• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tri-Xenon

Good point. Here are some pics that I found while doing some research that show a comparison between halogen and LEDs. Just thought it was worth looking into since I just replaced all of my interior bulbs with LEDs and really liked both the color and output of the lights.

Halogen

paradox-albums-album-pics-posting-reference-picture2395-halogen-headlights-prius-iii.jpg

LEDs

paradox-albums-album-pics-posting-reference-picture2396-led-headlights-prius-v.jpg

hehe talk about reviving an old thread. Anyways, I had to return those d1S ultinons; they had faulty bases (I switched back to my stock osrams in the headlights... still using the ultinons on my foglights however).

It will be hard to get a decent set of D2S bulbs in 6000k for 50bucks (almost impossible actually); ebay has plenty for ~30bucks shipped, but there are no guarantees. Your best bet would be to pick-up another set of stock 4100-4300k bulbs.

oh, and to my understanding, you're supposed to keep the housing reflector along with the H4/D1S shield. They're meant to fit H4 housings without any modification, and most H4 housings have a reflector. BTW, these guys seem to have the best deal on the shields
http://www.hidconcept.com/Adapters-h4.html

Thanks for the info Urban, I think I will price one replacement bulb on monday at work. Seeing as it will be a Benz quality part hopefully there won't be to big of a difference from bulb to bulb.

Also I hope they are not to ungodly expensive after my employee discount.

You can score OEM bulbs cheap on eBay, and since most OEM bulbs are Philips/Osram you'll know the quality will be solid (unlike the no-name aftermarket Chinese variety). I've seen pairs of stock 4300k bulbs go for ~26bucks on eBay. I doubt you'll get them anywhere near that price at the stealership. Just search "(Philips, Osram) d2s"

oh, and I forgot to mention that since you have those CLK Bi-Xenon headlights you could strip them of the projector assemblies/ retrofit your 6054s into a proper HID set-up. I'm not saying it would be easy (you'd have to cut your headlight buckets), but at least, this way, you'd have a clean cut-off, and get to keep your high beam.

Well after messin with them I realized they're not Bi-Xenon they have a halogen high beam. But maybe I'll try and pick up some cheap ebay housings to hack up and try to get the projector them.

I like the way the Spitzkraft housing looks! I looked on SUVlights.com and can't find them anywhere. Is there anyone else that sells them cheaper than $1000? Or does anyone sell a housing like that one (like an immitation?)

Last edited:
There are rectangular LED headlights which fits the XJ. As soon as I find a new XJ to build up I´ll be posting pics of it. I´m working with the german reseller of this lights and we of course hope to sell some of then after installing the first sets and spreading the word. So please, have a little more patience, there should be photos in the next weeks.

I'd be interested to see those.

I work at Lexus, the next time I work on an LS600h I'll be sure to get some detailed wall shots of it's LED headlight setup. After driving one at night, I have to say they are pretty impressive. But then again so is the heat that they generate :O

That's some damn, DAMN fine work my friend. It's odd this thread was resurrected
because I was going to update it this week. I had an accident with one of my
projector fogs this year. I went for a car wash, some water got into the projector,
and this happened.

One of my Ultinons exploded in the projector
microDE-accident-02.jpg

The funny thing was that it still worked after this
microDE-accident-01.jpg

Anyways I finally broke down, and purchased some Hella Micro DEs. HIDPlanet had
some great write-ups retrofitting them for HID. I fastened the bulbs:
microDE-01.jpg

I used a 1" hole saw bit on the rubber boot, so I can pass the wires through
microDE-02.jpg

Sealed it up
microDE-03.jpg

Slapped together something for the adjustment bolt
(the old bracket was too small for the Micro DEs)
microDE-04.jpg

Put it together.
microDE-05.jpg

I'll try to re-install everything tomorrow provided it doesn't rain.

I'd be interested to see those.

I work at Lexus, the next time I work on an LS600h I'll be sure to get some detailed wall shots of it's LED headlight setup. After driving one at night, I have to say they are pretty impressive. But then again so is the heat that they generate :O
LED's generate enough heat the Car Manufacturers put cooling fans inside the headlights so they don't burn out. What happens if the fan fails and your lights burn out? That's not a scenario I want and I'm sure as hell not going to install headlight fans in my Jeep LOL :laugh3:
Besides I love HID for the colorful cutoff...I've yet to see a nice (colorful) cutoff from LED's.
Have you?
The only LED's headlights I've seen were round and on a Wrangler. They were expensive and had worse output than a sealed beam.

Oh for sure I agree with you guys on HID's. I think right now the whole LED headlight thing is more for bragging rights.

Although that being said, I guess it is a pretty big accomplishment from an engineering standpoint. It can only get better from here...

Oh for sure I agree with you guys on HID's. I think right now the whole LED headlight thing is more for bragging rights.

Although that being said, I guess it is a pretty big accomplishment from an engineering standpoint. It can only get better from here...
Agreed
It seems that any tech advances are met by skepticism and for good reason. LED headlights are probably in our future but for now they're too expensive and impractical for the common car. It's good to have options because even HID is not for everyone and has it's drawbacks just like Halogen.
People that buy LED headlights now are the same people who bought and are still putting HID "kits" into Halogen housings.
They bought into the hype and can't truly discern the difference in Quality, well dispersed light VS. Bright, glaring, innefective light.
Some things will never change..sigh

Hi Urban,

The Jeep Looks excellent ! I have been busy working in the German car industry for many years at Audi, Mercedes and Porsche and have ended up neglecting my Jeep Cherokee back home, which I had originally ordered new with 5 Speed, Skids and Trak Loc from the factory back in '97.

Great vehicle by the way and great fun to drive with Bilsteins and Michelin AT's the Trak Loc actually works well in the corners as well !

I actually have a set of XENARC 1010's that I have been sitting on after having bought them years ago for $349.

My question is, I had intended them as driving lights on the Jeep.
They are about the same width but are slightly deeper at 4" vs. the stock foglights being only about 2.5".

They are activated by a switch on a key fob which I never cared for.
Hence partly as to why they have remained in the box.

What would you recommend that I do as far as packaging/mounting and integrating them for best fitting on my Cherokee ?
Is there another harness for example that would allow me to more seamlessly integrate my lights into the Cherokee ?

I have the entire kit, harnesses, brackets etc. But I now am asking if you have seen/read/heard of anyone mounting these as driving lights on their Cherokee and activating them as normal, via the foglight switch for example ?

But I'd love to have the Xenons as auxiliary lights On My JEEP!!! I have them on my DD car and love them. I can spot a deer hundreds of yards away ....no problem !!! Much safer especially here in New Hampshire when the deer are migrating.

Thanks !!

Three Pedal XJ Driver.

Last edited:
Back