• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover gasket?

The ones I prefer are. Later ones are moulded from rubber (or something like it) as I recall.

I tend to prefer cork because it's what I learned on, and (if you do it right) a cork gasket will become soaked, swell up, and improve the seal. Rubber doesn't swell - so there's less "foregiveness" intrinsic in the work.

i just replaced one on my 2000 xj and it was metal with a rubber coating i got it from ac delco for 45-50 bucks somewhere in there. installed easy and no more leaks!

jonnyz123 said:
i just replaced one on my 2000 xj and it was metal with a rubber coating i got it from ac delco for 45-50 bucks somewhere in there. installed easy and no more leaks!

Thats alot!!! The last cork gasket I got was about $4.

Cork works fine. The problem is people tend to overtighten the bolts crushing the cork too much.

I use a thin film of RTV on mine. It helps ensure the seal and, even better, helps hold it in place while I put on the valve cover.

Back