• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Undecided on tire size for trails around the PNW

wrecked said:
One more tire to toss into the mix. The TRXUS. I see alot of people running the TRXUS tires on the road and judging by Interco's description they should do pretty well in the rocks. THe tread thickness is 21/32" where as the SX are 22/32". Of course the sx doesn't have quite the siping as the trxus so winter driving may not be as nice. How have people felt about the trxus in the NW mud, rocks, slick root ridden trails?

Thanks
-Kevin

Guess Ill add my .02 also.

I ran my 31's for quite a while. Great in mud, sand, rocks, dirt, ect... Never had them in the snow. But, on the Oktober Fest Evans run, I did puncture the sidewal in 2 different places. Only very slightly, but still happened. Still got them, should throw them on.

Now, the TSL's are about the same for traction, maybe even a bit better, but blow big time in the snow. They were suprisingly great on the last few snow runs up until reciently. YES, the hill was a lot more iced over at Evans than the previous 2 times in the snow, but they are definitly not the best 'all around' tire. They wear quick on the street, and not very good in the snow. Get them grooved and/or siped, and they should perform very well in all situations.

Hmm, this is quite interesting. I had planned on putting the 33" Trxus on my '98 dd/light wheeler in the near future. Now for the 3/4ton XJ I think I may still have a dencent chance at running the Trxus.
I know that I won't be able to tow for atleast a year maybe more. I was always worried about excessive tire wear when going on long trips with the Boggers on my last rig, however Being that the Trxus are decent for tire wear, I may have to pick up a set until I can tow my rig.
It looks like the tires for the 15" rims are 6 ply. I'm assuming most XJers are running the 15" rim size.
I have to run atleast a 16.5 to clear my big calipers. The 16.5 and 17" rims in the 35-38" flavor used a 10 ply rating.
At this point the trail rig it looks like the jeep should remain completely street legal(except the beadlocks) and be easily driven on the roads. I won't do it often, but somedays I may feel like it. So many options...

-Kevin

The problem with all the guys running small tires, is that when we are on a trail behind someone who is running small tires, we are stuck waiting for all the little rigs to finish beating their rigs through the trail, when we can just drive through the trail. I guarantee you can do more stuff with bigger tires, and go more places. I'd say nothing less than a 34" LTB, anything less is a street tire. Just my $.02

andersonsys said:
The problem with all the guys running small tires, is that when we are on a trail behind someone who is running small tires, we are stuck waiting for all the little rigs to finish beating their rigs through the trail, when we can just drive through the trail. I guarantee you can do more stuff with bigger tires, and go more places. I'd say nothing less than a 34" LTB, anything less is a street tire. Just my $.02

Thats one thing I want to avoid. I don't want to make every trail I go on a walk in the park. I want to be challenged. I want to have some tough stuff to get through.

-Kevin

wrecked said:
Thats one thing I want to avoid. I don't want to make every trail I go on a walk in the park. I want to be challenged. I want to have some tough stuff to get through.

-Kevin

The whole trail shouldn't be challenging, the trail should be fun, then there should be obstacles on the trail that should be challenging. We went up Sac-up yesterday, and there are obstacles that I could do with 39" tires, that no way could you have done with 33" tires. But there was even obstacles, that I just wouldn't do, cause worry of breakage. The trail took us about 2 hours. We went up it last weekend, and spent most of our time waiting for 2- 2dr's,and a 4dr that was getting hung up on everything. The trail took us 4 hours, with alot of bent and broken parts for the smaller rigs in the group. BTW, I have a couple smaller XJ's, it is not fun always taking the bypasses.

I have the 38.5" x 14.5" x 15" TSL SX's on my CJ, I don't think I'll ever run a different tire on that rig. The wide footprint and sidewall lugs make it hook up really well on everything, including snow at around 3 PSI. The CJ is a 90% trail, 10% street rig though. I wouldn't want to daily drive on the SX's.

I went with a set of 35" x 12.5" x 15" Goodyear MTR's for my XJ. I've wheeled with several guys with this tire, they love them in everything but really gumbo mud. Since my XJ is a daily driver, I wanted a tire that will handle the street well without a lot of noise or wandering problems, but still has durable sidewalls and a good tread pattern for most of what I'll do.

