• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Undecided on tire size for trails around the PNW

sarcasm guys, he was making a point.

he is saying that since you guys are hoping he won't be able to wheel soon, he will do the same for you...isn't that a crazy thing to do? Aren't we supposed to be united? Honestly I have seen rigs with larger tires on the obstacles I have run, they do less damage than some of the smaller tire rigs because they never spin a tire. I would think that it was very boring to not have to pick a line, but It's the little rigs running no lockers digging holes in front of every rock ledge that do so much harm.

Example: group wheeling and our group was going to run level 3's. A toyota tacoma decides he wants to come too, completely stock. The trail leader says "do you have any lockers" the guy replies "I have done these trails dozens of times, I don't need no lockers for this" So there we were crawling up the hills gently and sitting at the top waiting for this jackass to make his full throttle runs slinging rocks everywhere and smoking tires whenever he'd get stuck It was downright dangerous and destructive.

Read someones point, not just the first sentence before calling someone a tard.

I see his point in all of his posts, and I see yours. I agree wholeheartedly with the old man theory. I also agree that people with tires too small for the terrain help to screw it up and hold up the whole trail ride as they do so. His posts are written in a manner that excites people, but don't lose the good in the message he's trying to relate just because he likes to jerk your chain.

Driver ability is where it's at. Jackasses tear up terrain wether their tires are too large, too small or just right.

I don’t want any regs on tire size. My feeling is once they start regulating there not going to stop. First it will be tire size, then cage requirements, so on and so forth, next thing you know you won’t be allowed on the trail unless you meet a cookie cutter requirement which no one can meet. The amount of users will go down and then the trails will close.

Besides, people with big tires, and a lot of throttle, dig the wholes deeper and make the ruts bigger, making it more fun for those of use with little tires. :)

I've found that on the trails that are "easy" or rated that way, the folks with smaller tires and stockish rigs go in there and really tear things up. Thus the easy trails get harder due to misuse and no repair.

And for the record, a 33 to 35 inch tire is just FINE for everything in the PNW.

goodburbon said:
I see his point in all of his posts...
The point that I got out of it is that he thinks it requires huge tires to be a "real" wheeler and everyone else is just in his way.

We all agree that people who tear up trails are dumbasses and shouldn't be out there. However, I don't think it's an issue of tire size, but traction. I'd rather have a guy running 31" tires and locked than a guy in 38" tires open. I'd rather spend money on axles and gears than bigger tires.

I don't want to see tire restrictions on trails around here, but I sure would enjoy seeing guys running 38" Boggers take more care on the trails; they're the ones I see digging the huge holes that make it impossible for people running 31's to make it, not the other way around.

The recent rescue operation at Elbe is still fresh in my mind. The guys on 33's got out eventually, the guy running OPEN axles and 38's did a huge amount of damage to his truck and the trail, and was finally excavated a week later.

I guess I "see the point" anderson was making, I just think it's inaccurate and wrong.

-----Matt-----

Kevin,

I think you have a great plan for your truck and I think you will be very happy with it!!

Tire size, lockers, lift height, have NOTHING to do with damaging the trail!!!!!!

The DRIVER and his experience or lack of experience has everything to do with if and how a truck can tackle an obstacle. Wheels don't spin because you are unlocked!! And they don't stop spinning because you are locked!!
They are controlled by the DRIVER, and his experience will provide what it takes to tackle the trail.

Michael

Hmm. I'm almost scared to wheel with you guys now. I know I dont have ALOT of experience wheeling. I've really only gotten 2 years or so of real wheeling under my belt really and in that 2 years not alot of stuff got done. I've always been a big supporter of the tread lightly phrase whether I'm on my mountain bike, dirt bike or jeep. I'm not one of those kids that likes to give her gas till she makes it. If I can't crawl it after the first 3 attempts, I'll back off and choose another line. I think I just need to get going on my jeep and make it out on some runs this summer.

-Kevin

Kevin,
I hope you realize that only the first line of my last post was directed toward you!!

The rest was directed toward the "off topic" conversation that is going on between larger and smaller tires, Lockers, Damage, etc.
Michael

wrecked said:
Hmm. I'm almost scared to wheel with you guys now. I know I dont have ALOT of experience wheeling. I've really only gotten 2 years or so of real wheeling under my belt really and in that 2 years not alot of stuff got done. I've always been a big supporter of the tread lightly phrase whether I'm on my mountain bike, dirt bike or jeep. I'm not one of those kids that likes to give her gas till she makes it. If I can't crawl it after the first 3 attempts, I'll back off and choose another line. I think I just need to get going on my jeep and make it out on some runs this summer.

-Kevin

You'd be find, heck it sounds like you wheel gentler then I do.

FiFo said:
You'd be find, heck it sounds like you wheel gentler then I do.

EVERYONE wheels gentler than you do.

And for the record, at ORV areas, it's okay to make a few tries at an obstacle. 3 tries and then winch/bypass.

Obstacles are there to challenge you, there are some weekends, when I wheel two or three days in a row on the same trail. One day I can spank the obstacles, and the very next day, I get denied. If you aren't challenging yourself, there is no reason to build your rig any bigger.

2xtreme said:
Kevin,
I hope you realize that only the first line of my last post was directed toward you!!

The rest was directed toward the "off topic" conversation that is going on between larger and smaller tires, Lockers, Damage, etc.
Michael

Yeah, I caught on to that.

As for the challengin myself, thats pretty much my reason for not going further with the 44/60 swap. I know alot of the trails around here wouldn't be as challenging if I built it up based on those axles.

-Kevin

Back