• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo questions

Sweet that does make it easier, I just dont want to spend more than the jeep on tuning it so it is a draw point.

I plan on doing it right so this may take a long time to build.

Take your time. Every project I have seen rushed has ended with poor results and unhappy people. Not a very pretty picture that...

Cost wise, none of this is cheap. That is the commitment you make when you start to chase horsepower. IMO, the biggest benefit to Forced Induction (FI), be it via Supercharger or Turbocharger, is that it can be accomplished with the engine in the bay.

All you need is a healthy engine to start with, time and bucks... Soldering skills and basic mechanical skills are required. This is a project the average hobbyist can perform in his garage.

So, you might want to do a set of tests to determine the state of health that your engine is enjoying at this point. Verify your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, verify the state of the rings with a compression test. If possible, do a leak down test. Personally, I like to temporarily install a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold and watch it at idle. You can get clues about the valves from that "old school" method.

Down the road, you may want to consider a larger Throttle Body. I am running a 68mm F&B Throttle Body and the difference it made was like comparing night to day.

I also recommend 2.5" exhaust all the way to the back of the Heep. I run a Heartthrob cat back with the turbo muffler. Not too loud and it has reduced back pressure. Keep in mind that you are essentially increasing the displacement of the engine. Larger components will be needed to handle the additional flows.

If you are completely new to this, I also recommend that you get a book or two on FI so that you have a better understanding of what is really going on in the engine. Same thing applies to reference manuals for fuel injection tuning.

Arm yourself and go do battle!!!

Most of all, have fun doing the project.

Back