• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRICKS FOR BETTER GAS MILEAGE

I'm not sure with what my mpg is. Don't really want to know. With eight inches and 35'' mall terrains w/ the kayak's on the roof, rods on the front, and full of crap. I can almost watch the gauge go down when passing at 70+. As before, it's a Jeep, not economical. I've too been toying with the idea on a beater. But, 2 insurances, possibly a payment. Negative. XJ it is.

dru9 said:
Isn't the gas money you save being spent on insuring a second car?
liability insurance on my $200 Honda is $90 a half, and I get a week of travel out of 10 gallons of fuel. My average week is about 300 miles.

Your call.

87manche said:
liability insurance on my $200 Honda is $90 a half, and I get a week of travel out of 10 gallons of fuel. My average week is about 300 miles.

Your call.
That's cheap. I'd be paying about 1000 here in Toronto.

Tha is not so bad, I got about 13mpg and gasoline here is like 5 USD / gallon, and still I am drivin an XJ 33" 4,56. Yep not the only jeep in our family. The easy maintenace and chep parts still outweight the complicated and expensive maintenance of european cars. Keep your XJs!!

dru9 said:
That's cheap. I'd be paying about 1000 here in Toronto.

that's freaking ridiculous!

We've got 4 vehicles here, two jeeps and two DD's, The wife has full coverage, the other three have liability and comprehensive, total insurance cost for a half is only about $500 bucks, with the wife's full coverage the majority of that.

87manche said:
that's freaking ridiculous!

We've got 4 vehicles here, two jeeps and two DD's, The wife has full coverage, the other three have liability and comprehensive, total insurance cost for a half is only about $500 bucks, with the wife's full coverage the majority of that.
Truly ridiculous, but insurance is bull$h!+ up here. About a $1000 a year, not half a year (read that wrong). It finds a reason to go up every year, even with a clean record.

350 miles to the tank... i only wish i knew what that was like. Im averaging 170 to 200 miles to a tank mostly highway. Id say stick with what you got dont fix whats not broken. just my .02 cents.

Been going through the same deal w/ my '99 the past few months. Ditch anything up on the roof you aren't absolutely in love with (spare, rack, lights, etc..) and lose any other dead weight you don't really need inside (hi-lift, spare parts, car audio, etc..) Possibly the most important changes will have to be made in your driving style. Real easy on takeoff helps, but won't do a whole lot. On the highway, the slower the better, but within reason. Drafting semi's sure helps, but is dangerous and can aggravate them. I have a 2 hour drive to school, so I often radio the drivers as I am getting on the highway and find someone that doesn't mind me tailing them. Usually they are pretty cool about it, once they know what you are doing, and will sometimes even warn you if they see anything coming up ahead. I recently bought a Scangauge, so I have been experimenting with different things seeing what helps and to what extent.

I get around 17 mpg going about 70 with 31's and 4in and 3.55 gears, however most of my driving is about 50, windy roads in the mountains, and it gets about 20 mpg. When ever I have to go somewhere I get on the interstate and find a truck(not that hard since I'm at a weigh station exit) and stay behind it the whole way to my destination, I work at a ski-resort about 50 miles away and I get 30mpg drafting the whole way, it makes it worth it, just allow a few extra minutes becuase your not going to be going 70 the whole time.

Evan463 said:
350 miles to the tank... i only wish i knew what that was like. Im averaging 170 to 200 miles to a tank mostly highway. Id say stick with what you got dont fix whats not broken. just my .02 cents.

man I second that, stop whining I didn't even get that stock "350 miles" x 1.6 (KM conversion) 560KM's per tank! Thats like 20mpg if you estimate 17.5 gallons on fill up.

