• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very loud front-end clunk when turning

XJ AV8R said:
...and then tack weld it so it won't move anymore...if this is your problem, that is.
You're not helping me work on my Jeep buddy! Buy a new $3 bolt & Loctite it, if the track bar is your problem. You might want to remove your track bar without a grinder some day. The heat from welding won't do the bushing any good either. Make sure you use the original type flag nut also.:roflmao:

cherokee chuck said:
You're not helping me work on my Jeep buddy! Buy a new $3 bolt & Loctite it, if the track bar is your problem. You might want to remove your track bar without a grinder some day. The heat from welding won't do the bushing any good either. Make sure you use the original type flag nut also.:roflmao:

LOL! Ummm, don't weld the trackbar to the bracket....TACK weld the bracket to the axle so it doesn't shift. The little bolt just won't hold the bracket in place over time all by itself. Eventually it will start shifting around. The heat doesn't effect the bushing at all with a couple of well placed tack welds. I have done this on two trackbar relocation brackets after they started clunking around and it works great. 4wheelparts did it FOR me the first time. They said they did it all of the time with the relocation brackets. Good luck with the clunks...this might not even be your problem in the first place.

Last edited:
SpenceXJ said:
Okay, I see where the track bar meets the frame, but what part should I tighten, and how do I get to it?

Nevermind my suggestion, I just looked at the parts list for the 3" Pro Comp kit and there is no drop bracket at the frame end of the track bar. Sorry...

still baffled!

any more ideas?

Again.

It's the trackbar bracket on the frame. It's not a u-joint, and lifting the front end off the ground won't help find the source. You need everything loaded as it is when you're driving.

Have somebody turn the wheel back and forth slowly to FULL LOCK, as HARD AS THEY CAN, with the ignition off and watch the bottom-facing nuts on the trackbar bracket. Tighten them once you see where it's moving.

I have been having a similar problem on my stock 95' 2WD. I was thinking maybe it could be a worn tie rod end. Maybe somebody could confirm/shoot down this theory. (Too late for me though as I have already bought replacements, just haven't installed them so I can't confirm or deny... Yet...)
Sorry I'm no help, but I'm glad I'm not the only one scratching their head over a mystery pop...;)

vetteboy said:
Again.

It's the trackbar bracket on the frame. It's not a u-joint, and lifting the front end off the ground won't help find the source. You need everything loaded as it is when you're driving.

Have somebody turn the wheel back and forth slowly to FULL LOCK, as HARD AS THEY CAN, with the ignition off and watch the bottom-facing nuts on the trackbar bracket. Tighten them once you see where it's moving.
i'm with you.

2 18MM nuts in the drivers wheel well, 2 on the underside of the bracket above the trackbar itself

vetteboy said:
Again.

x3.

These guys know what they are talking about. You should do what they are suggesting.

Back