• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unibody Damage. Can This Be Fixed? Pics.

I'd say they'll probably write it off. The exact same thing happened to me last winter. I know its probably different down there but up here in BC, they said it was worth $2300 but they put a limit on what they would spend to fix it at $1800. With the frame bent like that they said it would cost $1400 without including what they couldn't see which could've easily put me over the $1800 at which point, it starts to come out of my pocket.

After discussing my options, they deemed it a rolling write off, so I could find another one and swap any non-stock parts over, then bring it back and get the $2300 for it. It worked well for me as I found another one with 100,000kms less on it for $1800 and I got to swap all my parts around.

My advice would be to not sign anything until you are 100% positive you know whats going on and make sure you find out all of your options. What Bobdog was describing above may be attractive to you as well.

anyone have any links to what can be done to repair this? i'd like to see whats people have done to make it beefier. next time someone hits my hitch i dont want it to budge. a shacle box with adjustable height would be cool too.

btw, the adjuster will be out either friday or monday. i intend to use some of the money to buy a better welder and some steel to fix the damage.

i want to the local auction yard to see some police jeeps that are going to be auctioned off on saturday. got all excited about it until i walked back out into the parking lot and saw my old friend, my cherokee that ive had for almost ten years now.

edit: maybe i should start a new thread for the repair.

Re: unibody damage. can this be fixed? pics inside.

Why does everyone worry about their plate # showing? 1000's see it everyday? Someone fill me in on this. :eye:

thats what i was thinking lol. its just a plate unless their paranoid and think someones going to be like oh i know you from NAXJA, imma go and say hi... lol

anyone have any links to what can be done to repair this? i'd like to see whats people have done to make it beefier. next time someone hits my hitch i dont want it to budge. a shacle box with adjustable height would be cool too.
Here is a great thread of what Bill is doing to fix his after the same thing happened to him.
Bill is definitely making things beefier.

Not what you wanted? I understand you've had it for a while, but it can be rebuilt. Unless you plan on doing some serious modifications, just build a new one.

btw, the adjuster will be out either friday or monday. i intend to use some of the money to buy a better welder and some steel to fix the damage.

i want to the local auction yard to see some police jeeps that are going to be auctioned off on saturday. got all excited about it until i walked back out into the parking lot and saw my old friend, my cherokee that ive had for almost ten years now.

edit: maybe i should start a new thread for the repair.

My guess to get the ball rolling is find a railroad spur no one uses on a weekend back across track....chain said jeep to track....place hdyro jack under hitch....pump like hell....straighten to the best u can....go home....remove hitch....open beers.....buy a rear bump w/ a hitch built in.
Voila done...more beer. get wheelbarrow to haul money to bank or 4X4 parts store......you know I'm right :sunshine:

That crossed my mind too but it involved a strong chain a tree and your right foot :D

wrap a chain to a tree high up, maybe 7 or 8 feet up the tree to get a good up angle to help the pull, then hook it to your hitch, then start jerking on the chain till it looks decent, then drive it while you plan your rear chop/tube/buggy cut

something worth mentioning if you reinforce the area where its bent now if you get hit again the damage will just move further forward probably where the rear axle is and than the body will tweek really do what you can to bend it back and be done with it. besides do ya really wanna weld that close to the gastank, and/or do ya really wanna pull the tank to fix that prob (i really dont know shit bout welding so im prolly out of line)

Meh, not really. The tank is a total pain... if it's full. If empty, takes maybe 10 minutes to drop. Don't even worry about loosening the j-bolts. Go to the stealer and buy new ones they're like $1.50 a piece. Cut the old ones, unplug the harness and lines, and the tank's out.

Now you can pull, bend, or weld away without worrying about explosions. Also, if you reinforce it, you would have to get hit again HARD in order to do more damage up further. And if you're getting nailed like that, your car is toast anyway.

chain to rr tacks...I wasn't jokin.....if u don't you will only watch the rear end come off the ground.....this works except the occasional prob with old tracks....you might pull the track never happened to me...heard stories .....u have to lock the XJ down for the jack to work....This will work if u have a big hydro jack!

Just like a frame machine......Honest.:twak:

From my experience the insurance company will total your XJ for the damage done. I work at a salvage auto repair dealership that my father owns, around here getting that damage fixed would cost you about $1000. If the insurance company totals the jeep I would take the cash and buy the XJ back from the insurance company and fix it myself. You should be able to buy it back for about $500.

i didn't sort through the entire thread... but here's a link you might be interested in:

Drivers_UnibodyRail_Damage.jpg

here's what happened to him... and here's what he's doing
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956040

i rebuild salvage cheerokees and when i get one hit like this in i tie it to a tree with a chain same height as the hitch would be disarm the airbag and start jerking on it. i have a frame machine but it is quicker and easier to use a tree

Back