• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD to 4WD transfer case wiring question

rang-a-stang

NAXJA Forum User
I have added an NP242 to my ex-2WD XJ and now I am trying to get the 4WD lights to work on my dash. Using this diagram from the service manual.
oJoR

I opened up the connector behind the engine (C107), This one:
HqOx

used this pinout:
w3Yr

On the truck side of this connector, I get 12v on pins 8 and 12. When I ground them, the lights work correctly on my dash. On the harness side, pins 8 and 12 are not there. On the backside of the connecter, there are plugs where the wires should go in. This is not surprising since my truck was built 2wd. But what is odd, I think I DO have connector C112 on my harness:
oLKL

And it does have 2 wires (Black/white and Black/red) but it is shaped differently than this one:
CRRc

It's the typical 2 pin weatherpack connector, (like the one on an NP231 switch). So
1) Anyone have any idea where Jeep would have ended these 2 wires (Black/white and Black/red) in the trans harness? I mean I know I need to open the harness to bring them up to C107, but if it is right up near engine that would be nice. If it is down by the trans, this is going to suck.
2) Anyone know the part number for the pins in C107? So when I do find my wires, I can terminate them in the connector correctly?
3) Anyone have an NP242 switch connector? I found the part number for the connector and plan to order one but it would be nice to have an actual factory part.

The year your working on would help???

Sorry; 2000 4.0, AW4, BONE stock

I only see the two pin 231 switch on rock auto.

Looking around, it looks like the NP242 transfer case switch connector is Delphi 12065298. Looking at pictures, that connector looks just like the one in the service manual. I found it here and ordered 3 of them (in case I mess one or two of them up).

I bought 3 of these

I guess I am going to have to unhook C107, pull the harness down, and open it up to see where the Black/white and Black/red wires end and add a ground. It sucks because I JUST rebuilt that harness with new conduit when I rebuilt my trans (like 4 months ago). Then I will head to the wrecking yard and see if I can pull a C107 connector and extract a few extra pins from it. I know I could just make another connector off to the side for the 4WD lights but I would rather not.

Back