• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tweeter Location

since they made right and left hand drive xj's i thought of picking up some a-pillar gauge pods, maybe a single or double pod for both sides. Put some relly nice, small tweets in there.

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind.

The higher the frequency, the more directional/culminated the sound is.

A sub-woofer you can put anywhere in the vehicle pointing in any direction, and it will sound the same as any other spot in the vehicle.

The tweeter, you have to point as close to possible at your ear or the sound will be diminished.

The sail is probably a good spot, and thats why a lot of the universal mounts for aftermarket tweeters have an adjustable base, so you can adjust/tilt the tweeter at the head of the passengers.

On the top of the dash may work well also, because the sound is culminated enough that you can bounce it off the windshield toward the head of the passengers. Adjust your angles like trying to do rebound shot in pool.

Under the dash? I know some people have done that for CB speakers or even some cheap mid-range speakers, where the sound is so bad out of the speaker to begin with, it doesn't really make a difference mounting in a bad spot. Tweeters, with highly directional/culminated sound, its going at your feet and not your head and the sound will suffer greatly.

camarors8992 said:
There isn't much clearance, they could hit the dash IIRC.

Hmmm... I'll have to take a closer look. The tweeters I'm using are tiny Memphis Audio ones about 1-1/4" dia. I think there only about 1/2" tall, so can't see where the clearance issue will be drilling out a sail and mounting. Of course, I'm going to sacrafice power/interior-adjustable mirrors to get 'em in, but that's a small price to pay and I already ripped my interior-adjustable mirrors off enough times on bushes and trees that I need to replace them anyway. Manuals will do.

Rick Anderson said:
Under the dash? I know some people have done that for CB speakers or even some cheap mid-range speakers, where the sound is so bad out of the speaker to begin with, it doesn't really make a difference mounting in a bad spot. Tweeters, with highly directional/culminated sound, its going at your feet and not your head and the sound will suffer greatly.

x2.

the sound will not bounce off the carpet, it will dissapate the sound waves and greatly reduce the volume and sound quality. i put a pair of silk dome tweets in the overhead console of a super duty pickup, and they sound great. they even look factory. i think that might be a good place to mount them in an XJ. as soon as i find a console for mine im planning on it.

-mike

If you can find these at the dealership the list price is $139.00 each. I have a set that is for sale, PM me for more details. They have some MB Quart tweeters instead of the factory tweeters. Most 1997 to 2001 XJ's are wired for these already so it's plug and play.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

What about here in the red/blue spot? any one have any opinions to putting some tweeters here?
06_Jeep_SRT8_18.jpg

Nevada City Sparky said:
Hmmm... I'll have to take a closer look. The tweeters I'm using are tiny Memphis Audio ones about 1-1/4" dia. I think there only about 1/2" tall, so can't see where the clearance issue will be drilling out a sail and mounting. Of course, I'm going to sacrafice power/interior-adjustable mirrors to get 'em in, but that's a small price to pay and I already ripped my interior-adjustable mirrors off enough times on bushes and trees that I need to replace them anyway. Manuals will do.
Not to bust you bubble. but if you have a 97+ then power mirrors are standard. There was never a manual mirror for them even in the SE.

selarep said:
What about here in the red/blue spot? any one have any opinions to putting some tweeters here?
06_Jeep_SRT8_18.jpg

i thought about that as well, but there isnt much room back there on the 97 and newer. if you were to cut some of the metal out of the A post maybe , but i would not advise doing that. you could surface mount them though. i would suggest hooking them up with an excess of about 4 ft of wire but not mounting them. then you could use some velcro or double sided tape to move them to different locations that way you can find what position sounds best to you. then mount them.

scoobyxj said:
Not to bust you bubble. but if you have a 97+ then power mirrors are standard. There was never a manual mirror for them even in the SE.

Then why is it in my 97 XJ 2 door, I have manual mirrors???

Tim_MN said:
If you can find these at the dealership the list price is $139.00 each. I have a set that is for sale, PM me for more details. They have some MB Quart tweeters instead of the factory tweeters. Most 1997 to 2001 XJ's are wired for these already so it's plug and play.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Factory tweeters are probably junk, MB Quart isn't much better. I'm putting Morel audio stuff in... I just need the trim piece. $139 is pretty steep.

