• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trying to find a set of Head Bolts...

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this has been covered. Tried a search, couldnt find anything.

I've been searching around town and I cant find a set of head bolts for my 95 4.0. I've been calling around everywhere and the best is can find is a set of 4 at a dealer on the other side of town. Obviously i need a set of 12. Just had a valve job done and this is my 2nd time reinstalling the head using this set of bolts. People always say that you arent supposed to use the same set more than twice. Where are you all getting a new set?

Any ideas on where to get a new set? This is frustrating as hell!

How important is it that I dont use this same set of head bolts?

Last edited:
It's very important to use new head bolts. Otherwise the torque will be off and you may develop a head gasket problem. I looked all over and ended up getting them at the dealer. Be prepared to shell out some $$$.

summitt racing doesnt have 'em. none of the dealers in town have 'em. none of the parts stores have 'em. WTF? This sucks.

Know of any place online to order them from?

<grin> My local Jeep parts pusher keeps them on the shelf.....

FSM says that the head bolts may be reused ONCE. Must be new after that. IIRC, there's 2 different bolts required.

tigerShark said:
Guess I'll be ordering them from the dealer. Theyre around 5 bucks a pop. Thanks guys.

Don't complain..... I needed to replace a couple of hub bolts on my 99 CTD 4x4 a couple of weeks ago (due to bad planning.....) $14.75 EACH. Fortunately, I didn't need a full set of 8.

Autozone can get them too. Around $35 and there shouldnt be shipping... Thing is... you have to order them for something like an 01 4.0. I just ordered a set when I did my head swap. They are perfect. The ones that go under the valve cover include two that have dowels for locating the rubber valve cover gasket... which is nice. I got the rubber valve cover gasket for an 01 at the dealership for around $35 as well. Much better than the cork one that always comes up if I look it up for my 94... I absolutly hate cork gaskets, and didnt want to just use gasket maker. So ide say either go with that headbolts.com or check autozone. There isnt even a listing for the headbolt set for my 94...not sure why. THey are the same except for the dowels for positioning the valve cover gasket. Removing and installing the valve cover is much easier. Good luck.

Justin

thanks ghettocruiser, i ended up ordering them from autozone picking them up today. its so weird that you have to order them for a newer year xj. was $35 plus tax like you said.

http://headbolts.com/amc.html

I see someone else saw that too!

One little nit: There are some early '87 4.0L that look like they are made with a 4.2L block (freeze plugs are the same as 4.2L that year only) and they take 4.2L headbolts (I just ran into that problem as the 4.0L headbolts wouldn't pass thru the head holes till I drilled them out)

Back