I should have the XJ up and running in wheelable form in another month or so, then I'll know for sure if I made the right choice.

andersonsys said:
The whole trail shouldn't be challenging, the trail should be fun, then there should be obstacles on the trail that should be challenging. We went up Sac-up yesterday, and there are obstacles that I could do with 39" tires, that no way could you have done with 33" tires. But there was even obstacles, that I just wouldn't do, cause worry of breakage. The trail took us about 2 hours. We went up it last weekend, and spent most of our time waiting for 2- 2dr's,and a 4dr that was getting hung up on everything. The trail took us 4 hours, with alot of bent and broken parts for the smaller rigs in the group. BTW, I have a couple smaller XJ's, it is not fun always taking the bypasses.

How do you spell overcompensation? There's not a single trail in the PNW that requires 39" tires. There's not a trail you can go that I can't with 33's. Learn how to drive, drop the insecurity, and you too can do 33's. I can't wait for tire regulations on the trails.

andersonsys said:
"How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

/sarcasm

mud1059 said:
How do you spell overcompensation? There's not a single trail in the PNW that requires 39" tires. There's not a trail you can go that I can't with 33's. Learn how to drive, drop the insecurity, and you too can do 33's. I can't wait for tire regulations on the trails.

I've had both TSL's and TrXus. I like the TrXus better, as I run my rigs on the street too. I have also punched holes in the sidewall of the TrXus unfortunately. How-some-ever, if you are doing any street driving I'd sure take the TrXus over the TSL's.

Regarding tire sizes..... You know I just get sooooo tired of sitting in my D9 Cat, waiting for all you dudes with the 48" tires to hack your way through a trail, when I can just cruise on through........... :)

On the serious side unfortunately the larger tires sizes coupled with thoughtless driving is what is causing all the push for trail tire size restrictions. And I'm afraid that is isn't a matter "if" rather than just "when" mud1059's trail tire size restrictions are going to happen.... if it's just tire size restrictions only. Too many trails getting closed down in the PNW.

I'm an old fart. My first jeep was a 1951 Willy's station wagon 4x4 (the original Cherokee). Got that in 1958. Had jeeps throughout my whole life. I look at a lot of the other old farts. One thing is noticable, not very many at all run anything more than 33/35's. With 35's, skid plates, and a good hydraulic winch there isn't much you can't do in this PNW. Granted you won't just putt through everything, but then if all you are trying to to is just putt through, then why bother to go 4x4ing?

edit: And I'm just talking the trails in this state where people are supposed to be driving street legal vehicles, not talking about mud bog or rock crawling events where non-licensed vehicles are used to compete.

Last edited:
sams88 said:
I'm an old fart. My first jeep was a 1951 Willy's station wagon 4x4 (the original Cherokee). Got that in 1958. Had jeeps throughout my whole life. I look at a lot of the other old farts. One thing is noticable, not very many at all run anything more than 33/35's. With 35's, skid plates, and a good hydraulic winch there isn't much you can't do in this PNW. Granted you won't just putt through everything, but then if all you are trying to to is just putt through, then why bother to go 4x4ing?

Bloody AMEN.

There was once a time, when I was emerging into this hobby, where the old fellas would invite you to park your rig at their place or the trailhead and invite you along. New guys would listen and not try to be so overzealous about getting their street-tired rig on the trail. Want to go along on the snow run? Nothing smaller than 33s...and the biggest thing out there was 35s. "The guys on this run are very experienced, so why don't you sit this one out with your rig? We'll go another time when there's not so many people wanting to run fast." You rode along and learned something. Every so often, if conditions were right, you'd have a guy invite you and a couple of buddies up Lake Isabel with 30" ATs and a BB lift...and you made it because you had ridden along a few times before. You knew where the obstacles were and you were motivated along with positive encouragement. You made it up and down in less than 3 hours and nobody broke anything. You finessed your pedal and got your rig over after listening to the experienced guys telling you how to do it. You didn't pour money into your rig just to run beginner trails. You watched in awe as the guys with the BIG 33s climbed through Expressway at Walker while you waited. There wasn't any bitching, because you knew your time would come. The only guys you knew with 35s were competing in ARCA and needed them for the bigger rocks. You listened when they told you to put a front locker in first so it would help you over obstacles with finesse, not a heavy right foot. You didn't break shafts on intermediate trails (and some advanced ones!) because you were careful...but still got through with enough speed that nobody got bored. Anyone with bigger tires was looked upon with a raised eyebrow and a shake of the head...because you knew they were trying to compensate for something.

