• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trimmed fenders no flares?

LETNER

NAXJA Forum User
Trimmed my fenders today and now i notice im going to have a problem with my paint flaking,but i want to run without flares.Ive seen a lot of posts with people running this style.My quistion is how do you keep the paint from flaking off over time without running that plastic molding?

If it were me, I would sand it down and after taping it off, hit it with some bed liner spray.

I tried to get a photo of what I did but was unsuccessful. I'll try to describe it to you as best that I can.
I had removed the stock flares and then trimmed off the lower portion of the sheet metal just up to the spot welds. This is in referance to the rear fender wells. Just to keep uniform I trimmed the same amount off the front as well.
I then lightly ground off the burrs with a 4.5" angle grinder. I masked off @ 1'' up from the edge and applied Bondo Brand Professional Under Coating. This is a rubberized spray application that is paintable. I also will finish the opening off with 3/8" ID hose. With the right prep the bondo is pretty durable and finishes in a matt or flat finish. I'm going to work on getting some photo's if you have any other questions they may help.

Thanks for the info guys, that gives me a few ideas.If you can get those pics together i would like to see them if you cant thanks for the good description.

I trimmed well over a year ago up front. I made the cuts with a Dremmel and then used a hand file to get everything smooth. All I did was take some white touch up paint and hit the edge with it. I've had zero paint flake off and no signs of rust yet. I'm getting ready to install TJ flares though as soon as it warms up.

Tape the area off and cut it with the tape on, has worked great on my jeep and many of my friends as well. Plasma cutter also does wonders.

silicone and door moulding. no prob in two years. (i used silicone the second time because the "self-adhesive" properties of those mouldings isn't a very strong bond, nor will it seal your problem.)

Back