said:
No doubt that there are strong versions of the 242. For that matter there are HD versions of the 231 as well. The OP wanted to know if he made a mistake swapping out his stock Jeep 242, which, as we already know, is not the same as a Dodge 242. I think he gained strength but only because he now has a 32 spline output shaft. Im sure fulltime can be useful but it wouldnt be reason for me to change t-cases. If I were shopping for another XJ, I would be more inclined to get a 231, even for a dd just because the aftermarket is better.

Have you owned a 242 equipped XJ and used the fulltime for a everyday driving?

I'm building an MJ and swapping a 242 case in it. I might build it with the H1 parts that eliminates the 2wd position for the added strength. It will be as strong as the Dodge case at very least.

After owning 242 equipped Jeeps I would swap out a 231 ASAP.

I have over 150,000 mile's with my XJ's and all except about 10,000 miles were driven in the fulltime position. They have held up great. I drive it hard every day.

TNT said:
Have you owned a 242 equipped XJ and used the fulltime for a everyday driving?

Honestly, no.
Ive been perfectly happy with the 231. Theres not been a situation where Ive felt the need for all wheel drive. If its slick, I put it in 4WD and leave it there until its not slick. Even if I have to go back and forth a couple times, big deal, 4WD is only a flip of the wrist away. Im not one of those people that think my Jeep is going to explode as soon as I hit a patch of dry pavement in part time. Anyways, thats my opinion. Back to the OP. He swapped out a STOCK 242 for a 231 with HD output. Do I think thats a bad swap, no. I guess he had the option of tearing into the 242 and building it or buying a HD 242 and putting it in or putting in an Atlas or D300, lots of options out there depending on ones needs. If strength is more important than all wheel drive, then he did ok.

Last edited:
The 242's fulltime benefits go far beyond snow. I can tell the difference in all driving conditions and it just blows away a 231 from a on road driving stand point. It pulls you around tight corners, is awesome in the rain and IMO is superior for all on road use.

As for the OP get the 242. It handles better and is safer. GoJeep has a SYE he has on his site that will allow you to use the front shaft in the rear also.

I will be researching the upgrades that are done to the 242 to make it way stronger. Some of them are a 32 spline output shaft and an external cooler.

TNT said:
The 242's fulltime benefits go far beyond snow. I can tell the difference in all driving conditions and it just blows away a 231 from a on road driving stand point. It pulls you around tight corners, is awesome in the rain and IMO is superior for all on road use.

As for the OP get the 242. It handles better and is safer. GoJeep has a SYE he has on his site that will allow you to use the front shaft in the rear also.

I will be researching the upgrades that are done to the 242 to make it way stronger. Some of them are a 32 spline output shaft and an external cooler.

Have you driven a rig withn a 231??

I think you miss the point of the original poster. He isn't asking which would be the better thing to do, get an upgraded 231, or upgrade his 242. He already did it, and is just wondering if he made a mistake.

Who knows, except that it certainly isn't a mistake to be using a stronger t-case.

You like a 242, so that's what you want, and that's the right decision for you. I could care less about fulltime 4x4, and I wouldn't have a t-case without a 32 spline output shaft, so a 231 is the right t-case for me.

Goatman said:
Have you driven a rig withn a 231??

I think you miss the point of the original poster. He isn't asking which would be the better thing to do, get an upgraded 231, or upgrade his 242. He already did it, and is just wondering if he made a mistake.

Who knows, except that it certainly isn't a mistake to be using a stronger t-case.

You like a 242, so that's what you want, and that's the right decision for you. I could care less about fulltime 4x4, and I wouldn't have a t-case without a 32 spline output shaft, so a 231 is the right t-case for me.

Yes, I have on a 231 in my MJ.

I also had an Atlas/Klune V combo for about a year too.
I missed the fulltime 4wd, but got used to it. I sold it to pay medical bills.

I agree about the 32 spline, that's why I'm going with a H1 '96 or newer 32 spline output shaft and the wide chain along with some other parts.

My point was to tell the OP that the 242 is upgradeable so he can have his cake and eat it too.

The FT feature on the 242 is only marginal when compared to the 249 used in the grands. On wet pavement in FT (242) when I floor it from a dead stop in a straight line the left front tire will break loose. It also has a nasty habit of sending all power to the 1 wheel with no traction due to it's center open differential design. I don't mind switching from PT to FT and back again when going from snow covered roads to wet pavement, but I DO NOT use FT when the pavement cannot be seen as it's just too unpredictable compared to PT. IMHO, the 242 is a 'middle of the road' T case. As far as driving in PT on wet pavement it will absolutely stretch the T case chain over time introducing slop nobody needs.

Slo-Sho said:
The FT feature on the 242 is only marginal when compared to the 249 used in the grands. On wet pavement in FT (242) when I floor it from a dead stop in a straight line the left front tire will break loose. It also has a nasty habit of sending all power to the 1 wheel with no traction due to it's center open differential design. I don't mind switching from PT to FT and back again when going from snow covered roads to wet pavement, but I DO NOT use FT when the pavement cannot be seen as it's just too unpredictable compared to PT. IMHO, the 242 is a 'middle of the road' T case. As far as driving in PT on wet pavement it will absolutely stretch the T case chain over time introducing slop nobody needs.

