• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading to chromies on all 4 corners!

Wow how often are you guys breaking shafts? I been wheeling this jeep forbout a year now hitting some hard trails like John Bull Odessa Doran johnson valley tackhammer. And im pritty ruff on it. Mabey because I got a 5 speed and the clutch would slip before a shaft breaks? I have yet to break a shaft locked on 33s. Mabey im lucky, I already paid for the gears and setup for the d30, should I invest in better shafts if I go up to 35s?

I'm running 30 spline Chromo dana 30 shafts, with CTM's and 30 spline warn stubs. I've got a good truss (welded to the diff) and a good third member.

In the rear, I have the 35 spline dana 44 arb with off the shelf Alloy-USA axles (I'm sure others can get them, you don't need custom axles for the setup).

On 35" MT/R's, I pretty much wheel binary - on the gas or off of it. I haven't managed to break a shaft yet, front or rear, nor a ring and pinion. I know that my front ring gear will be the first thing to go - but I've been running this setup since 2006 at the hammers, the rubicon, and anywhere else I can find gas money to go - it hasn't broken yet.

That said, given what you have stated, I'd buy 27 spline Chromo front shafts - inners and outers, with CTM axle joints. In the rear, 1541h 8.8 shafts.

Keep all of your current stuff for spares, and wheel the snot out of it.

I'm running 30 spline Chromo dana 30 shafts, with CTM's and 30 spline warn stubs. I've got a good truss (welded to the diff) and a good third member.

In the rear, I have the 35 spline dana 44 arb with off the shelf Alloy-USA axles (I'm sure others can get them, you don't need custom axles for the setup).

On 35" MT/R's, I pretty much wheel binary - on the gas or off of it. I haven't managed to break a shaft yet, front or rear, nor a ring and pinion. I know that my front ring gear will be the first thing to go - but I've been running this setup since 2006 at the hammers, the rubicon, and anywhere else I can find gas money to go - it hasn't broken yet.

That said, given what you have stated, I'd buy 27 spline Chromo front shafts - inners and outers, with CTM axle joints. In the rear, 1541h 8.8 shafts.

Keep all of your current stuff for spares, and wheel the snot out of it.

I would love to see some pics on your d30 setup!!! Warn hubs, ctm's ???? How much money u got into that 30????
COMMON,,, we wanna see this 30 in action,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!

I would love to see some pics on your d30 setup!!! Warn hubs, ctm's ???? How much money u got into that 30????
COMMON,,, we wanna see this 30 in action,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!

I didn't bother posting pics, because the other boys and girls have all seen it before.

Pics of the housing build here:

http://www.shadowco.org/~cal/4x4/black-xj/D30/

Those were taken before I put the warn kit on, prior to that I was running alloy-usa 30 spline stubs and unit bearings.

As far as money.. I did a lot of bargain shopping.

Cal's Build Sheet said:
Dana 30
Housing taken to bare tube and sleeved in 3x.250" DOM
Trussed with 2x4 .250" by Overkill Fabrications
Custom axle bracketry (.188 and .250) by Overkill Fabrications
Inner C's rotated for 12 degrees pinion and 6 caster
Inner C gussets from T&J Performance
WJ knuckles with JKS spacer
WJ brakes
WJ ball joints
WJ style steering over the knuckle
JKS tie rod, 1.25x.375" with WJ ends
Custom draglink, 1.25x.288" with high misalignment 1 ton ends
Custom trackbar, 1.25x.250" with RE upper and 7/8" rod end lower, RE
bracket+brace
2" Superflex joints for axle UCA bushings
ARB air locker, 30 spline
Alloy-USA 30 spline 4130 inner shafts
Warn 5x5.5 30 spline hub kit
CTM u-joints
Precision 4.88 gears, Precision install kit
Alloy-USA tube seals
U-bolt yoke
Crane CrMo diff cover

Ive seen that axle before!

Anyone know of any companies that do financing on brand new rubicon axles sold fully assembled?? HP D44 front axle ONLY!!

i have some chromoly axles for my dana 30
are the 760x joints good enough with snaprings

So is there anyone here that is running the super 30 kit????

Yep......

PartNumber8619K431.jpg

But the only reason I got it was the price.........$900 for the super 30 kit plus 4.56 gears

Last edited:
When I saw the thread title, my first thought was Chrome valve stem cover caps. Those were the "chromies" that we used to put on our BMX bikes as kids.

I've got a full set of Yukon chromo shafts and Super Joints up front, no issues so far under reasonably hard wheeling.

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was Chrome valve stem cover caps. Those were the "chromies" that we used to put on our BMX bikes as kids.

I've got a full set of Yukon chromo shafts and Super Joints up front, no issues so far under reasonably hard wheeling.

i think i will want to break my old shafts, it might be very satisifing. so ill carry my chromo shafts as spares. i think "super joints" prabably a waste on a dana 30 or 44.
IMG_2028.jpg

I disagree about Super Joints being a "waste". The axle u-joints tend to be the first thing to break. Upgrading to stronger ones gives peace of mind and saves trail fixes.

Back