• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Underseat pics

You may want to check on state laws where you would be traveling with the gun under the rear seat. I know that here in my state that is considered cocealed, but most police here would over look it since every rancher in the state has one under the seat or in the glove box. It might also be a good idea to get a CC permit. I've had one for years. The permit grants permission to carry in a lot of states, and it will keep you out of a world of trouble should you get the "is there a weapon in the car" question. Where you are in the service I would see about one from your home state since you will probably be living there again after you are discharged.

I've asked about transporting before, I've been told as long as its locked, unloaded, out of reach and I tell the officer about the gun if pulled over, I'm good. As for the permit, I am getting one as soon as I get back from this little underway I am on. Got the paperwork with me already. I plan on stopping and doing that before I even get to my house. For now, I'm just gonna get a Virginia CCP since I will be here for probably the next 5 years. In the mean time, when I go home on leave, my home state will recognize a Virginia permit.

Last edited:
I've asked about transporting before, I've been told as long as its locked, unloaded, out of reach and I tell the officer about the gun if pulled over, I'm good.

Check the laws in each state you plan to pass through, while that should be good enough if you travel through the wrong state that could really screw your day up.

For reference, transporting in California:
Longgun: Unloaded. From there whatever.
Handgun: Must be unloaded and carried in either a locked container that is *not* the glove box or in the locked trunk (if it's in the trunk it does not have to be in a locked container as that qualifies, doesn't do anything for us station wagon driers though). Many will caution you against carrying loaded magazines or having the loaded magazine in the same container as the pistol (but not inserted into it), this is just extra caution as there is no law stating this.

Doc: None of my long guns will ride under the back seat in the stock config. (I tried it out.) Conservatively, I would need to clearance the trans tunnel at least 2.5" to get a rifle down there. In my case, it would be more like 3-3.5" to add padding. In addition, IO would want a cradle on both sides, one to support the stock, and one to support the barrel. I'd also look at adding a hard bottom(plywood, etc) the the seat to prevent it flexing down and contacting the gun.

Beezil: getting harder to troll the crowd, isn't it?

Thanks tbburg, I will try fitting at least my AR under there when I get home in 2 days. If not I will probably just build a false floor and cover it in rubber matting to match the floor in the rest of the Jeep.

What about instead of building a false floor you build a false back? Maybe you could build a false back to the back of the seat so all you have to do is fold it down and open it up. Would be an easier option than trying to mod the center hump for a barrel and could hold 2/3 guns easily. Then could use the under seat area for holding the ammo.

What about instead of building a false floor you build a false back? Maybe you could build a false back to the back of the seat so all you have to do is fold it down and open it up. Would be an easier option than trying to mod the center hump for a barrel and could hold 2/3 guns easily. Then could use the under seat area for holding the ammo.

Thats a good idea, then I could keep my hi-lift under the seat also.

I was thinking of this today...

Something from my State:
In WI, with the new CC laws, having been passed, the rules of how you can transport weapons have changed drastically.

For example:
Guns in front or rear passenger area must not be concealed in any manner (a cased weapon is now considered "Concealed" weapon if in those areas) unless it is a pistol on your person. Essentially, guns in racks are legal, cases are not.

Thoughts that may apply:
Before building any hidden compartments in your Jeep, I would contact State DOJ folks in areas which you would consider traveling with weapons in these areas to make sure you would not be inadvertently breaking the law.

Just an idea. Rather than fixing up something to go below the rear seat, how about putting some type of lockable drawer system in the rear? Could be no more than 6 inches tall.

I suggest this because under the rear seat, a shotgun or rifle will not fit. I do not even believe the room is there if a long gun is broken down. Remember, there is a hump in the middle, and that hump cannot be removed.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ that gives a lot of the information you will need to know. Personally I wouldn't stick my rifles under there, simply, you got a fat friend sitting in back could damage it, sit on it for a few hour road trip COULD bend the barrel, and a bent rifle barrel, if you didn't know, is bad business. And being as you do transit to and from base, forget about that one time while we are conducting RAM (random anti-terrorism measures) like whats coming up in a few weeks, and your ass will be in the brig in no time, while a extensive investigation is done, have one person say your crazy... We had a cook on my last ship, got hit with a ram, had a sawed 12ga in the trunk, cut too short, best I know he's still in the brig. Now next month EVERY VEHICLE coming on to base WILL BE completely searched inside and out. They see that seat modified like that COULD be trouble. Remember Doc, "we are here to protect democracy, not practice it."

Last edited:
Beezil: getting harder to troll the crowd, isn't it?

Im disappointed at the poor performance exhibted by naxja gun owners in gun rights debates. This forum has a good percentage of gun owners and a low percentage of activists.

Shit, an overwhelming percentage of the gun-owning illinois mwc dont know the significance of hb148 or ever heard of it

Pathetic

Im just trying to check the pulse.

Guns are bad

Im disappointed at the poor performance exhibted by naxja gun owners in gun rights debates. This forum has a good percentage of gun owners and a low percentage of activists,..
..,I'm just trying to check the pulse.
'Not sure how many people on this forum are willing to even talk about guns on-line. I ran a poll back in '09 here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=865
Tellingly, of the 149 people who voted in the poll, over a hundred of them used one of the two "joke" answers. More tellingly, the poll got 149 votes,.. from over 1500 views.

I considered this: http://www.1evs.com/shop/Overhead-lock.html

Probably has to do with my familiarity with it on the job, but its pretty much out of sight for the average passer bye once its tucked up high against the roof line. Plus it would make you legal in most states because of the locking device. You could even hide a mini momentary button to deactivate the lock quickly in an emergency, rather than using a key.

If you are considering a roof mount look into Bigsky Gun Racks. I had one in a 67 GMC 3/4 ton that rode worse than my Jeep. I never had anything come loose and it was surprising how few people noticed a gun until they were actually siiting in the cab.

Im disappointed at the poor performance exhibted by naxja gun owners in gun rights debates. This forum has a good percentage of gun owners and a low percentage of activists.

Shit, an overwhelming percentage of the gun-owning illinois mwc dont know the significance of hb148 or ever heard of it

Pathetic

Im just trying to check the pulse.

Guns are bad

No I disagree...pathetic ignorant liberals are bad.

I've asked about transporting before, I've been told as long as its locked, unloaded, out of reach and I tell the officer about the gun if pulled over, I'm good. As for the permit, I am getting one as soon as I get back from this little underway I am on. Got the paperwork with me already. I plan on stopping and doing that before I even get to my house. For now, I'm just gonna get a Virginia CCP since I will be here for probably the next 5 years. In the mean time, when I go home on leave, my home state will recognize a Virginia permit.

You need to clarify what "locked" means. In Ohio, "locked" means inside a locked case (or a locked glove box or trunk, like was mentioned for other states), unless you're a CCW holder. In North Carolina, where I live but am not a resident, there is no "locked" requirement, but even a shotgun with a blanket over it is considered concealed, which you can only have if you have a CCW permit.

Being in the military and stationed in a state outside of your home of record does not qualify you for the residency required to obtain a CCW permit. I would check VA law specifically. If your home of record and your driver's license are from another state, I highly doubt VA will issue you a resident permit. Some states have non-resident permits (the current favorites are Florida, Utah and Pennsylvania because of their reciprocity agreements) but again, VA might not.

You might have to get a permit in your home state and if their coverage does not reciprocate with VA, you're not carrying while you're stationed there.

Last edited:
Back