• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case shift shaft seal

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to replace the o ring around the shaft without having to open the TC?
This is the shaft that we turn to shift from 2X4 to 4X4.

Sorry to re-hash an old post, but does anyone know the answer to this? I have the shift shaft seal leaking on my NP231 and it looks like the case needs to be opened to replace the o-ring.

Any help appreciated!

Aaron

I've been told you can get it out with a pic, but I never could. At 175k I just went ahead and opened it up and replaced the worn stuff.

That's what I suspected. There is very little clearance to get any tools in there to remove the retainer and o-ring.

Anybody else had any luck removing the shift shaft o-ring on an NP231 without opening the case?

In addition, if I remove the case and open it up, does anyone have any recommendations of things to do while it is out of the truck? Obviously front and rear output seals, input seal, shift shaft seal. Anything else? Beneficial modifications to do while it is off? It already has an SYE.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input in advance.

Aaron

How would it be possible to replace the O-ring with the shaft still in place?The shaft can only be removed from the inside.

Yes, you can use a pick to remove the old o-ring and slip the new one in is easy. There is also a nylon bushing of sorts you may want to replace. I asked this a while ago on a forum and didn't get an answer.. i just tried it.
The o-ring is on the outside of the case.

Back