• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo charged 4.0 xj

HPIM0059.JPG

HPIM0060.JPG

HPIM0062.JPG

HPIM0064.JPG

HPIM0065.JPG

HPIM0066.JPG

HPIM0072.JPG

HPIM0075.JPG

HPIM0077.JPG

HPIM0078.JPG

HPIM0079.JPG

I'm still intrigued with the idea of running a single turbo on my XJ, it would help if I ended up doing a little towing with it.

mtbkr posted
I built a turbo kit for my xj a while back and I took it off last summerI ran 7psi the horse power gain is there but parking a turbo under the intake makes way to much heat and it suffers for it in the summer I ran without an intercooler and that was a mistake you dont get unuff air flow to keep the turbo cool and the charge air will easly see over 200 deg Intercooler or sprayer system is a must I was seeing heat in such excess under the hood that I melted my clutch line from 5in away and I insulated everything that was near the turbo also had my fuel line unmold itself from the steel tubing too much heat.
I know with my car I was really suprised at how much hotter it was in the engine compartment, and I have an air to air front mount. So I think increased is an inevitability, but wrap would help right? I bought some wrap but have not messed with yet. I also bought a turbo cover too which are not big bux at Jegs/Summit.

I also see in various DIY turbo threads on various boards that folks use everything from Eclipse to Volvo intercoolers to save money.

What are your thoughts Teal, do you think fitting in an intercooler is difficult? How about a Ford Lightning style one?

im putting an srt4 intercooler in the front bumper. my bumper is going to be a stock one, w/ welded on end caps, and 3" taller. then w/ the srt4 hole and cross cut into it.

as far as wrap, header wrap is probably the worst product made. it destroys what ever its put on in a very short amount of time. everything that you want to keep cool, ceramic coat, from the turbine housing and down pipe, manifold, and possibly the intake to keep heat OUT, but i havent looked in to if it will be a help or hurt yet.

...Because the wrapped pipes rust super fast? That's what I have read.

I'm thinking an intercooler and worst case some hood vents would make a big difference. I'd add some hood vents to my car hood except that it would look crappy given the curved lines of the hood.

I might have missed it, but how will you have the fuel pressure increase with boost, a map sensor tied into something? Are you still pursuing Megasquirt?

Thats an odd location...must be a lot of exhaust routing if its a turbo. And I dont see a belt so its not gonna be centrifugal.

BBeach said:
Thats an odd location...must be a lot of exhaust routing if its a turbo. And I dont see a belt so its not gonna be centrifugal.

its the crap o matic 505 performance kit. uses 3/4 of the stock exhaust. by the time the exhaust gets to the turbo its prolly 100 deg, im surprised you even need a wastegate for the 6psi that kit pushes..... freaking junk

I was looking for places to mount an intercooler also. Theres an below radiator and fans, directly behind bumper. Its about 17" across between power steering and frame, aout 6" high, and 4" deep. The sheet metal between the bumper and this area could be cut I assume, or maybe left alone since its has big holes in it. The bumper could have a hole cut in it in the middle, like 18" long, and some mesh put across it. It has room to route plumbing easily, as theres really nothing in the way.

Just a thought. Seems like it would be well protected, just now sure if that allows big enough of a intercooler. You could always slightly angle it have it go further down, behind the air dam. maybe another 4".

tealcherokee said:
its the crap o matic 505 performance kit. uses 3/4 of the stock exhaust. by the time the exhaust gets to the turbo its prolly 100 deg, im surprised you even need a wastegate for the 6psi that kit pushes..... freaking junk

not to nitpick, but that 6psi is controlled by the wastegate, so that statement doesn't really make any sense. Yes you would need it. If you tried to run without one you'd be seeing alot more than 6psi. I'm thinking I'm reading just a little too careful and you meant blow-off valve. Supra guys like to use that trick of block plating the wastegate to see 35-45+ psi on the dyno for bragging rights.

While it does use a U-pipe to route the stock manifold over to the passenger side, which might not be the most efficient design, there are many much worse out there. STS uses that design that sits the turbo at the back of the vehicle, creating the need for return oil pump hardware and probably alot of lag. I can't say much on their quality of materials (not design) surviving or failing. Personally tho, I think for what they've designed, their pricetag of over $3000 is way overboard.

