• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 ZJ Tierod Upgrade

A little off topic. When people use the Goferit OTK inserts why do they only use one on the pass. side. Is it not needed for the driverside?

EvanH said:
A little off topic. When people use the Goferit OTK inserts why do they only use one on the pass. side. Is it not needed for the driverside?
The only way you can invert the drag link is to get one from a right hand drive XJ, then you can put the insert into the passenger side knuckle.

Going half like I did, is not perfect in any sense, it just gets the tie rod higher. Since I flipped it, I've never hit it again.

By the way, I'm at 5" of lift. If there is any binding, I have seen or felt it on the drag link. The joint is solid yet.

I do plan on installing the right hand drive drag link this year.

might be a stupid question... will a 98 grand cherokee setup bolt on to my 98 XJ? This thread made me check my tie rod, its bent to hell. Thanks

yes ... if it is a V8 grand, then it will be the larger setup we are talking about.

EvanH said:

I believe it is the other way around. You do the drivers side (if you have normal left side driver). It lifts the tie rod to almost level across the axle.

Raceghost said:
So does this part need to be an addon to the parts list below, or is it included?

1 #DS1312 long tie rod, its solid not hollow
1 #DS1238 drag link
2 #ES3096L short tie rod ends(1 by pitman, 1 by outer driver side)
2 #ES2079S adjustment sleeves

Yes it (DS1238) will be an upgrade for a 84-90 xj. The DS1238 is from a 91-01 XJ. Just a side note a (not on my list) DS1311 is for a v6 grand from 93-98, and a DS1310 is from a v8 grand from 93-98. The only diff I can see in the DS1311, DS1310 from the DS1238 is a slight bend(not much) at the sleeve end on the DS1311 and DS1310 and they are about 3/4" longer at the sleeve end then the DS1238 is. The distances between the TRE and the first hole(were the DS1312 mounts in) and from the first hole to the stabilizer hole are identicle on all three pieces. enjoy

mikegronholz said:
You'd think huh ? I just built it up on rockauto.com ... saved $3 on the sleeve and $5 each on the TREs over the above posted O'Reilly's off the street price (not counting any shipping costs). You can have O'Reilly's today by 6pm for $13 more and you also get "put in the puter" in case you need that lifetime warranty.

Damn... I wish I had an O'Reilly closer to me. The prices on Rock are pretty good compared to my local autozone/advance auto. Then again...I didnt check shipping so maybe that would kill it...

Good info here for the budget steering beef up! When I did mine, I couldnt find a thread or info all put together on parts numbers and all. Even though you can just go by year/make/model for a ZJ, its nice seeing the correct part numbers.

J.

I'd bet shipping is $20 or so ... the parts weigh about 10-15#. if you give Autozone the pn above, they will cross them to TRW. Anything but Duralast is ok for me :)

so im looking into doing this swap into my 89. Are the part numbers from this thread the moog part #s or just O'Reilly #s. Why i ask is because there is no o'reillys around here and i get a killer deal at napa having worked there. Can i use these part #s at napa?

AeroZeppelin said:
so im looking into doing this swap into my 89. Are the part numbers from this thread the moog part #s or just O'Reilly #s. Why i ask is because there is no o'reillys around here and i get a killer deal at napa having worked there. Can i use these part #s at napa?

they are MOOG #'s.

AeroZeppelin said:

The letters don't match, but the numbers should:
napa adjustment sleeves (5" for cherokee) mrces2079s or NCP 2691134
outer tie rod MRCES 3096
the long TRE's have different #s b/c cherokee has screw on tie rodends at both ends, GC has tie rod end and tie rod as one unit for right side.

Jeepxj13 said:
If I am just putting on the tie rod and new TRE's do I need to adjustment sleeves?

yep ... the sleeves fit the larger diameter bar and TREs

thanks man, and oes anyone know why on the left side of my sway bar the quicker release is going down at an angle and the right side is straight

Jeepxj13 said:
thanks man, and oes anyone know why on the left side of my sway bar the quicker release is going down at an angle and the right side is straight

You would need to post up a picture of it for a better diagnoses.

A quick guess would be that your swaybar bushings at the 'frame' mounts are worn out and your swaybar is freely moving from side to side.

Nevada City Sparky said:
So are the TREs the same for the V8 Tierods?

I replaced all mine on the stock TREs a while ago and would like to just swap them over.

The Draglink TRE's are the same, the ones from the drag link to the driver side spindle are not. Those are replaced with the ZJ ones. (this is assuming you are '91-'01 year XJ)

Back