Now all it seems is that lifts are cheap and everyone makes them, so bigger is better. Call me old-fashioned, but I still advocate staying off trails you're ill-equipped for and learning your vehicle in small stages. Yeah, I'm in the business to make money off of guys wanting to pour $5000 into $500 Jeeps...but it doesn't come without a bit of advice. I've had a couple of guys come in for the really big stuff, only to leave with something small and practical for what they're actually going to do. You can't slap 35s on and expect your rig to perform like the guy you saw last weekend. Chances are he's been doing it for a while and eventually got to where he's at by experience. That TV show where they were building up the Jeep? Sponsored by the lift manufacturer and tire supplier to separate you from your money. These 'elitist' runs that some folks go on were done by a bunch of us years ago when we were on the little tires and minor equipment. Some trails were harder, some easier than now. Fact of the matter is that we didn't get the whiners and we didn't attempt stuff beyond our skill levels. Elitists were just assholes and we ignored 'em. If a guy wants to vent about having the biggest tires on the block, let him. I'll go somewhere else that day. Donk with a fullsize truck on 44s comes into the store and talks about ripping it up at Reiter, do you think I give a purple rat's flying fawk if there's a tire size restriction looming in the distance? Not really. Do I think there SHOULD be a tire size limitation? Nope, I think people need to learn how to farking drive and get off their high horses. None of this stuff should be implemented, it should be taught and followed willingly. ;)

IMHO, of course. :compwork:

Damnit, I sound like an old man. 30 is hovering over my head, promising to arrive on Friday. :D

If they make tire restrictions, I will get on the other side of the fence, and help vote for anti-offorading throughout Wa. If can't wheel, I'll do everything in my power so the little worthless small rigs can't either. Once that passes, I will move.

Doesn't it sound stupid to hope for some group to not be able to wheel, I am just saying that the larger tires put less damage to our rigs. I haven't dented, or dinged my jeep in a long time, which has mostly to do with experience, but from being further up from the things that damage the vehicle. A tree will dent anything, but is less harsh on the rig than the rocks that sit on the ground. It is better on everything when you aren't puncturing your oil pan, axle housing, transmission, leaving metal debris, dragging a broken little rig off the trail, you name it, it is better when the rig is capable and well built. 99% of the time the rigs with the small tires, are using stock parts, or parts that are not strong enough for heavy trail driving. I know I wouldn't trust my RE kit for the type of wheeling that I do in my YJ.

I am not going to argue anymore about this, why even lift your rig, or put any bigger tires on it than stock, there is not much more you can do with 33's than I can do with a stock rig. Save your money.

andersonsys said:
If they make tire restrictions, I will get on the other side of the fence, and help vote for anti-offorading throughout Wa. If can't wheel, I'll do everything in my power so the little worthless small rigs can't either. Once that passes, I will move.

Holy shit. That's about the most stupid fawking thing I've seen typed out in a LONG time.

mud1059 said:
Bwahahahahahaa...etc

Alrighty...I wouldn't go that far, Paul. ;) I make a point to meet someone in person before judging their mental capacity. :gag: It also opens the door for retaliation, which leads to moved threads, etc. :rtm:

We've got a really convincing group of guys here. I think I'm going to sell my axles and pick up a set of waggy 44's.

My original plans for this jeep were waggy 44's, 36's, lockers front and rear and leaf sprung front and rear. Something that was similar to my last rig(fullwidth 44/9", 35" boggers, spooled rear). Rig went every where I wanted it to. Picked up a little body damage and 2 broken hubs but thats all.
I got the rear 60 for super cheap and figured I should use it. I'm glad I didnt start cleaning it up. I got a bit carried away in my plans.

Old rig:
angler.jpg

cruncheddoor.jpg

xjrock2.jpg

xjrock1.jpg

Boy do I ever miss wheelin that thing. I think my girlfriend wishes I still had it even more than I do though.

Just for kicks. The video isn't so great, but it was a fun time. First time out at Browns with the Boggers. I know.. I didn't take the big rocks, but I was getting used to the way the wide tires handled.