Still I think the 505 original TJ dyno showed a 6psi result at 92hp gain over their baseline dyno, and 104lb-ft gain, could be worse...still not worth the money though.

WheelinJR said:
not to nitpick, but that 6psi is controlled by the wastegate, so that statement doesn't really make any sense. Yes you would need it. If you tried to run without one you'd be seeing alot more than 6psi. I'm thinking I'm reading just a little too careful and you meant blow-off valve. Supra guys like to use that trick of block plating the wastegate to see 35-45+ psi on the dyno for bragging rights.

While it does use a U-pipe to route the stock manifold over to the passenger side, which might not be the most efficient design, there are many much worse out there. STS uses that design that sits the turbo at the back of the vehicle, creating the need for return oil pump hardware and probably alot of lag. I can't say much on their quality of materials (not design) surviving or failing. Personally tho, I think for what they've designed, their pricetag of over $3000 is way overboard.

Still I think the 505 original TJ dyno showed a 6psi result at 92hp gain over their baseline dyno, and 104lb-ft gain, could be worse...still not worth the money though.

i was being sarcastic about the wastegate, saying it was SOOOO inefficent that it could bairly make the 6psi..... btw, 6psi into a 190 horse motor NEVER equals 92 horse.... let alone not intercooled 14.7+6 = 20.7/14.7 = 1.4
190*1.4=266
268-190 = 78 gain.... at best

a setup w/ a shorter exhaust will make the turbo more efficent, more efficent = cooler air charge, intercooler = much cooler air charge = same power at lower psi (because in reality that turbo is prolly doing enough work to make 12psi if it were mounted w/ a shorter manifold)

Where are you getting 190? That sounds like a flywheel hp rating

Kenne Bell baselined their supercharger Jeep at 148whp, and 505 136whp.

Not that I am arguing #'s, they were just taken right off the website, the actual #'s weren't important. I don't know absolutely everything, but a basic # of adding psi doesn't really seem like you could just add it on and multiply.

The gain per psi would really depend on too many other factors, like turbo sizing to begin with. Beside that, psi is a measurement of the airflow not making it into the cylinders, its the pressure created when the valves closed and the compressed air that is still in the manifold is trapped. So a compressor with a map that flows more air at 6psi is going to see a bigger gain than a turbo that flows less at 6psi.

I still won't argue that there are much more efficient and better designs. But this one could be done cheap and the gains are decent.

Last edited:
tealcherokee said:
i was being sarcastic about the wastegate, saying it was SOOOO inefficent that it could bairly make the 6psi..... btw, 6psi into a 190 horse motor NEVER equals 92 horse.... let alone not intercooled 14.7+6 = 20.7/14.7 = 1.4
190*1.4=266
268-190 = 78 gain.... at best

a setup w/ a shorter exhaust will make the turbo more efficent, more efficent = cooler air charge, intercooler = much cooler air charge = same power at lower psi (because in reality that turbo is prolly doing enough work to make 12psi if it were mounted w/ a shorter manifold)

The manifold length in that setup is not going to matter. The wastegate is what controls boost. The Turbo would make in excess of 30psi if there were no wastegate there. At 6psi the Turbo is not working properly. Far below its efficency range. 6psi into a 190bhp engine can produce that amount of power. Power gained is going to based on displacemaent of the engine, fuel system, fuel type, ambient temperature, and a multitude of other factors. (I dyno tune turbo charged cars for a living)www.archerracing.com

That setup does look bad though. It looks as though they are going the route of most Turbo Honda owners. Way to big of a Turbo at way to low of boost.

jforse said:
The manifold length in that setup is not going to matter. The wastegate is what controls boost. The Turbo would make in excess of 30psi if there were no wastegate there. At 6psi the Turbo is not working properly. Far below its efficency range. 6psi into a 190bhp engine can produce that amount of power. Power gained is going to based on displacemaent of the engine, fuel system, fuel type, ambient temperature, and a multitude of other factors. (I dyno tune turbo charged cars for a living)www.archerracing.com

That setup does look bad though. It looks as though they are going the route of most Turbo Honda owners. Way to big of a Turbo at way to low of boost.

i fyou re-read what i said about the manifold lenght, i said the turbo is have to work harder that it should to make that 6 psi. therefore increasing lag and heat. and i know how a watergate works, again, i was being sarcastic..

as far as the turbo being too big, its actually too small. but they probably do that because its so far from the head.

Back