• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper rear shock bolts broke

If you go the sliding new nuts in from the side route, you can drill a 1/4" hole in disk of sheet metal and carefuly glue the nut to it over the hole with some red lock-tite. the sheet metal will 1: Spread spread the force over a greater area, hopefuly avoiding stressing or cracking / splitting the sheet metal and 2: You could shape it to extend your reach to get the nut into place.

Ah, it makes sense now. Thanks for the pic. From the sound of the previous posts, I assumed the nutsert was behind the shell of the undercarriage sheetmetal body, but it's actually got a bracket that has limited access from two sides.

CJ's98XJ said:
By no means was I calling your work "hacking". If my nutserts ever decide to crap out, I'll happily put your ideas to work. Maybe you can come autograph it for me. Or maybe a Ghettocruiser "I hate nutserts!!" sticker.

Keep thinkin outside the box. It's always good to hear somone's ideas.

Haha I wasnt callin you out or takin offense to the "tearing up rig" thing. Ill happliy sign whatever you want. But it'll be $5 per shock bolt and "I Hate Nutserts!" stickers are $10 a piece :)

And youre right, there are some guys new to wrenching that might not know too much yet...but Im willing to be that even a newbie can knock a welded nut out of the way, then fish a new nut up with a wrench. Where as drilling and tapping out a hole might be more challenging for a new guy...not to mention trying to do it while upside down holding your arms over your head working in a crappy area... Just sayin...

New ideas are great! CJ's98XJ you also touched on an idea that I was thinking of too. Sort of like the lower track bar bolt nut, or the body side upper control arm mount... Almost like permanently attaching the wrench to the nut...but use sheet steel instead of the wrench, then the steel will spin til it hits and hold the nut while you tighten.

It would also be nice to bolt something into place, that stays up there, then when you want to remove the shock you unbolt it from the new part. Sort of like a bar pin eliminator... But so you dont have to unbolt those upper ones anymore.

So many solutions..so little time!

J.

Last edited:
Blaine B. said:
The shocks on my XJ were replaced sometime before I got it.......all of the bolts were snapped. They just drilled through the floor and put the bolts in through the top with the nuts on the bottom. No problemo!
That's hillarious AND that's exactly what I did. Broke 3 of 4 bolts and ruined a an ez-out trying to remove the first one. Said 'screw it' and drilled right through the floor. Thing is, the sway bar discos that came with my FT suspension I wasn't using anyway... turns out the top mounting thingies are the exact same thing as the 'upper shock conversion' that a lot of the vendors sell (although the length of the bolt is a little short). Like this if you can see it...
shock1.jpg

note how the top is mounted in above photo
shock2.jpg

right throught the floor. a slightly longer bolt would've been easier, but it works

Back