So now its time to get the new build underway. I feel like things will go ALOT fast now.
The rig to be. My first XJ, my girlfriends first XJ and now its mine again.
jeepies4.jpg

I have a set of 36's left over from my the blue XJ that I can use for a while. I'll need to sell these 3/4tons and find a set of Waggy's and then I can get to work. THe rear suspension is squred away, I have the RE4.5" leafs left over and a 1.5" shackle, but I think that I may drop the lift shackle and keep it at 4.5. I'll have to get on it and order some DOM and joints for my links and that should get things going well. Looks like a 35" TrXus will be the tire of choice still as well.

Haha, no more questions.

Chevy 44 knuckles are Waggy 44 compatible right? I think that I want to do a highsteer setup like on my old rig again I'll definitely want to go high steer again.

One more...
I ran 4.88's on the old jeep. I liked it for the most part but sometimes wished there was a little more there. Are 5.38's going to be too low for street/everyday driving?

Thanks for the help guys.

-Kevin

-Kevin

Thanks for changing the subject Kevin. Horrible timing, about 2 1/2 hrs late! but thanks :) I think we can all appreciate the 44 combo. Good luck with the buildup and keep us updated on the build. If I remember right, Longview is kinda known for their car thefts. Maybe incorporate a fuel or ignition cut off before your rig looks too tempting. Just an idea.

andersonsys said:
We went up Sac-up yesterday, and there are obstacles that I could do with 39" tires, that no way could you have done with 33" tires.

I've done every obstacle on Sac-up with my 33x10.5 TSLs, there are only two obstacles on Sac-up that I ever by-pass, and only then when it's really muddy. (Goal posts and that nasty little section at the end) You’d be surprised what can be done on 33" tires if the driver knows what he's doing. Not that I have any clue what I'm doing, but a skilled driver on 33s can go places an un-skilled driver on 40s can’t.

andersonsys said:
there is not much more you can do with 33's than I can do with a stock rig. Save your money.

Do you actually believe this shit? Sure stock XJ's can do alot, but to say they are just as capable as one with lift and 33" tires is just plain ignorant.

Nice job FiFo! Kevin went though all that hard work to change the subject including pictures and you have to go and try to make sense again. Stop that.:twak: Know your role!:)

mud1059 said:
Thanks for changing the subject Kevin. Horrible timing, about 2 1/2 hrs late! but thanks :) I think we can all appreciate the 44 combo. Good luck with the buildup and keep us updated on the build. If I remember right, Longview is kinda known for their car thefts. Maybe incorporate a fuel or ignition cut off before your rig looks too tempting. Just an idea.

Haha, I thought the thread was getting a bit rough.

Anyway, as far as longview and theft goes. I say you hit the nail right on the head. It sucks living here. I had one of my XJ's broken into 2 times in 1 week. Got the guys licenseplate number, phone number, name, address, face on video(my shops got alot of cameras) and proof that the items stolen out of my jeep were mine. Cops wouldnt do a single thing about it. I wasn't too upset that my window got broken, it was the fact that the guy stole my school stuff. It was the last semester of a year long Chemistry 151 class at the college and all my stuff was gone. I failed the class. That sucked.

My girlfriend owned the 2dr that I'm building up when it got broken into. She was really upset and thought the guy might come back, so she sold me the 2dr and bought herself a '95 ZJ 3 days later. It worked out, but this is what I get out of the deal.

Meth heads around here punch holes in the door, steal the radio, leave the CD's, money, and other stuff in the rig though. And they leave their tools in the rig too.
jeepies6.jpg

Wiring mess.
jeepies7.jpg

I'm most certianly going to be looking for a good way to prevent the vehicle from being stolen. Fuel shut off sounds like it would be a good idea. I think I'll probably cut some aluminum sheet metal to block off access to the wires under the dash.
I had already planned on putting a plate over where the CD player should go. I think the AWShifting unit light indicators would go good there along with switches for the underbody rock lights. The bench seat in the rear is going to be removed and replaced with 2 bench seats instead with a locking center console for storage of shafts, winching/recovery gear, and what not.

I've got big plans for lots of neat little ideas with the jeep. I need to get a move on the build though.

-Kevin

Back