• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Exhaust.... what Muffler?

Best mufflers are Spin Techs. Everything else lacks. The new flowmasters do flow very well. The worst thing to put on is a glasspack. It's been proven the flow less than pretty much even the cheapest 'turbo' style muffler. Mostly due to turbulence.

Depends on the design, if you buy a glass pack that fits the stock pipe, make sure hte inner pipe is atleast the same size as the inlet and outlet and how the inner pipe is perforated. In some cases the Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers actually used a larger inner pipe and had the holes punched from the inside out. IIRC htere was a Turbo Dodge racer that tested a bunch of 3" mufflers and that one actually would flow better than a straight pipe!

i like how he went to a TINY muffler, then immediately threw on a glasspack before the muffler

That isn't a "glasspack" before the muffler.... if you read through the thread I mentioned that I was getting some resonance inside the cab.... to fix this I had a "resonator" installed, which has worked perfectly. The resonance is gone while leaving the exhaust tone only slightly quieter.

*** UPDATE ***

After I had the exhaust shop install the new 2.25" pipe from the header to the cat, I noticed a considerable loss is exhaust noise. While this may be acceptable for most people, I for one love a relatively loud BUT smooth exhaust tone. So I had a 12" resonator installed instead of the 18" that you see in the pictures. The 12" resonator has still keep the resonance down and has brought back the exhaust tone that I was after.

Supper happy with the current setup! Great sound and good performance.

Try and get a decent vid of it, I'm interested in this muffler.

I had to borrow a friends video camera for the first set of videos I posted in this thread... I will ask to borrow it again and re-shoot some vids with the new and improved setup, and try and improve their quality...

Back