• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to go bigger (not the avg. "what lift do i need" questions)

vetteboy said:
FWIW, the Rusty's 3" leaf packs I installed gave me 4.5" with a stock shackle til the day I ditched leaf springs forever, which was about 2.5 years and 50k+ miles. That's with about one or two wheelin trips per month, all rock crawling type stuff, and I wasn't nice to them either, and never ran a traction bar or anything.

But hey, all the webwheeling pros bash rusty's stuff, so I guess my experience is an outlier.
I cant say anything about their springs and such, but I can deffinatly talk about their track bars. Friend of mine was in a parking garage and broke his. In a parking garage. Not wheeling, just driving. The Jeep had never been wheeled, and everything was tightend to spec. The bracket just flat out broke. Im sorry, but I wouldnt trust anything that breaks like that. If you read about all the bad things that are happening with Rustys I wouldnt advise someone to go out and buy them unless they know what they are going to have to deal with.

Starboard M said:
I cant say anything about their springs and such, but I can deffinatly talk about their track bars. Friend of mine was in a parking garage and broke his. In a parking garage. Not wheeling, just driving. The Jeep had never been wheeled, and everything was tightend to spec. The bracket just flat out broke. Im sorry, but I wouldnt trust anything that breaks like that. If you read about all the bad things that are happening with Rustys I wouldnt advise someone to go out and buy them unless they know what they are going to have to deal with.

I was on the highway when mine decided to take a poop...never been wheeled or anything...It was then tightened and nicely coated in Loc-tite which still didn't stop it from becoming loose and scaring the crap out of me...
I hate it when people say its installer error or that I'm just talking shit about Rustys to be on the "hate rustys banwagon" The trac-bar has been repostioned a few times twice by someone in the know about cherokees and once by me (xj noob)...not any of these times has it stayed tight and worked the way it was supposed to...

Andrew

I am looking ot go with the RE 3.5 for my '94 XJ, what is the consensus on t-case drop vs SYE? I don't need to run larger than 31's anyways, and from what I have been reading, the RE 3.5 Superflex seems the best choice. Thoughts??

Jeff

little red cheroke said:
is a 2" shackle too tall?? its the rough country shackle with the setting for like 1.5" and 2". anybody els ever have any problems with this set up?

Keep in mind a shackle lifts the vehicle half of its increase in length. So, thats 4" longer than stock shackles (which is approx 3" long), so 1.5" is double in length, 2" is an inch longer than that.

Personally, I think a small lift shackle is a good thing on any rig with lift springs. The leafs are longer due to the increased arch, so when flexing those springs need the ability to move more. Some say it increases sag, but I have never seen that unless the springs were wasted to begin with.

I have MJ shackles (4" long/.5 lift) on my 98, and ran .5-.75 shackles on my yj. I dont have scientific proof, but the yj definittally flexed better and rode slightly better. Any longer and handling and approch angle suffered.

So ya those are a bit long.

Hey if you really want the RE springs go to ebay you should be able to get all 4 for around $400 just type in cherokee springs or xj springs.

Back