• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission shopping

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know where to buy NEW or remanufactured transmissions?
97 4.0 auto AW4
Also looking into a tranny cooler as well.
Ive heard of B&M and a few others, recomendations?

How many xj's were ever made? How many are sitting in junkyards? I think that the general consesus is that the aw4 is damn near bullet proof. Should it ever go bad though, they don't take well to rebuilds. You're better off buying a used one (for much cheaper I might add) and bolting it in.

That just seems to be the opinion I've picked up from wasting too much time on the net. YMMV

I wasn't trying to be obnoxious. I know that at least with a Dodge truck to get an auto from a reman place is about the same cost as directly from Chrysler reman but they have a good warrenty.

Pillage around. The AW4 was used in XJ, MJ, 1993 ZJ, and (I think) some YJ/TJ. It was also used by Toyota (it's their design) in the pickup, RWD van, and some RWD cars. It may also be in 4Runner - but I'm not sure - and some Lexus. I think Toyota called it an A03-40 (or something similar;) but the point I'm making is that it's a popular box, comparable in available to the THM350/400 and C-4/5/6 - probably the A727 as well.

I know there are some outfits that deal with "performance upgrades" for the AW4 (like Level Ten - www.levelten.com, I think,) so they probably handle overhauls as well.

I've also heard that the AW4 doesn't take too well to home rebuilds, but no-one seems to have told that to my 1989 Limited - I overhauled that box about 60Kmiles ago without incident (or my 1987 Pioneer - I did that one about 90K ago.)

The AW4 is a simple box - no bands! - but it wasn't my first slushbox to rebuild either, so that might have something to do with it. If you're game, the ATSG service/overhaul manual is floating around, and I might have a copy myself. Getting an AW4 out of a rollover and having it overhauled might be an option for you - the bellhousing and transfer case adapter are both removable (but make sure you get a 4WD version, since the mainshafts are different.) The central case is the same on every version, so you can swap the bell and adapter without worry.

If I just wanted to get the thing running, I'd probably buy a low-miler, drop the valve body and clean it (varnish and crud does tend to build up in there) and re-seal the thing - a gasket, seal, check ball, and filter kit for the thing should run you less than $100. You'll have extra valve body gaskets when you're done - just toss them (there are about four different valve body versions - but the seals and the rest of the gaskets are all the same.) Be sure to take a picture of the check ball locations before you remove anything! Probably no need to disturb the clutches and gearsets - the only reason I did was because I'd done loads of slushboxes before, but I hadn't seen the inside of an AW4 yet (and I went and bought a $50 core that turned out to be buildable, so I did.) Ended up going through the whole thing - and I made all the "special tools" they said I needed for about $15 worth of shop scrap and hardware store material.

Out of all the automatics I've been through, the AW4 was probably the simplest.

Try Discount Jeep parts,look under XJ surplus,New AW4 tranny for $1295 or so.
Wayne

Try Discount Jeep parts,look under XJ surplus,New AW4 tranny for $1299 or so.
Wayne

I know u wernt trying to be obnoxious Dr. Moab i really ment thanks.
And to everyone else. Ill look into Chrsler and all the rest. For the money, i might as well look for a good used one. I got a friend that works at JW auto wreckers so ill prob just chance it there first. But i still would like to buy a remanned one. Expensive though.

Back