• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using stock wiring harness to upgrade to power

CollinM said:
Yeah mine is the Pioneer so thats what I thought too, but I think I've looked just about everywhere for any extra wires, and couldnt find any. Anyone else suceeded at this?

Hey Collin,
I've succenssfully put in power mirrors, and pwoer locks in the front doors. If you need any help with, give me a shout. Wouldn't bother with power windows though to be honest.

If you have the wire harness and all the other parts, it is a job that will take you a day at least a day. It is a direct bolt in process. Just make sure you have Everything before you get rid of the donor. I did this and I love it. Dont forget about the power lock in the lift gate. Go for it.

I just checked the parts numbers 87 to 90 are compatable with each other 90 and 91 are not compatable. It still can be done. You will most likely needmore than just the wire harness. You will most likely need most of the plugs that the harness plugs into for the lift gate. when you cut them off make sure there is enough wire to let you do whatever you have to do to hook it all up. You could also take the harness out of the lift gate in the donor and trans plant that as well, that might make it easier in the long run.
I would still do it. Theres nothing like options

Last edited:
xray said:
If you have the wire harness and all the other parts, it is a job that will take you a day at least a day. It is a direct bolt in process. Just make sure you have Everything before you get rid of the donor. I did this and I love it. Dont forget about the power lock in the lift gate. Go for it.

I just checked the parts numbers 87 to 90 are compatable with each other 90 and 91 are not compatable. It still can be done. You will most likely needmore than just the wire harness. You will most likely need most of the plugs that the harness plugs into for the lift gate. when you cut them off make sure there is enough wire to let you do whatever you have to do to hook it all up. You could also take the harness out of the lift gate in the donor and trans plant that as well, that might make it easier in the long run.
I would still do it. Theres nothing like options

I really appreciate you telling me that, I'll get one from an 87-90 unit.

I am converting my manual locks to power and I have all the wiring completed and I have the locking cylinders. Does anyone know if I need any parts for the connection of the locking cylinder (round aluminum rod) to the locking mechanism? Thanks always for the help!

Everything is already on your door. Just did the same using 89 parts to 92 xj. As long as you get all harness and parts together, no problemo.

Back