• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tricks for pulling a frozen Pitman Arm?

After I spent about 4 hours on it, broke two pullers, used half a can of PB and beat the crap out of a fork, I cut it off with a cut-off wheel in about 2 minutes and was very happy to throw it in the trash afterwards.

It's not a very good idea to use a pickle fork, to say the least. It might work, but you're jamming one tapered gear into another internally when you do that. So be careful!

I broke my Snap-On puller on a stubborn Ford. Ended up using an oxy-ace torch with a small welding tip to keep the heat to a pinpoint. Works great.

Ray H said:
After I spent about 4 hours on it, broke two pullers, used half a can of PB and beat the crap out of a fork, I cut it off with a cut-off wheel in about 2 minutes and was very happy to throw it in the trash afterwards.

I dug this thread up due to the fact that it helped me alot! I met the pitman arm from h*** yesterday! I broke 2 pullers (good quality) and still no budge, even with heat. I pulled up this thread and took Rays advice. I was able to pull the arm with a cheap puller after giving the pittman arm a slice with the cut-off wheel. I've never had this issue with a XJ but this TJ was a PITA! Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

pitmanbq6.jpg

Ray H said:

2X that. I used a dremmel on my buddies TJ. Took like ten minutes. That was after breaking a 3 arm puller.

I've always used a non-adjustable pitman arm puller, tighten it down with an impact and hit the end that you just took the impact off of with a, yes, BFH a couple times. Retighten, whack whack, retighten, ...... You don't need to kill it with the hammer, just a few solid hit and then retighten. You hit it too hard, too many times and you'll break the top. Just good,solid hits.

Ive only had trouble getting them off at the junkyard.

Didnt have any heat, pb blaster or anything else that would have helped. So I just tightened the puller, beat on the pitman arm/steering box/whatever else was in my way, retighten puller, beat.... you get the idea.

Not only was I able to finally get the pitman arm off, I also got all of my anger out. This method wont help if you care about what your working on, but a 5lb sledge helps for those cases that you dont.

Dear Members

Reference The Pitman ( Any Pitman ) As Suggested By Some Members Whack The Hell Out Of It. Hit It Every Where . Heat It Up NO NO NO.

Do Place A Rather Well Made Puller.
Do Try To Position The Puller Correctly.
Do Tighten Quite Firmly ( TAP puller BASE AS Tightening Procedures

Do Use Plenty Of Penetrating Fluid

( MOST importantly )

IF YOU CAN ACCESS A COMPRESSOR USE THE AIR chisel Attachment & GENTLY VIBRATE THE PITMAN OFF. Using The Hole Punch Attachment NOT CHISEL OFF COAX IT OFF
((( Do Take Grate Care NOT TO POSITION YOUR SELF IN SUCH A WAY THAT WHEN THE PITMAN Gives you are not dropped on your face Onto The Braking Disc Components as i have seen many apprentices with bruising and cuts TO THEIR FACE.

Failure To Access A Compressor Keep Tightening The Clamp Whilst Tapping In A Simulated manner The Side Of The Pitman Arm Coxing The Item To Loosen.

I Have Followed This Question For Several Years On A Verity Of Sites And Enjoyed The Views Of Many Experienced And Inexperienced Writers.

Appears Not To Budge

( CAUTION ) If You get carried away cutting numerous grooves you will inevitably end with no foundation to place the puller.

Finally CUT a V into The Pitman TAKING EXTREME CARE NOT TO CUT INTO THE SPLINE OF THE SHAFT Or Placing The CUT In A Former But Vital Clamping Position continuing the above process with or without compressed air assistance.

I HAVE ENCOUNTERED THAT MANUFACTURES ARE MAKING PITMAN ARMS THAT LOOK VERY SIMILAR DO TAKE GRATE CARE IN YOUR PURCHASE, especially older vehicles are fitted with limited time factored parts IE the pitman arms are in appearance identical the shaft size fitting should be very carefully checked ,

The best of luck with your pitman

xristos

Back