I am currently travelling about 250km/tank which is 156 miles you have nothing to bitch about

my current setup is a '96 with 3.5" lift and 31's and I am driving like a grandma in the city. I have changed this and that the only thing left to do is my 02 sensors, which I am going to do. I might replace the cat as well and see wtf is up, no codes being tossed just piss poor mileage

same here with my 02 sensors its all i have left to try i have them sitting on a shelf but the one in my cat was welded on by some mechanic and ive come to the conclusion that a new cat will probly be less of a hassel then trying to get that out... but yeh id be happy if i even got 240 miles to a tank... and its defiantly not my driving. the grandmas are the ones flying by me flipping me off. haha. ive even tryed gunning it at every stop for a week just to see if maybe somehow that would help but it turned out to be worse.

if you want to keep the 33 inch look get them in a 10.5 width and a highway tread that will help a little and you still get the look off an off roader.

I'm happy when I can get 300mi out of a tank and it sits an inch lower than stock with 255/60/15s(they do drag alot). Anyhow I won't know if I can get better mileage until I get a wideband o2 and see how rich it is running and then adjust the fuel pressure and MAP accordingly. You're probably getting better mileage than 90% of us here, so you won't find too much sympathy(maybe some jealousy).

Have you thought about putting a rack on a civic???:dunce:
I have 91 yota trecel with a full rack ladder tool box
Even a welder and i still get 50 mpg.

2000 4.5 33" 260 mpg SOunds like you got the wrong job to be crying about mpg

Last edited:
Truly ridiculous, but insurance is bull$h!+ up here. About a $1000 a year, not half a year (read that wrong). It finds a reason to go up every year, even with a clean record.

Man you guys are lucky, I wish I paid 1000 a HALF!!

Being 19 (under 25), having 1 ticket, and 1 claim, my insurance is set at a whopping $256.67 a MONTH! you do the math, because I'll start crying if I do lol.

DanMan2k06 said:

Being 19 (under 25), having 1 ticket, and 1 claim, my insurance is set at a whopping $256.67 a MONTH! you do the math, because I'll start crying if I do lol.

Hmmm.... I won't abuse your fragile ego, and tell you I pay $245 a half. For three vehicles. One with full, the other two with state limit liability.

But being married, 35, no claims, no tickets in 10 years, and coupled with house insurance makes the price pretty good.

DanMan2k06 said:

That's still not too bad, considering a claim, ticket and young age for just over $3000 a year. They kill new drivers up here. I've seen people pay over $4K a year as a first driver.

I'm 39, married, no tickets, no accidents, blah blah blah. My cost for insuring my 88 Saab, when I had it, was about $880 a year.

My Jeep is covered by my company, so that's high at about $1200 a year. Oh yeah, these prices are for liability only, but I digress.

As far as the mileage goes, I'm getting about 440 kms a tank. Pretty crap. Not sure what to do next, as it passed emissions with better than average numbers.

ok so back to the mpg thing
I would try out some used 31's before you go buyin new ones
but beware
I forget what gears you said you were running but if your already properly geared for the 33's (aka 4.10's or 4.56's) dropping to 31's will probably LOWER your mpg because it will essentially take your 4.56's and make them into a 4.76 and make it rev higher on the highway

gears are a touchy topic for mpg
if your stock you an usually go UP newmerically 1 or 2 steps (from a 3.07 to a 3.55 or even a 3.73) and not have it change too much mpg might even go up but anymore than that unless you get a taller tire to compensate for the lower gears

if you have some cheap 16" wheels you could use, get your self some 235/85/16's
they are narrow and tall so they will decent for mpg they round out to just under 32" tall. so they should be pretty close to what you run now. plus they are meant for medium duty trucks and dually's so they will be a very stiff tire and should be a very hard compound so they shopuld help you out but on a side note they will also be kinda heavy because of their intended use so the lighter wheel you can find the better off you will be

ok so I just went back and read the first post. since your only runnin 4.10's yes drop back to a 31" tire and it should put you right in the sweet spot of the engine at cruise speed, and it will give you a little better acceleration around town which sounds weird but you will be able to get off the line easier without using AS MUCH THROTTLE as with the 33's. another tip get rid of the cold air intake it sounds backwards but if you look at it like this
cold air makes the engine run richer
richer mixture means more fuel being used to compensate for the extra air in the mix
try goin back to the stock setup and see what it gets ya

Back