• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRICKS FOR BETTER GAS MILEAGE

ok bought a nice set of 31 at's from tire rack and just won a set of jeep wheels on ebay,should have everything in a week i will post my results after a few tanks.

buying a second truck to get better mpg aint going to cut it for me,insurance is 3800.00 a year for 1 car as it is,think about it,spend 2000.00 on a small pickup,another 3000.00 for insurance,another 350.00 for tax and tags,so the minute i get in the driver seat to go for my first fill up i am in the hole 5300.00 so i can save money on gas.all you guys that get cheap insurance in other states be my guest to move to nyc for a year so you can see how good you really have it. its just not practical to buy a second truck for work here.this state bleeds you dry on taxes,insurance,gas,and electric and RENT, local pizza shop charges 19.00 for a large plain and they aint even italians.

Try increasing yur tire pressure as high as you can without crowning. I cleaned the snot out of my K+N and brought my tire pressure up to 45 psi. I went from 13 to 19.2 mpg. Yeah. i'm unfortunately thinking the honda thing too. The upside............................motorcycles get even better milage!

Usually, if you actually run the numbers, buying a second vehicle to "save money" on gas just doesn't work. The payoff period is too long. Not worth it.

$300 Dodge omni, gets 29mpg, good shape, 93k miles, $400 in coilovers and low-pro wheels and tires and it handles like a slot car too!

dru9 said:
That's still not too bad, considering a claim, ticket and young age for just over $3000 a year. They kill new drivers up here. I've seen people pay over $4K a year as a first driver.

I'm 39, married, no tickets, no accidents, blah blah blah. My cost for insuring my 88 Saab, when I had it, was about $880 a year.

My Jeep is covered by my company, so that's high at about $1200 a year. Oh yeah, these prices are for liability only, but I digress.

As far as the mileage goes, I'm getting about 440 kms a tank. Pretty crap. Not sure what to do next, as it passed emissions with better than average numbers.

i was paying $400 a month on a car I got for free (90 laser) with bare minimum on it when i was 18... it was tough when u get crap for pay from part time jobs, now with the jeep and being 22 i pay a little over $300 a month minimum coverage now i just make it up in gas lol i love massachusetts....

BruceB83 said:
Usually, if you actually run the numbers, buying a second vehicle to "save money" on gas just doesn't work. The payoff period is too long. Not worth it.

You save on maintenance and wear and tear on the Jeep though. 35" Mt's cost a lot more to replace than the tires on the Galant and they don't last as long.

I've got a '98 Galant that get's 30 mpg and is fast and comfortable. :conceited

Back