• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Exhaust.... what Muffler?

My opinion is that FM40's do sound rice-ish. They sound best at idle but at part throttle drone like a ricer. I too have a dynomax and I like it a lot. Here's a good clip of what it sounds like inside and out. It's not NEARLY as loud as it comes across in the video and keep in mind I have no cats and a header which also brings the DB's up quite a bit but on a stock system or one with cats it's pretty quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-WaRNpxPE8

If not the dynomax then I'd have to agree w/norcalchris about the 10 series delta force. I've heard them on a few grand ams and they do wonders for the sound of those 6's and they hardly resonate on the inside.

Wow, 2 pages and not one person saying they like or have a magnaflow. I run a magnaflow and get compliments from my friends all the time. System is a 2.5" high flow car-sound cat feeding a 2.5" magnaflow muffler with a turndown before the axle. Sounds good but not too loud. I can get a clip of it if you're interested.

I have the Borla header&cat-back and my bro has the Borla header w/FM40 cat-back and I prefer the way mine sounds hands down. I don't know about FM's other series(as far as sound) but I feel Borla is superior in quality and design(which comes at a $). I like Magnaflow and Clifford products as well and would consider them before other brands.

silverslk said:
Wow, 2 pages and not one person saying they like or have a magnaflow. I run a magnaflow and get compliments from my friends all the time. System is a 2.5" high flow car-sound cat feeding a 2.5" magnaflow muffler with a turndown before the axle. Sounds good but not too loud. I can get a clip of it if you're interested.

I have never heard on thats why i didn't mention it :D

The thing I don't like about my FM40 is the resonance that has started a buzz somewhere in front of the steering column and destroyed two catalytic converters. You pay a price for all the extra noise: loose parts on your jeep become looser.

The sound is allright I guess. I see the similiarities at high rpms to a ricer, but it doesn't really -sound- like a ricer... make sense? It is fun being able to hear the engine though, I find myself gunning the engine more often like I'm on a motorcycel or jetski or something.

so it sounds like im the only one running a series 10 delata flow race muffler???

again look at its size.

_10_series.jpg

sounds great

flowmaster super 44 not as loud as the the 40 series but sounds great

I have been Private Messaging another forum user "norcalchris" about his use of the Flowmaster 10 Series Delta Force mufflers.... He has highly recommended them for not only their sound but their small size...

Does anyone else have this muffler? If so what are your impressions? Do you get a lot of resonance/reverberation in the cab? This muffler is only a One chamber style as opposed to the more common 2-3 chambers... I have read that the one chamber style tends to be louder.

I have my install on Tuesday... going in is a Gibson Exhaust header, high flow cat, 2.5" pipe throughout and the muffler Im leaning toward is this 10 series delta force.... I could always change my mind last minute if i have any doubts.

After my install on tuesday I plan to upload a few pics of the before and after... and my impressions with the new system....

Back