• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Lines, 98 XJ, searched

XJ_Otto

NAXJA Forum User
BOTH lines are dripping pretty good now...Im guessing b/c its cold out or something. They used to leak just slightly, and this summer it went away, and now...BAM!....dripping a ton at the hard line-to-soft line connections near the front differential.

Info:
1998 Cherokee Classic
4.0 L
Auto Transmission
4x4
No Auxillary cooler, just the one in the Radiator

Questions:
Whenever I look at parts stores online, Im seeing 3 lines for sale for my Jeep. Im only seeing 2 on the Jeep...both come out of the right side of the tranny up towards the front. One goes to the top of the radiator and has a hex connection and the other has quick connects at both sides. So what is the 3rd line?

Also, the parts online seem to have pretty specific pictures of the ends...the lines they show dont look like the lines Ill need. I want 2 complete lines that go from the radiator to the transmission.

Anyone know exactly what Im talking about? Have P/N's? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Oh, Im assuming I need to drain the tranny before doing this?

I also have the FSM for a 99 and I cannot find anything but a couple of crappy pics in Section 21 and most of that talks about the Aux Cooler, which I dont have. Know where to look??

Last edited:
The line from the trans output to the threaded fitting on the rad is actually two pieces. I wrote down some part numbers when I was trying to figure out what I'd do to fix mine. I can't guarantee these are correct, but I believe they are.

52028328 Upper at radiator (threaded fitting) Dorman ??????
52028566AC From upper line to trans output (front fitting) Dorman 624354
52028605AC lower radiator(QD fitting) to trans return (rear) Dorman 624355

All that aside, you could also replace the OE lines and QDs at the trans with adapters, a handful of fittings, and rubber line. See this thread for an example and some part numbers for that kind of thing.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1045807

I had the same problem.... IDK how much they are charging for replacements..... But....

For about $60 you can buy a trans cooler and install it. It will fix the leaks and you get a trans cooler as well.

And the biggest bonus is you get rid of those stupid "quick disconnects".....(which are never "quick" and rarely want to "disconnect")....

Last edited:
52028328 Upper at radiator (threaded fitting) Dorman ??????
52028566AC From upper line to trans output (front fitting) Dorman 624354
52028605AC lower radiator(QD fitting) to trans return (rear) Dorman 624355[/url]

Here's what I got from Mopar Parts America.....

52028328 TUBE SUPPLY $6.75

52028566AD Return tube Return tube - 4.0 liter 1997-1999 $46.06
(Part number 52028566AC was superceded by part number 52028566AD.)

52028605AD Inlet tube Inlet tube - 4.0 liter
1997 -1999 $47.62
(Part number 52028605AC was superceded by part number 52028605AD.)

So it would cost over $100 to replace the stock lines, you still have the crappy QD's, and you won't have a trans cooler.

Or you can do what I and so many others did:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60381/10002/-1

Last edited:
Back