• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission removal questions

Chaosrider

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

First a little about me and my situation.

I live in Kuujjuaq,Qc wich is a very isolated village in northern quebec.
I recently bought a 1989 XJ with a bad Peugeot BA10 and got a 1996 AX15 with the mount, crossmember and clutch cylinder.

I am in the middle of removing the transmission and am just waiting for the clutch parts and pilot bushings to proceed with the last 4 bellhousing bolts and here is my question.

I am doing the repairs outside on a sand spot on a tarp. I was wondering how I should proceed for the removal and installation of the trans/TC assembly. I tough of placing a wood board and use a jack to roll it out slowly (just a standard jack, I don't have a transmission one)

Anybody with a better idea?

Also, like I said in another thread, do you think I'll be fine with 10W-30 to fill it once I'm done?And would the shifter hole be a good place to fill it from?

Thanks a lot.

Well, the jack with be pretty much useless if you're not on a hard flat surface, and a wood board under the jack will be pretty much the absolute minimum as far as a surface. You're going to need to maneuver it around a little, so some left-right spacing will be required.

Regardless, without a more professional setup with a dedicated jack etc, you are definitely going to want to remove the TC first to cut down on weight. It's light enough that you can remove it by hand, but drain the fluid first.

I'm not sure what to say about removal and installation of the transmission over a rough surface. The easy answer is to move the jeep over a concrete pad somewhere. If that's not an option, it might be less headache in the end to just have two friends manually handle lifting the transmission, with you guiding it. The difficulty of doing this will be hugely impacted by how high you can raise the vehicle, whether using jacks or just muscle power.

Hi,

Had a little time to work on it today.

The BA10 is now out, turned out I used a wood board (a large one so it was filling pretty much the whole underside) and wiggled it around until it came free. Turns out the assembly is pretty well balanced on the jack so I may be lucky with the new one. I will get help tough so it will be easier to align it.

I should be able to get the clutch out tomorrow and then I hope to get the new one soon to begin putting it back together.

1 little questions now, does the speedometer gear on the transfer case fit where the sensor is on the new one

Back