Yet a month ago you gave this advise... :sure:

Slo-Sho said:
Driving on dry/wet pavement in Part time is do-able w/o causing any binding so long as you aren't trying to parallel park, going through a plowed Taco Bhell drive thru trail shouldn't be a problem. The 'Backlash' that is introduced to the T/C chain is increased the more it is done however...

Very rarely will the 242 spin one tire unless you are running mud tires .

As soon as the roads are snow cover I lock it into parttime because it handles better and brakes better.

If you want a rocking set-up run a Tru Trac in the front and a tight posi or locker in thr rear. It will have to spin at least 2 tires then.

TNT said:
Yet a month ago you gave this advise... :sure:

As soon as the roads are snow cover I lock it into parttime because it handles better and brakes better.

If you want a rocking set-up run a Tru Trac in the front and a tight posi or locker in thr rear. It will have to spin at least 2 tires then.

It really makes me warm and fuzzy that people actually don't read what I post. In that link you posted I said it was 'doable', I didn't say it was advisable. In both instances I do mention T case chain stretch using PT on wet pavement. Also I run 31" A/T's with 4.10 gears...I do apologize from the bottom of my heart that I have found the 242's achilles heel as this obviously upsets you.:bawl:

TNT said:
Regardless of tires, M/T's or not you do acknowledge this to be true.:moon:

Well, this is sorta getting beaten to death, but I am surprised no one has asked this yet...Do you have an automatic locker in the front? If you do, you absolutely made the right choice as you wouldn't really be able to use full-time anyway. If not, well I personally think it was stilll a good choice.

jakec said:
Do you have an automatic locker in the front? If you do, you absolutely made the right choice as you wouldn't really be able to use full-time anyway.

Just out of curiosity, why? Im not arguing, Im just dont know why an automatic locker wouldnt work normally.

Slo-Sho said:
It really makes me warm and fuzzy that people actually don't read what I post. In that link you posted I said it was 'doable', I didn't say it was advisable. In both instances I do mention T case chain stretch using PT on wet pavement. Also I run 31" A/T's with 4.10 gears...I do apologize from the bottom of my heart that I have found the 242's achilles heel as this obviously upsets you.:bawl:

Regardless of tires, M/T's or not you do acknowledge this to be true.:moon:

You said "Driving on dry/wet pavement in Part time is do-able w/o causing any binding so long as you aren't trying to parallel park, going through a plowed Taco Bell drive thru trail shouldn't be a problem."

I would bet if you drove around in parttime on dry pavement the case would bind up.

Here's some pictures of a 231 that was driven in 4 HI on the highway in light rain.

n69205416_32366518_1792.jpg

Another view

n69205416_32366519_2097.jpg

It just doesn't look to 'doable' to me... :moon:

Slo-Sho said:
That happened with the same gear sets in both axles? Same tire diameter and every ting ? Astounding.

Yes it had the same tires and gears. When there is enough bind built up somethings got to go. The case is the weak spot. I've seen this happen about 10 times when I was a tech.

That is why the owners manual and some of the later drivers visors say 4HI/parttime is for use on slippery low traction surfaces only.

I also swapped out my 231 for a 242 when lifting the xj.Wish I knew about the 242HD there are alot of Durango's in the yard. I bet I'll be replacing my T-case after I add some turbo boost.

For DD, I think the 242 is the best, (TNT, ansd SLO-SHO) said it best, the case shines in the rain, nothing like being able to floor it around corners or pulling out into traffic.

I think this post has had it. Everyone has a preferance, try both cases and pick your favorite.

Just think chrysler could have been cheap and only gave us one case. now that would have sucked.

Sometimes it's funny when you're doing a search for one thing and you come across an old thread that you started many moons ago and have long since forgotten about. This turned out to be a nice healthy debate and an even more interesting read.

In case any of you were wondering, I still have the NP231 under the Jeep and have long since forgotten about my original fears that I made a mistake. I am happy with the knowledge that I have the thicker and stronger output shaft from the SYE and don't worry about that being my weak point on the XJ.

I thought the many points brought up in this old thread were interesting, and I concluded that this is just another one of those things where neither party is right or wrong. Both transfer cases are great and I couldn't have gone wrong with leaving the 242 under my Jeep either.

Thanks for all the comments. I hope some of you get a kick out of reading the comments much like I did. Enjoy.

I also swapped out my 231 for a 242 when lifting the xj.Wish I knew about the 242HD there are alot of Durango's in the yard. I bet I'll be replacing my T-case after I add some turbo boost.

For DD, I think the 242 is the best, (TNT, ansd SLO-SHO) said it best, the case shines in the rain, nothing like being able to floor it around corners or pulling out into traffic.

I think this post has had it. Everyone has a preferance, try both cases and pick your favorite.

Just think chrysler could have been cheap and only gave us one case. now that would have sucked.

Interesting option with the 242HD. I want to someday swap my 231 to one with fulltime 4WD. Not only can you use 4WD on dry and wet roads, but also trails with good traction, IE rocky and hard pack dirt.

Back