Oh an the whole pre-wired thing. If you're serious about putting high quality speakers in you wouldn't be using the factory speaker wiring.

Thanks anyways though.

whats morel audio? compaired to Memphis, are they any good?

you know i have played with many a sound systems. i always install my own and my pals aswell. i have spent fortunes on speaks, amps, wires. bought the good and the bad. made trades for trades. but i will have to say that the best 30 bucks was for a set of 5x7 "lightning audio" speakers from wally world. 225 watts and before they started shipping them to the wal-man in brown boxes they used to put th shipping labels on the package. they are made by rockford fosgate. VERY VERY F-ING IMPRESIVE

MountainRhino said:
you know i have played with many a sound systems. i always install my own and my pals aswell. i have spent fortunes on speaks, amps, wires. bought the good and the bad. made trades for trades. but i will have to say that the best 30 bucks was for a set of 5x7 "lightning audio" speakers from wally world. 225 watts and before they started shipping them to the wal-man in brown boxes they used to put th shipping labels on the package. they are made by rockford fosgate. VERY VERY F-ING IMPRESIVE

:laugh2: Rigghhhtt.

225watt speakers from walmart. $30, I'm sure they were just awesome.

selarep said:
Then why is it in my 97 XJ 2 door, I have manual mirrors???
But it doesn't have the inside adjustment handle on the sail panel right? Or does it?? :confused:
From what I understand, the very few 97+ XJs with manual mirrors (I've never seen one myself) had to be adjusted by hand by pushing on the mirror itself to pivot it into the correct position being that there was no remote interior handle like the pre97s had.

dlarrivee said:
Factory tweeters are probably junk, MB Quart isn't much better. I'm putting Morel audio stuff in...

Oh an the whole pre-wired thing. If you're serious about putting high quality speakers in you wouldn't be using the factory speaker wiring.
If you're serious about high dollar quality audio in general, a lifted XJ with big noisy surround sound mud tires isn't the place for the said audio system to begin with. All the dynamat in the world isn't gonna quite 4 35's on a unibody XJ.

JEEPZZ said:
If you're serious about high dollar quality audio in general, a lifted XJ with big noisy surround sound mud tires isn't the place for the said audio system to begin with. All the dynamat in the world isn't gonna quite 4 35's on a unibody XJ.

I have 2 XJs. One is basically stock. The other is my trail rig.

Roadtrips on 35" tires just aren't practical.

dlarrivee said:
:laugh2: Rigghhhtt.
225watt speakers from walmart. $30, I'm sure they were just awesome.
Now he did say, for $30 they were awesome. Lets NOT forget the OEM 5.25" speakers would go for $3.95 at Walmart. Its a relative thing here.

I know opinions will vary on this also, but a good $175 head unit and $40 speakers of appropraite size on the factory wiring can be a world better than the OEM system. Granted its NOT some super stereo, but a fair setup for some better music that is a big improvement over most of the OEM stereos.

I know there are purist out there that will disagree, but if your using a 45Watt Amp from the Head Unit, do you really need bigger gauge aftermarket speaker wire? The factory wire is NOT going to degrade the sound in anyway that someone can notice and you can avoid the cost and especially the effort of running all new speaker wire.

Rick Anderson said:
Now he did say, for $30 they were awesome. Lets NOT forget the OEM 5.25" speakers would go for $3.95 at Walmart. Its a relative thing here.

I know opinions will vary on this also, but a good $175 head unit and $40 speakers of appropraite size on the factory wiring can be a world better than the OEM system. Granted its NOT some super stereo, but a fair setup for some better music that is a big improvement over most of the OEM stereos.

I know there are purist out there that will disagree, but if your using a 45Watt Amp from the Head Unit, do you really need bigger gauge aftermarket speaker wire? The factory wire is NOT going to degrade the sound in anyway that someone can notice and you can avoid the cost and especially the effort of running all new speaker wire.

Well you'll have a hard time finding a decent head unit for $175 that actually puts out 45W from it's internal amp...

Back