• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Viper Alarms

The module we carry is $150, and I'd expect $50 or more labor since wires need to be run into the drivers door. This isn't bad at all on an XJ, but lots of shops (ours included) base installs on a flat rate.

You will need to replace those switches on the rear doors and hatch, the sensor wire is tapped into the dome light trigger. XJs use a negative trigger, so a standard pin switch will work on the doors. The shop you are going to should have some lying around. The only difference may be thread size and wire connector (simple 1 wire hook up). I haven't messed with a hatch switch, but need to since mine doesn't work either. I believe it's in the latch inside the hatch.

Generally problems with alarms have more to do with who and how it was installed, more than the type and brand of alarm.Been installing for 15 yrs,clifford,viper(d.e.i. parent company),audiovox, and so on.These are all decent alarms.

Sean

TRAILREADYXJ said:
The module we carry is $150, and I'd expect $50 or more labor since wires need to be run into the drivers door. This isn't bad at all on an XJ, but lots of shops (ours included) base installs on a flat rate.

You will need to replace those switches on the rear doors and hatch, the sensor wire is tapped into the dome light trigger. XJs use a negative trigger, so a standard pin switch will work on the doors. The shop you are going to should have some lying around. The only difference may be thread size and wire connector (simple 1 wire hook up). I haven't messed with a hatch switch, but need to since mine doesn't work either. I believe it's in the latch inside the hatch.
Its not that the switched are broken, It is that they arent there. never had them the front door only trigger the domelights

ArcticCat843 said:
Its not that the switched are broken, It is that they arent there. never had them the front door only trigger the domelights

Interesting.... well you can install a standard switch and tie it in with the rest of the system fairly easy. There should still be a spot for one on the B pillar, just drill a hole, install the switch, and run a wire to the under dash light. Should be a yellow wire you need to tap into.

I have a Viper alarm. I had it installed (5?) years ago and haven't ever had an issue with it. Its perfect for what I wanted - shock sensor, starter kill, power door locks, blinking LED, etc. However, this one was NOT the top of the line as it did not include the remote start or other "proximity" sensors.

I am very happy with it and feel that along with my hidden fuel pump kill switch, the XJ is not going anywhere unless they take it on a flatbed trailer.

just wanted to thank everyone that posted for the advise.
I had my alarm instaled today. I already love it.
I ended up geting the791xv and they added a shock sensor above the headliner in the back because my back doors and hatch have no done light sensor.
everything works great but i need to get some w-40 on my drivers door lock because you have to hit the button 2-3 times to get it to fully unlock. I am very happy with how they put it in to (very clean work) They said that if someday i wanted to add the window roll down thing they would do it for $70 so maybe i will get it later

ArcticCat843 said:
I just installed a CompuStar system in mine, and also noticed that it only has the door pin on the front, not on the rear doors or the hatch. I have a 1994, does anyone know if they ever was a door pin for the rear doors and hatch for this year? If so, then I could get them from a salvage yard.

My 90 Laredo has them on all the doors and the hatch. IIRC the one in the hatch is a tilt switch, not a pin switch.

I'm not sure if they had them on all years, probably depends on the trim options.

You can always put in your own pin switch. They should have some where you got the alarm.

TRAILREADYXJ said:
My 90 Laredo has them on all the doors and the hatch. IIRC the one in the hatch is a tilt switch, not a pin switch.

I'm not sure if they had them on all years, probably depends on the trim options.

You can always put in your own pin switch. They should have some where you got the alarm.

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna make a stop at the salvage yard to get the pins from a Laredo.

I have a 99 which has the remote keyless entry and all that good stuff, complete power package..

But what I did was go and get a 79$ Bulldog security kit and wired it up myself in a half hour..

It has lock/unlock, hatch (useless), start for a desired amount of time in either tach or tachless mode, and then stop.
I love it, because it signals the parking lights (and my stock fog lights) to each selection I chose..
But it isnt an alarm....

I got a Valet alarm/remote starter (which is the same as Viper and Hornet and all of them, like same company) installed on my dad's truck for like 300, his truck is a 2002 or 03 Chevy Avalanche.. It's got a stock alarm which no Cherokee's have.. It's a pain.. It sets the alarm off a lot.

Back